Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Starting to think I messed up...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM
antifungal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just leave it. I have an 06 mt touring as well and I love it. Bought it stock, added Oem wing, tint, Injen Cai and Nismo exhaust and it's better than ever. Not one complaint.

IMO the nismo 350 is ugly. Front is nice but the back tries too hard. Don't get me wrong I'm sure it's amazing to drive, but don't listen to the guy in the 300zx
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Those poor bastards. Glad my z doesn't burn oil.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by jmShiftinZ
for those of you who act like it's no big deal read what all these Z owners in these links went through with the oc issue. Not everyone was lucky!
What's the problem? Just check it regularly and top it up.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:04 AM
bk4494

I got my 06 not too long ago, and i did have to put half a quart cause i was going speed racer lol but just watch the oil and enjoy your car!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:15 AM
Sickboy101

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

I bought my rev-up new in March of '06 and have no oil consumption issues. I installed an ARC oil pan that allows you to run an extra qt. of oil.

Just monitor your oil and enjoy...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM
NFGZ

Originally Posted by Syner
What's the problem? Just check it regularly and top it up.
This is part of the problem. You should NOT have to check your oil every 500 miles to ensure you're not burning oil. If you think its normal to check every 500 miles then you need new cars, this is not routine maint, but excessive
Old 05-03-2013, 08:24 PM
SD350dude

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
what is the downside of a bad throwout bearing? im at less than 55k, not sure if THE stock clutch. i still think its the steering rack, does yours whine on and off for the first 30 seconds after not driving for a day or two?
No my whine is only when the clutch is dropped. doesn't matter if I'm sitting in neutral or in gear but when I don't have the clutch in its making that noise... someone asked if I had a turbo spooling... So I think its some bearing in the transmission/clutch assembly. I honestly don't know enough about the drivetrain to make a serious guess though. I just hope that when I drop a stage 2 clutch it goes away... and I have an '06 (built 12/05) but the motor was replaced by Nissan at 40K because the crank broke (according to the receipts I just went through)...

I just found out my cay only has 25K miles on the engine. I don't know if that's a good thing or if it means I bought someone else's problem
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SD350dude
I just found out my cay only has 25K miles on the engine. I don't know if that's a good thing or if it means I bought someone else's problem
I see that as a good thing
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 PM
SD350dude

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
what is the downside of a bad throwout bearing? im at less than 55k, not sure if THE stock clutch. i still think its the steering rack, does yours whine on and off for the first 30 seconds after not driving for a day or two?
Originally Posted by drvqz33
I see that as a good thing
I agree
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM
SD350dude

Originally Posted by SD350dude
I agree
hmm I think my computer quoted you saying the wrong thing... eh
Old 05-03-2013, 09:28 PM
muffles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFGZ
This is part of the problem. You should NOT have to check your oil every 500 miles to ensure you're not burning oil. If you think its normal to check every 500 miles then you need new cars, this is not routine maint, but excessive
Maybe this is not what you meant, but everything I have ever read recommends you check your oil level every 1000 miles (or that sort of mileage). It's never recommended to only check it at each oil change. It's another matter whether you should be needing to put oil in or not - on that I would personally say I would not expect to have to put oil in (from a general any-engine viewpoint). However I do also know some BMWs have a similar level of consumption and it's accepted in that community so the need to top up is not a completely alien idea.

Regarding power differences, if you really care about power you would need to do some more dramatic changes to either engine (e.g. FI) which would probably even out the differences anyway. So I personally would not care significantly either way.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:54 AM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why check the oil level when you change oil? If it's low before you drain it, you're certainly not going to add any. You know exactly how much you're putting in, so there's no reason to check it then, either.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:49 AM
muffles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winchman
Why check the oil level when you change oil? If it's low before you drain it, you're certainly not going to add any. You know exactly how much you're putting in, so there's no reason to check it then, either.
Oh I agree totally from an actionable perspective. Checking oil at an oil change is purely informational.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:39 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just because you have an 06 Z that doesn't mean it will have oil consumption issues. I've had my Z for almost 2 years now and it has just under 69k miles and I've never had any oil consumption problems. The only problems I've had are the window motor. I got a new one about 6 months ago and now if it's hot out and if u roll it up automatically it goes to the top and then comes back down halfway so I have to hold the switch when it gets to the top for it to stay. Just watch the oil problems but u should be fine.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM
nep

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
Just because you have an 06 Z that doesn't mean it will have oil consumption issues. I've had my Z for almost 2 years now and it has just under 69k miles and I've never had any oil consumption problems. The only problems I've had are the window motor. I got a new one about 6 months ago and now if it's hot out and if u roll it up automatically it goes to the top and then comes back down halfway so I have to hold the switch when it gets to the top for it to stay. Just watch the oil problems but u should be fine.
My window does the exact same thing (rolls to the top and back down). What is the suggested fix for this?

