Notices
Drag NHRA, IDRC, IHRA, NDRA

Drag racing class confusion. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Tearik

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag racing class confusion. Please help.

I tried to post in motorsports to ask, but apparently i don't have permission to do so.

I was reading a flier for the local track and it has 6.0 7.0 and 8.0 heads up
8.0 has no entry fee.

However, I don't know what the 6.0 .70 and 8.0 mean?

I tried googling it but my search-fu failed me.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:21 PM
1973camarolt

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The track you're talking about is most likely an 1/8th mile drag strip. If you're familiar with the dial-in system in bracket racing, these classes work the same way but the class you enter gives you a fixed dial-in. See the third & fourth paragraphs if you don't know about the dial-in system: http://www.nhra.net/basics/handicap.html

A stock 350Z (non-HR I think) runs about a 15.0 in the 1/4, which translates to about a 9.50 in the eighth. The conversion I'm using is designed for torquey drag V8's so in reality a 350Z would be a few tenths slower than the 9.50 estimate. From this it seems like a stock Z would not be competitive in any of the classes you mentioned. For reference, my built 600+ hp 1973 Camaro has run a best of 7.22 at 98 mph in the 1/8th. I hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Tearik

Originally Posted by 1973camarolt
The track you're talking about is most likely an 1/8th mile drag strip. If you're familiar with the dial-in system in bracket racing, these classes work the same way but the class you enter gives you a fixed dial-in. See the third & fourth paragraphs if you don't know about the dial-in system: http://www.nhra.net/basics/handicap.html

A stock 350Z (non-HR I think) runs about a 15.0 in the 1/4, which translates to about a 9.50 in the eighth. The conversion I'm using is designed for torquey drag V8's so in reality a 350Z would be a few tenths slower than the 9.50 estimate. From this it seems like a stock Z would not be competitive in any of the classes you mentioned. For reference, my built 600+ hp 1973 Camaro has run a best of 7.22 at 98 mph in the 1/8th. I hope this helps.
You're right, I'm pretty sure this is a 1/8 track.
And oh well I guess. I kind of just want to get my feet wet with the dragging world before I start pouring money into the car.

I might just try to go grab a test and tune day.

edit: Almost forgot to say thanks for answering my question. So, thank you sir for clearing that up for me.

Last edited by Tearik; 07-09-2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: more
Old 07-10-2013, 05:58 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

A stock 350z runs a 15sec quarter mile. Are you on crack? Low 14's normally. High 13's can be achieved with a great driver
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 AM
Quattrone21

1/8 mile tracks are about launching and 60' times. If you have never been on a track and have a 6 speed it takes some practice. We were running 14.6's the other night in the 1/4 in 90' heat and 80% humidty with pretty much stock Z's.. Just Nismo intake and exhaust
Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
1973camarolt

Glad I could help Tearik. T&T nights are pretty much all I attend with my car. This website is a treasure trove of calculators you can use once you have a timeslip in hand: http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm Disregard the Comic Sans, the calcs are legit.

deadeye I guess I am on crack, I did a quick Google before posting and came up with a 15.0 but I'm glad our cars are faster than that. I'm new to this chassis so I don't know all the ins and outs yet.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Tearik

Glad I could help Tearik. T&T nights are pretty much all I attend with my car. This website is a treasure trove of calculators you can use once you have a timeslip in hand: http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm Disregard the Comic Sans, the calcs are legit.

deadeye I guess I am on crack, I did a quick Google before posting and came up with a 15.0 but I'm glad our cars are faster than that. I'm new to this chassis so I don't know all the ins and outs yet.
Sweet, those will be useful.

TBH, I'll probably wait ATLEAST until I get my lighter wheels and wider tires before I even attend a T&T, but hopefully that won't be too much longer. I'd really, really like to start putting her on the track. She's so much fun to drive its halfway tempting to play back with people when they want to play on the streets, but I like my perfect driving record and not endangering innocent commuters too much to do it.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:00 PM
1973camarolt

It's really addictive . Both my dad and I drag race our muscle cars regularly, and a track gives you so much more peace of mind. You can do a burnout with no cop attention. There's no bumps, camber changes, or deer to ruin your day. Medical/fire/tow truck help is right nearby watching you.

