Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

06 Enthusiast.. Thoughts on price and purchase needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:37 AM
Lasky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Enthusiast.. Thoughts on price and purchase needed

Hey guys im brand new to this forum and to nissans in general, always owned and driven hondas/acuras growing up. Ive been looking to get into a 350 for the past month or so and finally found one that i like and was wondering what you guys thought of it.

Its an 06 enthusiast with 121,000 miles on it - one owner - accident free - semi complete maintenance records from dealerships

I test drove it yesterday and it felt very smooth and solid with no weird noises coming from the engine or suspension, oil pressure seemed to be right on spec with what the manual recommends, oil seemed like it had been changed within the past 1k miles or so and was right below the h on the dip stick. Exterior is mint, interior has a little wear on some of the plastic pieces but mostly clean.

Theyre asking 11,9 and not really budging on the price.. I really like how clean it is and how good it felt driving just didnt know if the price was worthy.

Also noticed the revs hanging a little in between shifts, did some research and seems to be the drive by wire that causes this? either way it did seem a little annoying and I would most certainly have to relearn my driving techniques with the way the throttle responds to my input. And the shifting felt a little heavy, not sure if thats how these cars feel but not as easy to move through the gears as any of my previous cars. But besides that loved the entire car, brakes felt great, tires matched and were fairly new and she drove like a dream.. the torque was amazing in this car, im used to a high revving 4 cylinder (last car was an 06 rsx type s), this car moves from about 2500 up!

Any input would be appreciated and ill post a link below

http://www.triangle-motorsports.com/...173709279.veh#

thanks in advance
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 AM
sk8r776

That car should not be at 12k. That is how much I bought mine for from Manheim. Nada shows 12 for that car at clean retail. But you have to remember its a high mileage sports car.

PO could have drove the crap out of it and not cared for it. I can almost positivly say that dealer is maybe 8-9k in the car. He has to have room to work.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Please keep looking. For $12K you'll find something better, and buying a high-performance sports car with 120K miles is just crazy.

EDIT: Just had a look at the pics. What did they do, dip the whole damn car in Armor All??? take a step back on this one, really.

Last edited by dcains; 05-16-2013 at 05:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:56 AM
DayZblue350Z

+1 on the guy above me. Craigslist...use it!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:04 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Drive a few more to get a general feel for the car. It'll help draw comparisons.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 AM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the radio controls on the steering wheel don't work with that aftermarket radio either. 11,9 is just a tad under retail according to KBB but u can get the same car from an individual for 2k less.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Lasky

Originally Posted by sk8r776
That car should not be at 12k. That is how much I bought mine for from Manheim. Nada shows 12 for that car at clean retail. But you have to remember its a high mileage sports car.

PO could have drove the crap out of it and not cared for it. I can almost positivly say that dealer is maybe 8-9k in the car. He has to have room to work.
So in this condition you dont think its a 12k car? how do i bargain when the car is listed at the nada price and right on par with kbb?

Originally Posted by dcains
Please keep looking. For $12K you'll find something better, and buying a high-performance sports car with 120K miles is just crazy.

EDIT: Just had a look at the pics. What did they do, dip the whole damn car in Armor All??? take a step back on this one, really.
Car is very clean overall, some shine on the tires for sure but everything was just as clean in person as in the ad.. Are sports cars not meant to be reliable past 100k? All the cars im looking at incuding s2000 and 350z in my price range are all at 100k miles.. I went through the thread where everyone was listing year and mileage in here and saw several cars at 150k+

Originally Posted by DayZblue350Z
+1 on the guy above me. Craigslist...use it!
haha thats how i found this, unfortunately individual sellers dont finance and ive been having trouble getting banks to loan me money on cars that are more than 7 years old (this is the newest car ive looked at)

Originally Posted by Syner
Drive a few more to get a general feel for the car. It'll help draw comparisons.
think im going to go test drive two more today but there both 03 base models, one with more and one with less than 121k

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
I bet the radio controls on the steering wheel don't work with that aftermarket radio either. 11,9 is just a tad under retail according to KBB but u can get the same car from an individual for 2k less.
All the radio controls function properly just as they should, and Ill keep looking but i can barely find 03 base models for 10k let alone 06 enthusiasts

thanks for the input so far, would like a few more opinions on this
Old 05-16-2013, 07:27 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Lasky
So in this condition you dont think its a 12k car? how do i bargain when the car is listed at the nada price and right on par with kbb?
It's used. Plain and simple. High miles, dent, scratch, worn interior - the list goes on and on...

