Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

80% chance my car is totaled =\

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Calinismo350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80% chance my car is totaled =\

this past Sunday rained pretty hard in palms springs area everywhere was flooded, unfortunately I was shopping before it started raining so by the time I was going back home all the streets were full of water. I was going to parked my Z on a mini market and called someone to pick me up. To make it a short story water got into the engine so the car turned off right away. I'm just waiting for the insurance to tell me if it's gonna be totaled. if it comes to get the engine fix I'm thinking on putting a little extra out of my pocket to fully build the engine. how ever I've been doing done research in case I need a new car and the ones I have in mind until now it's: Pontiac G8 GT, Infiniti G37S and BMW 335i TT. what would you guys get if it comes to get a new car, of course it's also going to be modified (nitrous, supercharger or TT who knows) any opinions/suggestions welcome.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:32 AM
stuartc323

Get whatever car you can afford and build it from there, you have great choices for your car, and that sucks about what happened to your car bro, good luck
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 1,311 Likes on 910 Posts

Gotta ask: how can you be sure water got into your engine? Did you try driving the Z when it hydrolocked? Was there water in the cockpit?

Hard to believe this happened in Palm Springs!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Bmurray350z

Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts

Damn man! Sucks to see that.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:49 AM
stuartc323

Originally Posted by dkmura
Gotta ask: how can you be sure water got into your engine? Did you try driving the Z when it hydrolocked? Was there water in the cockpit?

Hard to believe this happened in Palm Springs!

Palm Springs is the desert man they have flash floods all the time I can absolutely see this happening
Old 08-30-2013, 07:52 AM
NFSP 350

Sucks dude. I live in Panama City & we have had a record year for rain. I have on driven my Z 4 times in the last 2 months. This whole week here has been nice & starting this afternoon through middle of next week in more rain so can't drive the Z again.

As for you car options, I own a 08 G8 GT & love the thing. I was kind of considering selling it but I really do enjoy it so much so I likely wont. I would say go G8. What was the extent of the damage inside the car? Even if insurance says totalled I personally would keep it & do a built motor like you mentioned.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Calinismo350z

stuartc323: all 3 cars are in my price range but I wonder witch platform I can get more power out of it on stock internals. thanks

dkmura: I know and all rain it's because of the hurricane on the pacific. the next day I checked intercooler piping and throttle body and they were full of water, didn't wanted to try and turning on but the guy from the issuance tried turn it on and nothing. i know for sure the engine its seized, you never know maybe even a bend rod.

Bmurray350z: yeah I was really sad. if they totaled the car I'm hoping I can buy it back though. as long they don't ask too much for it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Calinismo350z

Originally Posted by NFSP 350
Sucks dude. I live in Panama City & we have had a record year for rain. I have on driven my Z 4 times in the last 2 months. This whole week here has been nice & starting this afternoon through middle of next week in more rain so can't drive the Z again.

As for you car options, I own a 08 G8 GT & love the thing. I was kind of considering selling it but I really do enjoy it so much so I likely wont. I would say go G8. What was the extent of the damage inside the car? Even if insurance says totalled I personally would keep it & do a built motor like you mentioned.
yeah and that day I was gonna drive my 720 but I didn't thought it was going to rain I mean the sky was clear it came out of nowhere.. Tell me about it I test drove a G8 2 days ago, man!! it feels nice family car, power, luxury.. you have everything. even thought I didn't feel like it pulled the same as my 350 but again mine was SC. Hope they don't ask too much so I can buy it back and maybe get me that G8. it will be nice. haha
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it got in your engine it might not be totalled.

It the water got actually in your car then yes. Electric would be a nightmare.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Calinismo350z

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
If it got in your engine it might not be totalled.

