Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Noise Violation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ
They can pretty much ticket you for farting in the wrong direction in CA.
Such a unconstitutional state.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:19 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They can pretty much ticket you for farting in the wrong direction in CA.
This is BS ^, Im from LA, and on the freeways there arent any police to enforce anything, I have only gotten one ticket (for passing on the right when i was 16) out of 7 years of driving. Basically in Cali, If your car looks nice and it has a loud exhaust your straight, if you have a shitty *** civic or integra you get no respect, simple as that, its the same thing here in Vegas, but the cops out here will pull you over for doing a 66 in a 65. They actually enforce traffic laws to the T.

Originally Posted by Jah70
Such a unconstitutional state.

Not as bad as Nevada. ^
Old 06-06-2013, 02:33 PM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stuartc323
This is BS ^, Im from LA, and on the freeways there arent any police to enforce anything, I have only gotten one ticket (for passing on the right when i was 16) out of 7 years of driving. Basically in Cali, If your car looks nice and it has a loud exhaust your straight, if you have a shitty *** civic or integra you get no respect, simple as that, its the same thing here in Vegas, but the cops out here will pull you over for doing a 66 in a 65. They actually enforce traffic laws to the T.

Not as bad as Nevada. ^
Gotta agree to disagree man! Don't let my location fool you. I lived in CA for 3 decades before Ohio and they may have gotten better about modified imports (not talking sheety civics either), but back in the 90's they pulled us over left and right for anything. I have held a DL from CA for a while.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM
stuartc323

Gotta agree to disagree man! Don't let my location fool you. I lived in CA for 3 decades before Ohio and they may have gotten better about modified imports (not talking sheety civics either), but back in the 90's they pulled us over left and right for anything. I have held a DL from CA for a while.

Haha yeah man i was born and raised in LA so i know how it was in the 90s, i thought you were talking about more recent. They are actually not tripping on the highly modified cars anymore, as long as your not driving like an asshat, they wont mess with you IF your car is nice, if its those shiity civics, your getting a ticket haha
Old 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree. If you car’s appearance doesn’t attract unwanted attention, you will be OK if it’s just a little loud.

If your car is ugly and loud, be prepared to be hassled, fined, and forced to pay penalties.

I agree that this isn’t fair; but, it’s the way it is. If you want to change this, go into politics… and good luck with this if you choose that path.

--Spike
Old 06-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Spike100
I agree. If you car’s appearance doesn’t attract unwanted attention, you will be OK if it’s just a little loud.

If your car is ugly and loud, be prepared to be hassled, fined, and forced to pay penalties.

I agree that this isn’t fair; but, it’s the way it is. If you want to change this, go into politics… and good luck with this if you choose that path.

--Spike
Never understood why guys would want their car to be loud all the time. I like my Z to be loud when I step on it, other than that I want it to be quiet as a mouse. When you have a loud and high profile demeanor and your car is the same way, your basically painting a target on yourself to attract unwanted company and attention. That's why my car is modified but you will never know when you look and listen to it next to a bone stock Z. I'm also thinking about getting a rear mounted turbo but I don't want it to make a lot of noise from the blow off valve and the turbine noise.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 AM
stuartc323

Never understood why guys would want their car to be loud all the time. I like my Z to be loud when I step on it, other than that I want it to be quiet as a mouse. When you have a loud and high profile demeanor and your car is the same way, your basically painting a target on yourself to attract unwanted company and attention. That's why my car is modified but you will never know when you look and listen to it next to a bone stock Z. I'm also thinking about getting a rear mounted turbo but I don't want it to make a lot of noise from the blow off valve and the turbine noise.

Maybe its just the sound of a loud exhaust that some people love especially if you have a nice engine, I know my Z I would like a loud exhaust but not too loud, dont want ricers trying to race me everyday.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Z-Crazy

Some people don't prefer quiet cars. Want a loud exhaust to hear every note coming out of the VQ engine
Old 06-07-2013, 07:46 AM
BornSlippyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha yeah man i was born and raised in LA so i know how it was in the 90s, i thought you were talking about more recent. They are actually not tripping on the highly modified cars anymore, as long as your not driving like an asshat, they wont mess with you IF your car is nice, if its those shiity civics, your getting a ticket haha
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Spike100

--Spike
I agree, but imo it is a slippery slope and you are right about the politics. I still like seeing properly tuned Civics or other FWD cars. I also understand (especially in CA in the 90's) the LEOs needed to try and be proactive on stopping street racing during that time (dunno if that actually worked). But when I hear loud classic cars (some are chitty to look at), Harley's or the big thing that can cause actual harm to other drivers is erratic driving caused by texting/phone calls. I ask myself why is one type of drivers singled out over the others?! It is probably because these import cars are/where very popular and LEO's encounter more young (stupid) drivers versus the other folk. I agree that some of these 'tuned' imports are annoying loud for no reason, but then again people in public general annoy me anyways .

