2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Starting to think I messed up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

^^^ difference is only at 6k??

Horsepower curve bro, horsepower curve...
Old 05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
NFGZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phenom
^^^ difference is only at 6k??

Horsepower curve bro, horsepower curve...
Thank you... lol
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

I'll try to shed some light for you OP...

I'm an HR owner and have driven a non revup DE, been in plenty of revups and yeah, the HR is nice in comparison. I recommend it to people who ask me which year Z to look at simply because if its possible financially, it makes complete sense.

That being said, the hr motor is absolutely not necessary to enjoy a Z. The 370z came out and trumps my HR 350z in nearly every performance aspect. Did I feel the need to rush out and trade my HR for the superior 370? Hell no, I love my car, and it doesn't matter what the next gen Z comes equipped with, its not going to affect the adequacy of my car. Besides, if I upgrade to a 370, there's always gonna be something else for more money that outperforms it.

Bottom line op, you're gonna love your Z. Like others said, afterall its a Z. Especially if you're planning an upgrade as soon as a year from now, just enjoy your car for the time being and dont stress yourself out.

Last edited by Phenom; 05-01-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:59 PM
jmShiftinZ

even some of the 06 owners that went through the long process the do the warranty covered engine swap back in the day from rev up ver1 to rev up v2 failed again on the oc issue. NNA said no v3 since hr platform was right around the corner.

op: do the 1k mile rate test to see where you stand at least if not already doing that then you can make a better decision on to keep the car long term or not. If it's one of the unlucky ones then get hr for sure.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Sunderland

^^^ you sir Phenom, are a saint. Thank you.

Last edited by Sunderland; 05-01-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
i have it too. i think its the power steering. makes more noise when i turn the wheel within the first 30 seconds of cold startup. maybe the steering fluid is just low.
Please no!!!

I had my power steering fluid and tranny fluid changed by Nissan recently.

The tranny blew due to wrong fluid put in. Are you telling me they might have messed up my power steering also?

This noise started right after they changed those fluids
Old 05-02-2013, 03:35 AM
SlamHamer

Originally Posted by Phenom
I'll try to shed some light for you OP...

I'm an HR owner and have driven a non revup DE, been in plenty of revups and yeah, the HR is nice in comparison. I recommend it to people who ask me which year Z to look at simply because if its possible financially, it makes complete sense.

That being said, the hr motor is absolutely not necessary to enjoy a Z. The 370z came out and trumps my HR 350z in nearly every performance aspect. Did I feel the need to rush out and trade my HR for the superior 370? Hell no, I love my car, and it doesn't matter what the next gen Z comes equipped with, its not going to affect the adequacy of my car. Besides, if I upgrade to a 370, there's always gonna be something else for more money that outperforms it.

Bottom line op, you're gonna love your Z. Like others said, afterall its a Z. Especially if you're planning an upgrade as soon as a year from now, just enjoy your car for the time being and dont stress yourself out.
^^ this!! I'm not runnning fullspeed to a Nissan Dealership to trade in my 350 for a 370. I love the look/feel/sound/drivability/dependability of my 350. Chances are, if you just drive your Z youll fall in love with it.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 AM
smokescreen

the way i see it, if the motor starts to go south, you have a good reason to pull it, make it stronger, and enjoy it more. i love my z. I change the oil every 3.5k miles. If anything shows the slightest abnormalities, i get it looked at. but in the sense that something goes wrong, i'm going to enjoy my wrench time, just as any owner should. congrats on the z, love her, she'll love you back.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That whining sound might be the transmission, try pushing the clutch down to see if you hear the noise anymore. Our transmissions are pretty loud, even worse when you have a upgraded flywheel. But as long as you keep an eye on your oil (you should be doing this anyways, Rev-up or not) you should be golden.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 AM
WeightLimit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Be happy you bought a Touring instead of a Base model.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 AM
jmShiftinZ

what is all this "fall in love with it" stuff when we don't even know the rate oil consumption of said car yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:37 AM
WeightLimit

Because nobody cares about inner beauty.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 AM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by WeightLimit
Because nobody cares about inner beauty.
LOL!

I cant say I wouldnt mind having a 370.... First thing I'd have done is get it painted san marino blue.. LOL
Old 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM
Sunderland

It's not the end of the world if it does consume a bit of oil. As long as it isn't like 2 or so quarts between changes. Pushing 500 miles and no sign of consumption yet. *knocks on wood*.
Definitely loving the touring model though!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
Please no!!!

I had my power steering fluid and tranny fluid changed by Nissan recently.

The tranny blew due to wrong fluid put in. Are you telling me they might have messed up my power steering also?

This noise started right after they changed those fluids
my noise started after i got it back from a body shop as well. but i know they didnt do anything to the tranny fluid. they may have done something to my steering fluid but i doubt it. i think mine is just whining at cold start from low fluid due to bad alignment and overuse of the rack.
im also pretty sure the wrong steering fluid wont hurt it. it just wont work correctly until you change it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM
WeightLimit

Originally Posted by Sunderland
It's not the end of the world if it does consume a bit of oil. As long as it isn't like 2 or so quarts between changes. Pushing 500 miles and no sign of consumption yet. *knocks on wood*.
Definitely loving the touring model though!
It's definitely not. I've had my '04 since March of '09. It's been consuming oil since day 1, 1/2 quart every 1k miles. For whatever reason I barely burn any on road trips. I've driven from AZ to NY 3 times, a half quart was all I needed to put in each time.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
PeterFromSDiego

The differences between an HR and rev up model are noticeable, but not crazy enough to go through the trouble of trading, looking, etc. You'll love ANY z either way.

The whole oil consumption thing is not a bad thing at all - if you have warranty - I replaced my tranny, clutch, fly wheel and they installed a V2 short block...didn't cost me a dime. My car runs strong and healthy as a DE rev up
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
SD350dude

pretty sure that whining noise is the throw out bearing in the tranny? I've got the same thing going on in mine. I'm at 66Kmiles on stock clutch
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 PM
jmShiftinZ

for those of you who act like it's no big deal read what all these Z owners in these links went through with the oc issue. Not everyone was lucky!

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-update-3.html

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-...-warranty.html

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/nissa...nsumption.html

http://www.the370z.com/engine-drivet...nsumption.html

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f68/...-burner-48867/

http://g35driver.com/forums/g35-seda...es-solved.html

http://forums.350zclubofflorida.net/...read.php?t=997

http://www.*********.com/forums/123-...-problems.html
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SD350dude
pretty sure that whining noise is the throw out bearing in the tranny? I've got the same thing going on in mine. I'm at 66Kmiles on stock clutch
what is the downside of a bad throwout bearing? im at less than 55k, not sure if THE stock clutch. i still think its the steering rack, does yours whine on and off for the first 30 seconds after not driving for a day or two?

Quick Reply: Starting to think I messed up...