Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

messed with a subaru dealer today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 08:33 PM
alex100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed with a subaru dealer today.

I went in to look at the wrx sti, this thing is pretty durn nice... too bad I love the Z more, but I figgure I should atleast see it, incase I ever need to get into something more practical....

I told the dealer that I was lookin for something faster than my car, but more practical, he asked what my 0-60 time was. I said 5 seconds just to see what he said.. and he said "Oh, this is 4.9!" like it was much of a difference.. lol! then he asked about quarter mile time..

I said 13 (of course I was lying but my Greddy TT kit, and borla headers and ECU chip are comming soon) he said oh they are about even.. then he started arguing with me that the wrx handles curves better then the Z. Of course I protested, and he offered to race me up a mountain right away.

I of course accepted his offer, but he didn't do it. (too bad!) lol! it was fun though, it is practical if you have family but I dont at this time, so I'm gonna stick with my Z.

just thought i'd share that with you guys..
Old 01-26-2004, 08:55 PM
iLLestJrz

I tried to mess with them, but since they would let me test drive the Sti, I said forget it I'm leaving to the Nissan Dealer.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Hupperware

I've got an STi also... it will kill the Z in corners. I also just strapped on my Borla exhaust and took them out for a run... My stock STi (I was driving the Z, friend in the STi) pulled 5 car lengths on me.

Any one in Arizona that wants to test against it... let me know.

I ran a 13.7 stock... with a turbo back exhaust on the STi it turns a 12.9

Last edited by Hupperware; 01-26-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:14 PM
samw1978

what excuse did he use to NOT racing you as he said?
Old 01-26-2004, 10:23 PM
alex100

after I accepted his offer he turned around walked away and chuckled.... yeah... the STI is the faster car, and more practical, but I am not rich enough to have TWO cars.. and right now the Z is right for me...
Old 01-27-2004, 12:32 AM
spinninbackfist

I looked at the STI was not impressed at all. Sure it's quick but to me the inside was cheap looking the doors felt paper thin like I could punch my hand through it, hell it didn't even come with a radio or floor matts. And they were trying to sell it for $38,000 I just laughed and walked off.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:52 AM
alex100

the one I looked at had all the bells and whistles, and they wanted 23k for it, which I thought was still too much...
Old 01-27-2004, 05:48 AM
padam07

Originally posted by alex100
the one I looked at had all the bells and whistles, and they wanted 23k for it, which I thought was still too much...
23k??? Seems kind of low. Sure it was an STi?
Old 01-27-2004, 06:25 AM
jEzTeR

I spent some time at the Subaru dealership myself.I had a hard time deciding between the Z and STI.2 totally differant cars AWD turbo vs RWD n/a. The STI that I drove was a monster! After driving an EVO VIII the STI felt like a whole lot more car.
In the end I went with the Z because it is a car that I know I will be happy with for 5-10 years.I also perfer the styling of the Z over the 4 door STI.

Both are awesome cars.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:45 AM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Originally posted by alex100
I don't think so, take the STI out and maybe, but the regular WRX retails MSRP at 24,600.

The base STI starts out at $31,120. And there aren't many options.

I think you saw a regular WRX.

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Invoice Price: Not Listed
Retail Price: $31,120

Engine(s): 2.5L H4, 16 - Valve, 300 @ 6000 Horsepower
Fuel Economy (cty/hwy): 18 mpg / 24 mpg
Warranties: Basic: N/A / N/A
Powertrain: N/A / N/A
Rust: N/A / N/A

Standard Features:
· Driver Airbag
· Front Dual Seat-Mounted Side-Impact Airbags With Head Protection
· In-Glass Radio Antenna
· See more features...
Optional Features:
· (PIO) STi Turbo Boost Gauge
· (DIO) AM/FM ETR(R) Radio; 6-Disc CD Changer

Show me a new STI fully loaded for $23K, and I will fly there and hand the dealer a bank check for $23K.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:31 AM
Jun
350Z-holic

maybe he meant 32k.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:55 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

It's always fun to mess with dealers. I'm sure a toyota dealer would probably give you the same performance data for the celica.

The STI was intended for the enthusiasts who buy a vehicle based solely on engine and drivetrain stats. The Z is designed with different enthusiasts in mind.