Originally Posted by Lasky
haha thats how i found this, unfortunately individual sellers dont finance and ive been having trouble getting banks to loan me money on cars that are more than 7 years old (this is the newest car ive looked at)
Look at an unsecured loan. Don't tell them it's for a car, and don't ask for more than $10K.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 AM
black_sedan

Just because KBB and NADA says it $12k, doesnt mean you have to pay $12k. I generally would shoot for as close to trade-in as possible.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:44 AM
logan09

I wouldnt give over 9k personally and thats if I desperately wanted it. Shoot for lower miles, you wont regret it. These cars can run 200k miles in their life and keep going if you take care of it, but thats only 80,000 miles away from the 120k thats already on the car.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Making a quick and/or emotional decision on buying a used car is always a bad idea. Take your time, and wait for the right one to come along. Also, of you are stretching to afford that car, which it sounds like you might be, what happens when something breaks and you need to have it repaired? Have you researched what insurance will cost, as well as gas and regular maintenance?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Scott C

Personally, I'd pass on this one unless I got an incredibly good deal and 11.9 is not a good deal. The car has high miles and the interior is worn. I'd be willing to bet that the dealer doesn't have more than $8500 in that car. If they are not willing to come down then find somebody who will. Sometime you just need to find a motivated dealer. As an example, I found mine at auction as a dealer trade-in but they knew they were going to take a loss on the car. They ended-up pulling it from the auction and we worked out a price. I didn't get it for my original low-ball price but I saved money on the auction fees. Still got a great deal...'05 Touring Roadster, front line condition, 90K miles for $12K.

Also, I'd still look at Craig's list since loads of dealerships are running their cars through that site. I'd be willing to bet you could find a much better deal if you expand your search to include NC, SC and Ga.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Destroyeron

Way too expensive for that many miles. I paid 2k more for an 07 with less than half the miles.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Lasky

well went in and offered him 10 and he declined.. on to the next one

found a few 03 touring models for around 10k.. one has 98k the other has 102k

hoping one of these will work out in my favor
Old 05-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Lasky

funny thing is they've had the car for 5 months and we went online right in his office and found an 06 enthusiast with 52k miles for the same price as his and he still wouldn't budge!!! HAHAHA !!

thanks for all the input guys, i was pretty set on buying it :x
Old 05-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Lasky

Originally Posted by Scott C
Personally, I'd pass on this one unless I got an incredibly good deal and 11.9 is not a good deal. The car has high miles and the interior is worn. I'd be willing to bet that the dealer doesn't have more than $8500 in that car. If they are not willing to come down then find somebody who will. Sometime you just need to find a motivated dealer. As an example, I found mine at auction as a dealer trade-in but they knew they were going to take a loss on the car. They ended-up pulling it from the auction and we worked out a price. I didn't get it for my original low-ball price but I saved money on the auction fees. Still got a great deal...'05 Touring Roadster, front line condition, 90K miles for $12K.

Also, I'd still look at Craig's list since loads of dealerships are running their cars through that site. I'd be willing to bet you could find a much better deal if you expand your search to include NC, SC and Ga.
Yea I know i can find better deals farther away, thing is i dont have a vehicle right now hence the local searching only, hoping one of these 03's i found are in the shape they show online
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM
logan09

I still would'nt buy either of the 03's youre looking at. They have too many miles.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
BeastiZ

I bought my 06 a few months ago. It had 110k miles on it. I paid 13k. I made sure the car wasn't ragged out and that it had been taken care of. These cars are supposed to have a great reliability rating even though they are a performance car. I haven't had any problems with mine. It's very responsive, torqy, plenty of power, and the engine sounds incredible. I'd test drive it again real good, take it on the highway see if there are any vibrations. Maybe have a mechanic check it out. I love mine it feels like new to me and expect it to last a lot longer than its going to take me to pay it off.

Definitely go with the 06 over the 03. I think there were plenty of updates in 06 that are well worth the extra money.

Good luck!

Last edited by BeastiZ; 05-16-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:31 PM
fzero

That is really high milage, I would just wait and save more money to get something that is lower miles and preferably 07 or 08. Just keep a watch for a few months, I'm sure there are way better deals than that
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM
yiii

I found my 06 z with 18k for $20000...bought it three years ago....

Quick Reply: 06 Enthusiast.. Thoughts on price and purchase needed