Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

messed with a subaru dealer today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 08:24 AM
Nic00Z28M6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Hupp, anytime you want to rerun the two cars let me know, I enjoyed walking you... in both.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Hupperware

This is all you'll see with messing with an STi
Old 01-29-2004, 11:03 AM
Nic00Z28M6

OK, I will drive the 350z and you drive the STi... video this time.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:41 AM
phile

The STi has 13hp more, and 27ft-lbs more torque. I'm sure The Z could be modified to be on par hp/tq wise with the STi. The STi has the awd advantage, but from a 5mph roll, if the Z was slightly modified, they would be neck and neck I assume. The problem is guys, if they want to go from a 13.8, to a 12.9 1/4mile, all they have to do is buy a turbo exhaust. For us to do that, we'd prolyl have to spend 6K minimum.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:54 AM
Mr_Q

The STi may be ugly as sin but it will kick the Zs *** in the curves.

I test drove STis, Zs, EVO8s, RX8s, S2000s, and a BoxsterS before I bought. 2 months of test drives. Then did the research for 4 months.

Bottom line. Here is what I thought.

1) 350z looks the best in and out. (RX8 was close though)

2) Many electronic toys to play with (touring ed)

3) It impresses instantly (the valet takes notice right away as does my wife)

4) It has plenty of straight line power.

5) it handles amazingly in the turns especially on turn exits.

6) Did I mention how nice the inside is and those seats are gnarly

7) The joys of a true two seater

And that was that.

The slight loss of curve-carving ability does not out-weigh my other needs. I'd have to give up too many of above items just to be about 1.5 secs quicker around a track. I'm fine with that.

WRX and STis especially still scream ECONO-MOBILE in and out. I don't care how fast they can zip through a turn or run in the 1/4. If you want a car that is ugly and runs fast in the quarter buy an old muscle car or stripped down turbo civic hatch! Save a buck.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Hupperware

Ugly is a matter of opinion... I bet everyone on here thinks their girlfriend/boyfriend isn't ugly... but I bet if you post pictures of them you will get a difference of opinion. Price for price, stock for stock, the STi is the fastest production car out of Japan in the 30K price range.

Who would ever say their NEW car that they own is ugly? Not many. It's like people asking you, "How do you like your Z?" I always want to yell at them and ask them who has ever told them they they didn't like their new car that they throw 10s of thousands of doallars at.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:31 PM
Mr_Q

I agree with you.

The STi is the fastest sub 30K car out of Japan. And if you are all about actually taking your car to a track; it is the way to go.

Thing is, most don't. Most just race at stop lights or on the highway and sometimes you'll find one on the twisties.

However I have seen numerous EVOs and STis on the twisties and they drive like [grandma's]. I must ask myself "why did you buy that car"?!?

I am not condoning street racing, but at least drive with some vigor! I mean just 10mph over the limit ain't gonna kill anyone!

I just wanted refined luxary in a 2 seat sports car. The G35 would have given me even more luxo-factor but it has that rear "seat" thing as they call it. Oh and it's 3K more.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:56 PM
ranger5oh

How bout you STi people race us i the snow too? They are 4wd.. we dont launch as fast. You will kill us off the line, from a roll we are dead even. I have raced several.
The reason I dont like the STi is simple aestetics. The things are ugly inside and out. It is like straping a rocket to a fat woman and riding it around.... sure its fast, and its fun... but damn its UGLY!
Old 01-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Nic00Z28M6

If you raced an STi stock for stock in your 350z and you were even, the driver of that STi wasn't too hot. I have driven and raced both and the STi will slowly walk away from a roll. I don't know why everybody is so stuck on peak HP/TQ numbers, that doesn't mean anything compared to area under the curve which the STi has the slight advantage of.

I myself like both the 350z and STi for different reasons. They are both suited for different people with different tastes and different wants. Hell, I wish I could drive around both for different occasions.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:23 PM
trackstar

I don't agree with the comments re: stock STi dominating at the track (i.e. curves). The STi has a lot of body roll, quite a bit of understeer, a slow steering rack. Every magazine has said it is difficult to drive fast because of it's handling characteristics. From my personal experience, I agree. The stock car feels floaty and unresponsive.

On the other hand, the Z has repeatedly been referred to as easy to drive fast. The Z has better steering and shifting feel, more neutral balance, and less understeer.

And as far as power: I don't know the power:weight ratio but I bet they are very close. As far as area under the curve, I'd like to see side-by-side stock dynos, because the Z has a very linear power curve and flat torque curve, which is tough to beat. Stock for stock, I'd say it is more of a driver's race. And it is not as easy to get modded power out of an STi as some might suggest. Even simple mods cause CELs, boost creep, and lean AF ratios. And the STi has no pull near redline.

I do think the STi is a great car and has potential. But it is very juvenile looking (I haven't met any non-car nuts yet who think it is a good-looking car). And I would still prefer a Z in the twisties.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:25 PM
Fiero

Personally I love the Z but need the functionality of a Sedan. So to me the STi is a great deal.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Mr_Q

Actually saw a great race from "Best Motoring". Those guys can drive!

M3
Boxster
S2000
350z

and a GT-R chase car.

The 350z won.