Also something to consider on a treaded non-drag tire: when you roll up to the water box, continue straight through the ditch and stop 2 or 3 feet ahead of it. Dump the clutch and roll the tires over 8 or 10 times, just enough to fling off the water you just picked up. You don't want to put the heat of a burnout into tires with a non-drag compound. This will make them greasy and give you less traction for launch and gearchanges. Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know haha .
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Tearik

It's really addictive . Both my dad and I drag race our muscle cars regularly, and a track gives you so much more peace of mind. You can do a burnout with no cop attention. There's no bumps, camber changes, or deer to ruin your day. Medical/fire/tow truck help is right nearby watching you.

Also something to consider on a treaded non-drag tire: when you roll up to the water box, continue straight through the ditch and stop 2 or 3 feet ahead of it. Dump the clutch and roll the tires over 8 or 10 times, just enough to fling off the water you just picked up. You don't want to put the heat of a burnout into tires with a non-drag compound. This will make them greasy and give you less traction for launch and gearchanges. Sorry if I'm telling you what you already know haha .
No actually thats great info and I think i remember reading something about it earlier and had meant to look it up.

I'm 24, and this is my first car that is even remotely worth taking to the track. I've had A to B cars before this, and grew up with a single mom. So I'm using the Z as both "the best toy i've ever owned" and a fantastic opportunity to "learn as much about cars, engines and the culture that goes along with them"

As far as my thirst for vehicular knowledge this forum has been nothing but a wealth of knowledge so far.

I'm trying to 'learn as I go' instead of just dumping the info in. For instance the first thing I want to do to the car is wheels. So i've searched and googled and read and reread everything I can about sizes offsets tire widths etc And I think I'm about to the point that I feel confident pulling the trigger on my buy

So you'll never see me shake my head at ANY info that someone on here throws at me.

edit: Just realize that my "and grew up with a single mom" came across a bit sexist. I in no way shape or form meant to imply that all women know nothing about cars. Only that my mom didn't really know anything about cars and therefore I never got the "father/son working on the car in the garage" part of childhood. So I'm making up for it now!

Last edited by Tearik; 07-10-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-11-2013, 05:01 AM
1973camarolt

Good for you man, you've made a good choice. The Z33 is an excellent chassis that has tons of aftermarket support from minor stuff to "world class" big money parts. They certainly could be at home on a track beside a Porsche and a Vette, or do daily duty slammed on the ground. It's that kind of stuff that drew me to the chassis. The Z33 will make a great first hot rod car, and I'm considering keeping mine forever. You're gonna have good results because you do your homework on mods and you're polite when posting. So nice to get away from Zilvia or HondaTech where every other word is a slur . Enjoy your car. I'm 22 myself and my parents had been modifying cars for years before I was born, so I got knowledge/tools/experience from early on. I count myself very lucky.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread is.......interesting.....
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM
Tearik

Good for you man, you've made a good choice. The Z33 is an excellent chassis that has tons of aftermarket support from minor stuff to "world class" big money parts. They certainly could be at home on a track beside a Porsche and a Vette, or do daily duty slammed on the ground. It's that kind of stuff that drew me to the chassis. The Z33 will make a great first hot rod car, and I'm considering keeping mine forever. You're gonna have good results because you do your homework on mods and you're polite when posting. So nice to get away from Zilvia or HondaTech where every other word is a slur . Enjoy your car. I'm 22 myself and my parents had been modifying cars for years before I was born, so I got knowledge/tools/experience from early on. I count myself very lucky.
Appreciate the compliments. I really wish I'd had the opportunity to learn cars as I was growing up. It always seems easier then than doing it later :P

And as far as a good car, I think some part of me could tell that as soon as I moved it out of the parking space for the first time.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM
Tearik

Originally Posted by 2004Black350z
This thread is.......interesting.....
Whats so.......interesting.....about it?
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Can an all-motor 350Z compete in a 8.0 second class? Well it sure can.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:32 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tearik
Sweet, those will be useful.

TBH, I'll probably wait ATLEAST until I get my lighter wheels and wider tires before I even attend a T&T, but hopefully that won't be too much longer. I'd really, really like to start putting her on the track. She's so much fun to drive its halfway tempting to play back with people when they want to play on the streets, but I like my perfect driving record and not endangering innocent commuters too much to do it.
Well go do it. Sign up for the 8.00 second class. Figure 3 runs: 2 practice plus 1 competition. First competition round, if the other driver makes a mistake - you win!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
Tearik

Originally Posted by davidv

Can an all-motor 350Z compete in a 8.0 second class? Well it sure can.
What all bolt ons does your 350 have?