Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 05:43 PM
va350z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help

Yesterday when I was driving...I noticed something wrong with my car. While my car is running...I have a weird gas smell, like a go cart, and the exhaust is putting like it has a miss. Now the service engine light is on. I was going to take it to the dealer tomorrow...but it is snowing ehre and I think DC will be shut down. Just wondering if anyone knows what the problem is? Thanks
Old 01-25-2004, 07:03 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where is the smell coming from?
Has the performance of the car changed?
Old 01-25-2004, 07:12 PM
va350z33

The smell is coming from the exhaust...but the inside of the car smells too...but I think it may have drifted in. I haven't tested the performance...just drove it real easy. It stills drives normal...but I feel a rough idle(thumping) when I am stopped. I can't really feel it when it is moving.
Old 01-25-2004, 07:20 PM
SHO-TIME

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CEL can come on from a number of things since it's connected to many sensors. If the smell is coming from the exhaust, maybe plastic bag could be stuck to it and melting? And the CEL could be a separate issue? Or do you have an aftermarket exhaust? Could it be melting the evap canister? You should check under the car and see if there is any object stuck on your exhaust or some thing pierced thru the evap canister... of course I could be totally wrong. But you won't know unless you check it.

My mechanic told me that so long as the performance has not changed, CEL light should be okay for a while, although you will want it looked at soon.

Good luck!
Old 01-25-2004, 07:32 PM
va350z33

The smell is definitely coming from the car...just not sure from what. The smell is really more of a gas smell then a plastic burning. My one friend said it could be a blown head gasket. Not sure. The next time I drive it...it will be going straight to the dealer...so I am not to worried. I just hope it is something easy to fix. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:39 AM
MrBonus

If you're not certain it's coming from the exhaust, you can always open your hood and check for any coolant leaks.

My old Cobra used to have a hose that would occasionally come undone and the coolant would burn on the block.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 PM
va350z33

Well the dealership said one of my feul injectors is sticking...so they are getting me a new one. Although I have to wait for Wed for them to get the part. Now, I just need a car.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:18 AM
MrBonus

Originally posted by va350z33
Well the dealership said one of my feul injectors is sticking...so they are getting me a new one. Although I have to wait for Wed for them to get the part. Now, I just need a car.
Wow. That's really wierd. I've never heard of that happening on a new car. I don't think any of us would have guessed that.

At least nothing broke.