Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the HR worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonnoh
lol, I remember 13 years ago in my Integra. hated taking people anywhere.
I remember 10 years ago in my 3000gt. Having a passenger was noticable, having two was a death sentence to power. I think I may have been beat by a Honda in an acceleration merge lane one day. I was embarrassed.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Touge Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

150lbs not a big difference? Must be numb.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 AM
grantbbee
Banned

I drove both and didn't really feel any difference.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove both before buying my de. Lets say I didn't see a 4,000 price difference. I was looking at ones with lower miles and back then up here for a manual that's the difference between de and hr
Old 08-21-2013, 05:43 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by grantbbee
I drove both and didn't really feel any difference.
Usually the case when you don't put your foot down.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:41 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I felt the difference in my civic between having a passenger or just me in the car, but not in my Z. I know every lb counts but my point was the power to weight ratio is better in the HR then DE.

With that being said, at my last autox event my fastest time was with a passenger, and he was a pretty big guy. Maybe his weight helped me with traction lol.
I feel you on that, i was just saying a 150 pounds is a lot

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I drove both before buying my de. Lets say I didn't see a 4,000 price difference. I was looking at ones with lower miles and back then up here for a manual that's the difference between de and hr

This is usually the case ^
Old 08-25-2013, 04:58 PM
calidrew909

Here is my experience with my 07 base model.

i had a stock 07 and my best friend has a 03 model with cold air intake and thats it , we have races many times on the free way and from a dig (dont let the cops catch you doing that in california ) on the free way we did run from 40 to top stays pretty even but then his car starts to loose power and i just start pulling, keep in mind this is when my car was stock, we also did a race from 60 miles an hour to top a lil even then i just pull away , from dig like many people have said 0-30 his car beat me but then i catch up and leave him in the dust i just recently added dual cold air short ram and contrary to what people have said here it helped out my car i dont know how much i got in gains but my friends z just has no choice he doesent keep up for a bit before i start to pull away like before now its just i straight up start pulling no chance what so ever so he added an exhaust system and so did it and there is just no comparison the hr is boss DE is not . hes had many problems ever since he got his car he has always been at the mechanic its always some BS mine is 6 speed manual and his is 5 speed auto. for my current job i drive a lot i was putting 600miles a week in my z for about 3 months an never ever had a problem with anything im not going to lie i drive my car hard and its never failed on me today i bought jwt clutch and flywheel because i have a feeling the clutch is about to take a dump on me ( original clutch since 07) i believe that once i put in the new clutch it will last for the remainder of the cars life . and by the way i keep up with all the maintenance in my car changes all the fluids accordingly always get mobil 1 oil and i always use " supreme gas " 91 if you have the money get HR/
Old 08-25-2013, 05:30 PM
T_K

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebase99
All this relevant, however, the old DE's ARE the lightest of the Z's with the most TQ. Thats why Im telling you, my old DE was faster than my 370Z to 30 or so. After that, no contest but that thing fricking shot out of the hole!!
The VHR has issues with throttle lag, pedal position can be maxed but the ECU slowly ramps up the throttle. This isn't an issue on DE and HR. It's a significant amount of lag, 2-3 seconds, or a span of about 2000rpm mostly when going WOT from slower speeds.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by calidrew909

i had a stock 07 and my best friend has a 03 model with cold air intake and thats it , we have races many times on the free way and from a dig (dont let the cops catch you doing that in california ) on the free way we did run from 40 to top stays pretty even but then his car starts to loose power and i just start pulling, keep in mind this is when my car was stock, we also did a race from 60 miles an hour to top a lil even then i just pull away , from dig like many people have said 0-30 his car beat me but then i catch up and leave him in the dust i just recently added dual cold air short ram and contrary to what people have said here it helped out my car i dont know how much i got in gains but my friends z just has no choice he doesent keep up for a bit before i start to pull away like before now its just i straight up start pulling no chance what so ever so he added an exhaust system and so did it and there is just no comparison the hr is boss DE is not . hes had many problems ever since he got his car he has always been at the mechanic its always some BS mine is 6 speed manual and his is 5 speed auto. for my current job i drive a lot i was putting 600miles a week in my z for about 3 months an never ever had a problem with anything im not going to lie i drive my car hard and its never failed on me today i bought jwt clutch and flywheel because i have a feeling the clutch is about to take a dump on me ( original clutch since 07) i believe that once i put in the new clutch it will last for the remainder of the cars life . and by the way i keep up with all the maintenance in my car changes all the fluids accordingly always get mobil 1 oil and i always use " supreme gas " 91 if you have the money get HR/
Based on your posts so far, I'm going to guess you are under 20 years old. This Thanksgiving might be a good one.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by T_K
The VHR has issues with throttle lag, pedal position can be maxed but the ECU slowly ramps up the throttle. This isn't an issue on DE and HR. It's a significant amount of lag, 2-3 seconds, or a span of about 2000rpm mostly when going WOT from slower speeds.
Ummm...what? LOL. 2 to 3 seconds??? Suddenly a 13.1 quarter car (some guys on the 370 site have high 12's stock) and under 5 seconds to 60 takes two to three seconds for...what exacly? lol
Old 08-26-2013, 08:04 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by calidrew909

What?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:37 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

What?
That is what I thought, but now I am working hard on ignoring the ricers.