Last edited by BornSlippyZ; 06-07-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Z-Crazy
Some people don't prefer quiet cars. Want a loud exhaust to hear every note coming out of the VQ engine
Yeah but that gets really annoying when your at a stoplight at idle or when your cruising at low rpms and trying to talk to someone else who's in the car with you. That drone just gets on my nerves and it just takes away from the exotic-ish feeling the Z33 and Z34 has. An AES system is something I would invest in.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Z-Crazy

Yeah but that gets really annoying when your at a stoplight at idle or when your cruising at low rpms and trying to talk to someone else who's in the car with you. That drone just gets on my nerves and it just takes away from the exotic-ish feeling the Z33 and Z34 has. An AES system is something I would invest in.
It makes sense but...

I disagree because Z is not my daily driver, fortunately, My Z is quiet when it idles, and loud on WOT.

maybe we will have to agree to disagree
Old 06-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Jah70

It makes sense but...

I disagree because Z is not my daily driver, fortunately, My Z is quiet when it idles, and loud on WOT.

maybe we will have to agree to disagree
We're on the same page though lol. I like my Z to be loud at WOT too but it is quiet at idle on cruising speeds.

Last edited by Jah70; 06-07-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Most of these people are high school kids. Bullsh*t you want to hear "every note from the VQ," lots of the loud exhaust systems drown out the sound of the engine with droning rasp.

EDIT - nevermind, I just saw your re-explanation. Looks like we're on the same page. When I hear people ask for "loud exhaust" that usually equates to "obnoxious exhaust."

I love the way my car is - quiet when idling, but roars when I step on it.

Last edited by Syner; 06-07-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM
stuartc323

Syner and Z-crazy what exhausts do you guys have?

also i think loud is subjective towards the driver
Old 06-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Jah70

Let's just say loud as a f17 raptor is what I like at wot lol
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Z-Crazy

I have 2007 HR Grand Tournig

K & N typhoon 69 Twin Intake (Changed the note of the exhaust over stock)

Invidia N1 exhaust (I modified the mufflers and some pipes)

Megan Resonated Pipes (Had to so some modifications, will never buy Megan prodcuts again)

Stock Y-pipe
Old 06-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Z-Crazy

No where close to that loud lol

Loudness is subjective for sure.

While the Z is loud, my M5 is much more louder on WOT, but it is 5L V8.

Again, both are quiet when idling, M5 is surprisingly quieter.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM
stuartc323

Thats exactly how i want it hahaha

I have 2007 HR Grand Tournig

K & N typhoon 69 Twin Intake (Changed the note of the exhaust over stock)

Invidia N1 exhaust (I modified the mufflers and some pipes)

Megan Resonated Pipes (Had to so some modifications, will never buy Megan prodcuts again)

Stock Y-pipe

I was thinking of getting the Invidia N1 with the Art Pipes but i think it would be epic loud not that i mind but the wife might

Does an intake really change the exhaust note that much, I will pick up a pop charger or stillen intake if i need to haha
Old 06-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Z-Crazy

Thats exactly how i want it hahaha

I was thinking of getting the Invidia N1 with the Art Pipes but i think it would be epic loud not that i mind but the wife might

Does an intake really change the exhaust note that much, I will pick up a pop charger or stillen intake if i need to haha
I dont think the intakes make it louder, it changed the note a bit in my case, makes a slight throaty V8 kind of idling sound, or you could say a low frequency bass to the system.

Test pipes make huge difference.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM
stuartc323

I dont think the intakes make it louder, it changed the note a bit in my case, makes a slight throaty V8 kind of idling sound, or you could say a low frequency bass to the system.

Test pipes make huge difference.
dopeness ima check it out, what did you do to the mufflers and pipes?

Quick Reply: Noise Violation?