It the water got actually in your car then yes. Electric would be a nightmare.
it also got inside the car. all carpet was wet. I think it has something electrical going on to because yesterday all the lights were blinking. I mean I haven't take a look at anything since I don't want the isurance to think I put hands on it.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:18 AM
saputo

Originally Posted by Calinismo350z
stuartc323: all 3 cars are in my price range but I wonder witch platform I can get more power out of it on stock internals. thanks

dkmura: I know and all rain it's because of the hurricane on the pacific. the next day I checked intercooler piping and throttle body and they were full of water, didn't wanted to try and turning on but the guy from the issuance tried turn it on and nothing. i know for sure the engine its seized, you never know maybe even a bend rod.

Bmurray350z: yeah I was really sad. if they totaled the car I'm hoping I can buy it back though. as long they don't ask too much for it.
335i n54 twin turbo setup 335i. For a 3-4 grand you can get a chip, down pipe, intake, exhaust and methanol and be in the 400-450 whp range. Go look at the bmw forms, i have 3 friends with 335i and the potential is ridiculous.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:06 AM
padilla03z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not totaled man, they price u for a used engine at similar milage...my **** turned out to I think 4grand wit labor and all that. I just got my engine built...its sittin at dynasty now
Old 08-31-2013, 05:20 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep us updated...

How many miles are on it? That's a big factor with any car and the chance of total it out.

If it got in the carpet that sucks if it sat because it could leave a lot of unknown damage until you pull carpet out.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:03 AM
Calinismo350z

saputo: yeah I heard about those BMW they have a lot of torque.

padilla03z: I got a called from the insurace yesterday they said to take the car to the dealership so they can run a full diagnostic and if the ecu and electrical stuff it's running good then they're just gonna replace the engine.If they give me 4-5k I'm gonna put the rest of the money to do a 2jz swap. already called JER and they quote me 7-8k out the door everything running.

oldschool350z: It had 82k on it. I know that's what I was thinking man, when the water comes from the rain it has a lot of strong minerals that can cause quick corrosion on metal. If they do fix it I'm plating on telling them to put new carpet on it too and clean all the inside.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:05 PM
HanoverZ

I'm looking into getting a 335i right now. I love them.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
Calinismo350z

Originally Posted by HanoverZ
I'm looking into getting a 335i right now. I love them.
I bet!! if you get it let me know how it drives.. post some pics.. and good luck man.!!
Old 09-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by Calinismo350z
this past Sunday rained pretty hard in palms springs area everywhere was flooded, unfortunately I was shopping before it started raining so by the time I was going back home all the streets were full of water. I was going to parked my Z on a mini market and called someone to pick me up. To make it a short story water got into the engine so the car turned off right away. I'm just waiting for the insurance to tell me if it's gonna be totaled. if it comes to get the engine fix I'm thinking on putting a little extra out of my pocket to fully build the engine. how ever I've been doing done research in case I need a new car and the ones I have in mind until now it's: Pontiac G8 GT, Infiniti G37S and BMW 335i TT. what would you guys get if it comes to get a new car, of course it's also going to be modified (nitrous, supercharger or TT who knows) any opinions/suggestions welcome.
Mitsubishi Evolution. Or Subaru STI. But if it is only your engine I would think a ls2 swap would be awesome choice if you went with a new engine.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by NFSP 350

If you don't mind me asking what other car do you drive if you are not driving your Z? I have been looking to pick up another vehicle but am having tough time deciding. Thinking truck, Subaru outback, Subaru 2.5 rs with engine swap, jeep wrangler, etc. I want something that I can take offroad and is good in wet weather.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:56 AM
MisoHoni

Originally Posted by Zmandriving
...I want something that I can take offroad and is good in wet weather.
All I read is Truck Truck Truck Truck. DO IT already! lol
Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 AM
Zmandriving

Originally Posted by MisoHoni
All I read is Truck Truck Truck Truck. DO IT already! lol
Yeah that's what I am leaning toward. I want a manual truck. Looking at Frontier or Tacoma, but then was thinking about Jeep unlimited. Just have to find the right deal.

Quick Reply: 80% chance my car is totaled =\