To the OP: Enjoy your Z! As someone already mentioned, don't line the dealership's pockets by trading up. The DE is plenty capable, and the Redline color is sexy as hell
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
PeterFromSDiego

I should've stated well...you have to put up a "fight" and "play" the game.

1. How to approach the dealership
- Be diligent, not annoying
- Be a concerned citizen (about your safety!), not an angry/upset buyer
- Thank employees for any help

2. How to be / act smart
- Do your research and instead of trying to drill in an idea you found off the internet, ask the right questions
- Not only take notes when talking to people (literally) bring notes and get cards, write down details.

Dealerships will put up a fight. This fight, believe it or not, your best ally is your service manager/mechanic - so be nice. Good news is, it DOES NOT have to be the dealership you bought your car from! I repeat, it does NOT have to be the same dealership. My dealership sucked monkey b@lls so I went to a local one, reached out and did #1 and #2 above. I even called corporate, got a hold of regional managers, etc. I put up a fair fight - not a dirty one.

You couldn't believe how much restraint and discipline I had to have to NOT cuss out folks or punch them in the throat.

They will ask you about your driving habits. They will ask for paper work. They will ask for records. Be prepared to answer those.

Last edited by PeterFromSDiego; 06-04-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
cmcurran5

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

a few nissan dealerships all said the same thing.. you lose 1qt every thousand miles. its 4 year old so go screw.. this was two years ago. now that its an almost 7 year old car i doubt a dealership will do anything for you unless it has unserviced recall work. which most were not recalled. but i changed oil viscosity and haven't had the problem since.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by Sunderland
I recently got a 2006 Touring Z, leather seats, Bose sound system, 6mt, relatively low miles and stock.
The car runs great, shifts fine, the interior isnt scratched all to hell. It does make a whining noise for a few minutes untill it warms up though.

I didnt do my homework, but then again I wasnt in the market for a Z when I got it (I was actually on the look out for another Trans Am or GTO). I was driving an 01 Frontier and wanted back into another sports car so I shopped around town and ended up at Carmax.
The 06 Z caught my eye with its beautiful Redline color (There was an 08 Red Z next to the 06 but it was a few grand more then I could afford, I even asked the associate the difference between the two and he simply said year and mileage. Didnt seem worth paying an extra 4k just to have 5000 less miles)

I took it for a test drive and fell in love with it. Not as much power as my old Trans Am but it was more fun to drive. I initially walked away from the deal and took my girl out to eat (sushi!!). While out she actually talked me into getting the car, knowing that I was not happy with my truck. So after the meal we went back to Carmax and closed the deal. I drove away with a smile on my face.

Now after owning the car for several weeks, I found this website and did my research on my new baby.
I now know about the possible oil consumption and found out that the Rev Up is basically the weakest of all the 350 motors. Not happy.

Im not one for pure power, I got out of that mentality when I turned 23, but this is bothering me a good bit. So far ive only put about 300 miles on her and no sign of oil consumption (though its too early to tell). The power could be a bit better as well. I really wish I would have known about the HR motor before hand, especially since I plane on modding.

Now Im debating on trading it up ASAP to an HR model (probably within a year or so) or just getting a different make altogether. I am actually happy with my current model, but just not as happy as I would be with a HR.

Just curious as to what other Z enthusiast would do in my situation??
Can you tell me what you liked and disliked about your Frontier? I am thinking about buying one as an offroad vehicle. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:36 PM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sunderland dont worry about it. I made a mistake when I bought my 04 Z roadster a few years back with a small tear in the top and didnt think anything of it until 2 months later i was replacing it myself, because they are expense to have someone do. I was too damn anxious and didnt have the patience (keep in mind I was 19 and just got out of tank school for the Marines a month prior, and my driving a civic.) Impatiently I bought the first Z I got approved (I had no one co-sign and paid 4K down) hoping i would just trade it in a year for a hardtop. And now in about a year Ill be selling my roadster and upgrading to an 07/08 with the newer motor. When I sell it Ill have had it about 3 years.

p.s. if you want to mod dont get touring or any of that extra crap. My opinion go base or track edition. I made that mistake too and bought the enthusiast model.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:39 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by NFGZ
I disagree. None of my vehicles burn oil, but I still check them at least once every two weeks. Checking every 500 miles is not "excessive"; vehicles are machines, they break. If you keep a close eye on them, you can correct minor problems before they become serious issues.

It takes 2 minutes to check your oil. If you're above the lower line, leave it; if not, add. With my regular routine, I can guarantee my vehicles will outlast those that only check things on "scheduled" intervals.