Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Thinking about selling my 06 & downgrading to 03

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 PM
ksuberk54

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking about selling my 06 & downgrading to 03

I have a 2006 black Z & 69k miles with the mods listed below & I don't (didn't) want to ever sell it but this deal came up that (to me) sounds amazing. I could sell mine for about 4K more than this 03 blue Z that has a Momentum turbo kit with only 30k miles but its a salvaged title. Only things I would change would be bumper, spoiler & most importantly wheels! He says he has a paper that says that the car is fine and theres no frame damage. He says it makes 450 on 9psi. Blue was my first choice when I bought my car 2 years ago. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger. Need help. I'm leaning toward doing it. I guess I should find out if my insurance will insure a 10yr old car with a salvage title or not huh?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so how is going from a light bolt on 06 to a turbo charged 03 a downgrade??
Old 08-10-2013, 07:41 PM
ksuberk54

7 year old vehicle > 10 year old vehicle
clean title > salvage title

I'd have to (want to really bad) change the seats for sure to black. The seats in there are too much for sure. just bad. I'd need new rims and tires and I'd want to get a new front bumper and spoiler. I think I could do all of that for $3k though (maybe).
Old 08-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

thats absolutely a downgrade.. especially since the salvaged title. financially, keeping the 06 would make more sense...
Old 08-10-2013, 07:51 PM
kaze06

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmurray350z
thats absolutely a downgrade.. especially since the salvaged title. financially, keeping the 06 would make more sense...
This.

Trading off your '06 for a SALVAGED car three years older because it has a turbocharger is a retarded decision and you should not even think twice about it.

Furthermore I just want to stress what a bad idea this is. You're buying a car that has already been boosted (that you have no idea what the quality of the work is like or how hard it has been ran), has been salvaged, and regardless of what "paperwork" he has, you NEVER know what is going to pop up down the road as a result of that. It's three years older so it's already worth less on paper when you go to sell it than your current car because FI mods add zero dollars to true resale or trade value, and worth HALF of THAT figure because it's a salvage. "Only" 30,000 miles is a tricky phrase to use, because 30,000 miles of ***** to the wall driving under boost is like 130,000 miles of normal daily driving on a motor, and with it being a salvage, there's a decent possibility it was trashed as a result of some moron pushing it to the limit. Is there a possibility it's something minor? Sure. But do you want to gamble on that? I'd pass. The small giggly thrill of having a turbocharged Z would fall away quickly when it becomes a money bucket that sells for $6000 or less when you go to get rid of it.

I know, having a boosted car is cool and exciting, but think about what you're trying to do here. You're kicking yourself square in the ***** by buying what could be a ticking time bomb with zero residual value. Why not save your cash and FI your '06? You'll have a newer car, FI, you'll know EXACTLY what has been done to it, and you know its accident history and the quality of the vehicle underneath.

Last edited by kaze06; 08-10-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:01 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Just buy it , take what you want off it and sell it
Old 08-10-2013, 08:03 PM
ksuberk54

The main reason I thought about selling my car is I could get a 2006 G35 GTM TT with 50k miles for only about 1200 more than I would sell my car for but I forgot about taxes. It will be like $2k in taxes unless I get him to write the sale for only a couple grand instead of 15k +.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:06 PM
kaze06

Originally Posted by ksuberk54
The main reason I thought about selling my car is I could get a 2006 G35 GTM TT with 50k miles for only about 1200 more than I would sell my car for but I forgot about taxes. It will be like $2k in taxes unless I get him to write the sale for only a couple grand instead of 15k +.
That would be a much better deal...although I still wouldn't go anywhere near it but that's my personal opinion. I wouldn't buy a heavily modded car unless I knew who it was coming from and the quality of what was done to it.

And people underwrite private sales all the time. We did it on my car. Most sellers are happy to oblige to get you to agree on a price.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

wait i thought we were talking about a momentum turbo salvaged 03??
Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 PM
ksuberk54

We were. That was the second option I have looked at. As for the questiom about highly modified cars, the guy has a link to the shops site that did the work. They only tuned it to 4psi & he hit 380 to the wheels. He has no boost controller so its 4psi all the time. That was what I really wanted because I'm married and never know when I could have a child but I do like the look of the Z more and I've always wanted to be able to mod the car the whole way the way I want it. The GTM TT kit is what I'd get if I wasn't poor and trying to save for a house. I think I'm going to pass on the 03 Z but I'm still interested in the G but I just don't know how much.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 PM
kaze06

We were. That was the second option I have looked at. As for the questiom about highly modified cars, the guy has a link to the shops site that did the work. They only tuned it to 4psi & he hit 380 to the wheels. He has no boost controller so its 4psi all the time. That was what I really wanted because I'm married and never know when I could have a child but I do like the look of the Z more and I've always wanted to be able to mod the car the whole way the way I want it. The GTM TT kit is what I'd get if I wasn't poor and trying to save for a house. I think I'm going to pass on the 03 Z but I'm still interested in the G but I just don't know how much.
Links, papers, word of mouth, none of it really tells you anything. Any Joe Mechanic shop can give a receipt to prove they installed his FI, doesn't mean they did it right and it doesn't mean it hasn't been run through the ground.

Buying a heavily modded vehicle that has potentially been put through the ringer with no background knowledge other than a few receipts and "I swear I never drove it hard" from the guy while you're walking around the car is a gamble. You can come out with a sweet deal in some cases, or end up with a huge pile of ****.

I always approach a car sale with the mindset of there being a good reason they are getting rid of the car. Most people don't just up and sell something they've poured a lot of time and money in to without an underlying reason. Could it be that the car is perfect and they just had a newborn and need a family car? Yep. It could also be that ticking noise it started making a thousand miles ago and he wants to get out from under it before it becomes an expensive problem.

You never know...buyer beware.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:00 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

03 blue Z that has a Momentum turbo kit
Sounds like reliable transportation to me.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 AM
samsniss350z

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

The word SALVAGED would worry me a little. I wouldn't even get it checked over by a decent auto engineer to make sure that is straight for sure you'll be left with a nice pile of parts to sell. It sounds like your heart is ruling your head on this deal, Your heart is saying 'upgraded this & that only 30k miles, it needs seats. Your head should be saying 30k thrashed to within an inch of its life, nobody drives a car with a turbo kit and drives it sensibly and the big scary= salvaged title. Don't do it, where did this deal originate? In a tavern? this sounds too dodgy, keep your clean car, I know you get bored of 'em sometimes but I'd rather be bored than broke.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:22 AM
206_z33

So basically you're trading just for the power...

don't do it.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:18 AM
ksuberk54

I decided to just keep my car. It's too much hassle to get either of the other cars and I don't want to buy a car that i don't know how it's been treated either. I also don't want to quit on my project of slowing modding my car. I want it to be my hobby, something fun I can do slowly and taking it the direction I want at the pace I want. I do still plan on getting a turbo for it in the future just not right now.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM
HR.R-CING

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stupid thread.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:30 PM
HAWAI'I

does not make sense.....
Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Touge Z

just do what you feel like man. some times you could get a good trade but keeping your car is cool too.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 AM
stuartc323

Let me ask a question. Say you finally get all this power, where are you gonna use it? on the freeway? Driving on canyons behind your house? honestly power isnt everything, have fun with a clean car.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM
drvqz33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good decision.

Keep your car and go FI when you're ready. I would never trade a newer nicer Z for and an older one just because it had a turbo slapped on to it.

Although, I would try to talk to that owner about taking the momentum kit off. The car is worthless anyways.

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my 06 & downgrading to 03