On a side note of all that crap about street racing, you will lose from a dig at the begining since you have an open diff. Biggest downside of having a base. I am buying a LSD very soon, it is driving me crazy when I autox.

Last edited by SQuaLZ; 08-26-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Firebase99

On a side note of all that crap about street racing, you will lose from a dig at the begining since you have an open diff. Biggest downside of having a base. I am buying a LSD very soon, it is driving me crazy when I autox.
Wait, your 350Z doesnt have LSD? My 370Z does. All cars made 2011 and up MUST have LSD/VDC, etc.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM
T_K

Ummm...what? LOL. 2 to 3 seconds??? Suddenly a 13.1 quarter car (some guys on the 370 site have high 12's stock) and under 5 seconds to 60 takes two to three seconds for...what exacly? lol
Is the HR worth it?-n3g4fnt.png

Look at accelerator pedal position, then look at TPS.

Any other questions?

I do know what the f*ck I'm talking about. You said your old 350Z feels stronger off the line than the 370Z, well here's the reason it feels that way. From 1680rpm the pedal is floored, and 30mph doesn't occur until around 3500rpm, but TPS doesn't max out until ~4000rpm.

Last edited by T_K; 08-27-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM
T_K

Don't waste your money. I bought a used VLSD unit and assembled and installed it myself. Six months down the line you can take a guess at what mod is at the top of my shopping list. If you're the type of driver to actually go out and buy a VLSD and have it installed, you're more than likely the type of driver that will get tired of it's lackluster performance very quickly. It's not awful for the street, but it's only marginally better when used in autocross and the better you get at the courses, the less helpful it becomes.

On a sidenote, the worst part of a base is not having cruise, but can be remedied with UpRev and ~$100 in switches.

Last edited by T_K; 08-27-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 AM
SQuaLZ

Wait, your 350Z doesnt have LSD? My 370Z does. All cars made 2011 and up MUST have LSD/VDC, etc.
Yes 370Z LSD is standard, on 350Z the base has an open diff, which I think is so stupid that they would even sell such a high horsepower car like that.

Originally Posted by T_K
Don't waste your money. I bought a used VLSD unit and assembled and installed it myself. Six months down the line you can take a guess at what mod is at the top of my shopping list. If you're the type of driver to actually go out and buy a VLSD and have it installed, you're more than likely the type of driver that will get tired of it's lackluster performance very quickly. It's not awful for the street, but it's only marginally better when used in autocross and the better you get at the courses, the less helpful it becomes.

On a sidenote, the worst part of a base is not having cruise, but can be remedied with UpRev and ~$100 in switches.
I was thinking of getting an aftermarket such as Cusco, since I have heard the VLSD is garbage.

Have you switched to a new LSD since?

Not having cruise is probably number 2 on the things I wish I had on my car
Old 08-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Firebase99

Originally Posted by T_K

Look at accelerator pedal position, then look at TPS.

Any other questions?

I do know what the f*ck I'm talking about. You said your old 350Z feels stronger off the line than the 370Z, well here's the reason it feels that way. From 1680rpm the pedal is floored, and 30mph doesn't occur until around 3500rpm, but TPS doesn't max out until ~4000rpm.
Ok, Im not sure how to read this graph. Help me out, spell it out to me, please. When you say "3 second delay", wtf does that mean? Are you referring to a 3 second....what? Im lost.LOL.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:12 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This kinda reminds me of that sprint booster pedal thing
Old 08-28-2013, 09:23 AM
T_K

Yes 370Z LSD is standard, on 350Z the base has an open diff, which I think is so stupid that they would even sell such a high horsepower car like that.

I was thinking of getting an aftermarket such as Cusco, since I have heard the VLSD is garbage.

Have you switched to a new LSD since?

Not having cruise is probably number 2 on the things I wish I had on my car
Unless you get a really good deal, and aren't paying someone to put it in, just get a real LSD the first time around. Total cost for me was around $200-250 and the unit itself only had around 20k miles.

If you do get the VLSD, you should consider the 370z carrier since it comes with a slightly shorter final drive. It'll shorten 2nd gear for autocross.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:05 AM
SQuaLZ

Ok, Im not sure how to read this graph. Help me out, spell it out to me, please. When you say "3 second delay", wtf does that mean? Are you referring to a 3 second....what? Im lost.LOL.
I really can't imagine my throttle is on 3 second delay.

I find that completely wrong. maybe half a second tops. Everybody would notice a 3 second delay really bad.

I would say in my experience MB has the biggest delays on their throttle and even they are not 3 seconds.

Quick Reply: Is the HR worth it?