Pretty much the difference between guys who bought LS1 camaros vs. LS1 vettes.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:14 PM
alienx

I'm a little confused. Not to start more of the "this car is better" stuff, but isn't the STI only 13HP more than a Z? I keep reading how everyone in here feels it's SO fast. I just have a hard time warming up to the idea that 13HP is such a big difference. Obviously, I am negating any AWD advantage from a dead stop.

Having said this, I like my Z a lot. But none of the cars in the class are the end-all car to me. I just bought the one that appealed to me most. Wish it had more motor though!

PS. My buddy has the regular WRX, and it is fun as hell to drive. I guess one with 75 more HP would be that much more fun.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Nothing

I think you guys are forgetting one very important thing:

...just a little reminder.

N.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:39 PM
TZUNAMI

Nothin,

Nuf said!
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Norel350Z

i donno, the Z to my Ooozes class, and as a young adult (21 years old) im done with the "my cars faster then yours thing"..Id rather have a car that gets looks, and ooos and aaas then a car that beats some 17 year old in a civic. The attraction or the Z was the Beauty of the car, the STI to me is a car geared to 18 year old (no offence to the older people who own them) and the Z is more of a multi generation car... THe box-ness of the STI, def put a bad taste in my mouth, not to mention the wing on the back... To me the Z looks like its doing 100mph when its sitting at a red light... Then i drove one, and fell even deeper in love with it.

On that note i did the same thing sorta with a Mazda dealer looking at the new RX8.. however he wouldn't even let me take it out for a drive, just let me sit in it, and told me that if i wanted to drive it i would need to make an apointment.. i sorta laughed and he said something about them being limited production numbers and keeping the milage down.. I looked at him and said "its a mazda, not a porsche" i don't think he took it to nicly, bid me a good day and sorta hustled me out the door.... In hine sight i gues it wasn't the best idea to pull up to the dealership in my 04 Z, but hey who said a guy can't do a little comparision test driving

Last edited by Norel350Z; 01-27-2004 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Hupperware

Too bad that's not a picture 04 STi we are talking about...

Yes it's true that there is only a 13 hp difference but remember these things... the revlimiter in the STi is also 500 rpm higher, it makes HP/TQ all the way to 6100, and the Z has 27 ft-lbs of torque less.

Last edited by Hupperware; 01-27-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Hupperware

Originally posted by Norel350Z
The attraction or the Z was the Beauty of the car, the STI to me is a car geared to 18 year old (no offence to the older people who own them) and the Z is more of a multi generation car
Ha ha ha! At $32K! What 18 year old can afford that! Now we come to the truth from me... I loved the Z when it came out... then I saw one on every friggin corner. Nissan did a poor job of putting one out with the same specs that a McDonalds manager could afford (hence the multi generation). I see at least 3 Z coupes a day. It's sick... Reminds me of the new body mustangs, everyone has one.

I've only seen 3 other STis on the road... EVER. It's not faster than yours issue... more unique.

PS... I'm hooked on Z now... (anti-flame suit on)

Last edited by Hupperware; 01-27-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:31 PM
alienx

Well, the torgue may explain it, and I haven't seen the Z and STI curves next to each other, but maybe that is my answer.

As far as all this one looks better so it doesn't have to be as fast, or one is faster so who cares what it looks like, I see in here all the time, I will be the first to say that I'm not satisfied unless it does it all. And none of the cars in the class do. So again, I got the one I liked the best, but I still wish it had more power. I guess that's what keeps me looking down the road for new cars coming out!
Old 01-27-2004, 04:45 PM
Nothing

Spare me, they look the same... the sti is ugly as sh*t. And it's only marginally faster than a Z. I'd give up 13hp in a second to get rid of that assnasty look. It's like asking to be 3 inches taller but being fat and ugly as sin.

N.

Originally posted by Hupperware
Too bad that's not a picture 04 STi we are talking about...

Yes it's true that there is only a 13 hp difference but remember these things... the revlimiter in the STi is also 500 rpm higher, it makes HP/TQ all the way to 6100, and the Z has 27 ft-lbs of torque less.

Quick Reply: messed with a subaru dealer today.