The S2000 was able to catch up in the curves but not enough. And then in the straight aways it didn't have enough power.

The M3 was just too heavy but it did manage to get to second place near the end.

The Boxster was dead last and a dog

The GT-R with it's AWD had no problems riding that Zs tail and then passing it. Haha, but to be fair it also has GOBS of power. It's totally underated at 287. 2.6 liter inline 6 twin turbo!
Old 01-29-2004, 07:06 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by Hupperware
This is all you'll see with messing with an STi
??
what? an ugly @ss wing?
Old 01-29-2004, 07:12 PM
nigevellie

Originally posted by ranger5oh
The things are ugly inside and out. It is like straping a rocket to a fat woman and riding it around.... sure its fast, and its fun... but damn its UGLY!

dude! that's so wrong!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:58 PM
VQ35DES

Originally posted by cedusett
I don't care how fast that car is, it still won't be fast enough to catch up with all the girls... who will be running away... because that car is so *** **** ugly.
Thank god for window tints, otherwise theyd still be running.

Originally posted by phile
I'm sure The Z could be modified to be on par hp/tq wise with the STi. The STi has the awd advantage, but from a 5mph roll, if the Z was slightly modified, they would be neck and neck I assume. The problem is guys, if they want to go from a 13.8, to a 12.9 1/4mile, all they have to do is buy a turbo exhaust. For us to do that, we'd prolyl have to spend 6K minimum.

The cars potentials are just about the same (money wise) - a cheap turbo kit from greddy (~6000) plus the base price of the Z (~26000) = ~32000 which is just about the same price of the STI.

But in that case (vs a base 350) the STI comes standard with 13" Brembos, HIDs, AWD w/ DCCD (driver controlled center differential), better tires-bridgestone RE070s (as compared to the RE040s), LSDs, no radio, and crapy suspension (as compared to the EVO)

Engine wise ~NA, the 350 wins without a doubt. Although the STI would still be around the corner with its variable valve timing and pancake engine.

Now if we're talking boost, if both cars ran at say...1 bar, the 350 would mahl the STI ~duh.

Oh yeah, and the STI runs 13.2 with the right driver not 13.8.

It all came down to that embarassing hang glider (which you could still sell on ebay for 500+) and the oversized bread box on the hood. Just think of it as dating Jennifer Lopez - big ugly a$$, big mouth, but damn she fine.
Attached Thumbnails messed with a subaru dealer today.-untitled-2-copy.jpg  

Last edited by VQ35DES; 01-30-2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:08 PM
R.J._Vancouver

Default STi BAH!

STi Bah! Look at the two cars. Is there even a comparison?
So the the Sti is a little faster. WHO CARES. I`ve seen STi`s in traffic, and nobody even looks twice at them, other than car guys that know what it is. And I`m not buying a performance car to attract men :-)
I often taunt a buddy of my with a regular WRX I ask him "Did that 4 door come with baby seat?"
WRX, or STi, It`s just a tricked out Impreza.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:56 PM
lopchild

Default Addition to "Nothing's" comment....

I think what "Nothing" was trying to say is: you can see a Z here and there....there are 35,000 sold in US. .....Yes, its not a ferrari or anything, but its like having a 6 inch *****....you'll get laid here and there - just enough to brag about & feel like your ahead of the"other guy".

But an STI, it's like being 3 foot tall with a 22 inch *****. Either way, you're NOT gettin' laid.

HAHHAHA

Luser.

Ha ha ha! At $32K! What 18 year old can afford that! Now we come to the truth from me... I loved the Z when it came out... then I saw one on every friggin corner. Nissan did a poor job of putting one out with the same specs that a McDonalds manager could afford (hence the multi generation). I see at least 3 Z coupes a day. It's sick... Reminds me of the new body mustangs, everyone has one.

I've only seen 3 other STis on the road... EVER. It's not faster than yours issue... more unique.

PS... I'm hooked on Z now... (anti-flame suit on)
Old 01-31-2004, 01:00 PM
lopchild

Default What is THAT???!!

That is a stock WING on the Sti?!??! Did some designer just get through with a doobie and Alice in Wonderland when they stuck that 6-pack beer handle on there?!?! Pick that car up, and toss it out like last weeks penthouse magazine....

Originally posted by nigevellie
??
what? an ugly @ss wing?
Old 01-31-2004, 01:04 PM
lopchild

Default whatss wrong

Youre just pissed off cuz you cant take your Hubaju back to the Dealer & buy a Z.....

Ugly is a matter of opinion... I bet everyone on here thinks their girlfriend/boyfriend isn't ugly... but I bet if you post pictures of them you will get a difference of opinion. Price for price, stock for stock, the STi is the fastest production car out of Japan in the 30K price range.

Who would ever say their NEW car that they own is ugly? Not many. It's like people asking you, "How do you like your Z?" I always want to yell at them and ask them who has ever told them they they didn't like their new car that they throw 10s of thousands of doallars at.
Old 01-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Nic00Z28M6

Default Re: whatss wrong

Originally posted by lopchild
Youre just pissed off cuz you cant take your Hubaju back to the Dealer & buy a Z.....
You must be "special", he has both.

Quick Reply: messed with a subaru dealer today.