Sponsored by:

Build the Z or Chopper...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Neeko94

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Build the Z or Chopper...

Hey fello trolls,

I need some personal opinions from you guys.
So I JUST turned 19, 2 weeks ago and I got my Z back in march. (I paid myself)
I save every dollar I can and manage my money very well.
Recently I got offered a job at a HUGE corporation through mutual friends thats about an hour away. But in the career path Id like to be in. versus my job now.
The job pay will start off decent, but the owner said he will move me up fast because of our mutual friends.
With the mpg im getting with the Z and cost of toll roads time/travel. I had to decline the job for now while still going to school fulltime.

Though. my question is,
Should I continue to build my Z (plan to eventually gut it and go FI) and stick with my current job until Im done with school and move forward

OR. Get a chopper/bike and make the commute to the new job offered?

If I keep the Z its going to be built for time attacks
and If I get a chopper I can get a free paint job and engine rebuild if needed by Harpoon (reputable name in the chopper industry)

I kind of stuck to decide here.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:41 PM
stuartc323

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if new job pays you enough, you shouldnt have to worry about gas, where in LA do you live and where is the new job?
Old 01-05-2014, 07:57 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

^^^ My thoughts exactly... Gotta give us more to go on.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
NismoDude

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You are 19 and the OWNER of a HUGE CORPORATION said he will move you up fast?

Give us a bit more info, if you want our best advice.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Neeko94

The new job is in irvine, and Im in chino hills.
Starting would be $12 an hour, which isnt much when I factor my time, gas and toll road fees.
So thats when I would struggle.
But once I bump up to around $16 - $20 an hour, life will be alot easier haha.

Job now: Americas tires 4 lights down from my house $10 an hour. busting my ***, getting filthy. flexible hours. but get free used tires and discounted new tires.

Job opportunity: 45-1hr commute taking the toll roads. STARTING at $12. get my own desk and my own MAC. non flexible hours. career path I plan on going. BIG room for promotions.
(company is liquid graphics: 2nd largest Tshirt printer. print for Monster, Hurley, Billagong, stussy, nintendo, Fox, RVCA you name it)

Also to keep in mind I go to school twice a week for full days, and obviously homework obligations .
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM
NismoDude

Sounds like a good opportunity for you.

But this is a tough decision to weigh.

Having lived in SoCal, and still visit there alot on vacations and long weekends, I am still blown away by the traffic and how long it can actually take to get from point A to point B.

The reality of gas in CA probably NEVER going below $3 a gallon again is also huge. It's not just the cost of gas when you commute 50 miles round trip a day - it's wear and tear on your vehicle, more frequent oil and tire changes, etc.

At just $2 an hour more than you are currently making, I would say that the new job will put you in the hole, at least initially. But I know working at a tireshop is major bust *** work and if you enjoy the new job it might make it worth it. The potential for promotion sounds better too.

However, if the extra work and travel hours prevent you from going to school - this has to be weighed in the long term. I guess it comes down to what you are going to school for, and if you think there will be a definite payoff for your efforts. Just getting school credits on your resume does NOT necessarily translate to a higher paying future job.

Just some thoughts for you to ponder, this is a decision with so many factors that only you can weigh them.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:57 PM
HanoverZ

Keep the Z stock, take the new job, stabilize your finances, use extra money on the Z. If you go FI, have a back up vehicle lined up because you should assume it will break down at one point or another.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:00 PM
SolePlayground

Easy decision. Take the new job. You got a job offering in your career path which you are currently going to school for. Like ^ said, school credits on your resume doesn't mean you will automatically get a high paying future job. Connections are everything and you have them.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Take the job and figure a way to stay in school
Old 01-05-2014, 11:37 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best advice I ever had was to learn to write well. That includes spelling, punctuation, grammar, and composition. Learn how to do it, and practice every time you write something.

The upside to being able to write well is that you will think about things more clearly, and that usually means making better decisions. I trained as an engineer, and I was pretty good at that, but being able to write well made me stand out in the group when it came time for promotions and raises.

The payoff was being able to retire when I was 46, instead of working until I was 64. I'm pretty sure thinking clearly and making good decisions had a lot to do with that.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 AM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I hope you stay in school to improve your spelling and grammar. I wouldn't waste time building the Z because it's a waste of money. Unless you really want FI. From the sound of it, you'll be spending a lot of money trying to get to your new job and fixing wear and tear. Plus, unless your going to school to learn a valuable skill like any engineering, sciences, medical field or to improve your grammer or spelling, I suggest not wasting time with that. That's also a waste of money.

Last edited by Jah70; 01-06-2014 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:12 AM
Jah70

You can also pick up a trade too. Those will never be a waste of time and money.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:42 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Isnt $12/hr like peanuts in LA? and if you were to get promoted and move up quickly to $20 isnt that next-to-nothing all things considered(cost of living, fuel, maintenance, traffic, etc) - this isnt a personal attack.

I would finish your degree program and aim to make a much more respectable salary…

I would keep working at your current job until you graduate, have a kickass job making much more than $12, and I would do everything I can to stay out of debt, which it sounds like you're doing already.

As far as the chopper and/or built z goes - don't get a nice bike simply to put miles on it to. get the chopper to ride and enjoy and/or build the z up to have and enjoy - neither to economize on something that isnt longterm - if you don't plan on having your z forever than don't sink money into it.

Last edited by bealljk; 01-06-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 AM
oldschool350z

16-20 an hour isn't much when you factor in the cost of living and taxes.

Save your money for an emergency savings fund. You will never get back the money you put into a vehicle
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
16-20 an hour isn't much when you factor in the cost of living and taxes.

Save your money for an emergency savings fund. You will never get back the money you put into a vehicle
^exactly. Why would you want to build the Z with the amount of money your making now anyways? Just enjoy the car for what it is man. Someone will always be faster than you or slower. No sense in d*** measuring when your in debt eating noodles with an apartment in crip territory.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:45 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
Save your money for an emergency savings fund.
+1 to the emergency fund!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:55 AM
oldschool350z

I wouldn't get in the mindset of a career path because most companies even large corporations are going bankrupt, or restructuring. The economic downturn in 2008 never really improved in my opinion.

Be glad you have a job that pays that much versus minimum wage. Start saving early, you never know when you will need that money.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 AM
Nismo350z#0310

Received 562 Likes on 441 Posts

why do young people always tell their age and then say they paid for it themselves and tell us how they save their money

no one asked

Stay in school. Take your new job. Someone who is already had experience and has a job will always be able to get a new job easier. The biggest part of starting a career is getting your foot in the door and having experience in that field. Take the job.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 AM
Jah70

Originally Posted by Nismo350z#0310
why do young people always tell their age and then say they paid for it themselves and tell us how they save their money

no one asked

Stay in school. Take your new job. Someone who is already had experience and has a job will always be able to get a new job easier. The biggest part of starting a career is getting your foot in the door and having experience in that field. Take the job.
I'm not gonna lie, my M3 was fully paid for as a birthday/reward instead of money from a previous client I worked with. My Z was also a graduation present from my father also. If it were up to me I would still be driving my 95 Toyota Camry because I don't give a f***. I actually still don't give a f** which is why i still have it to not get any unwanted attention in some bad areas.

Last edited by Jah70; 01-06-2014 at 04:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:59 AM
BornSlippyZ

I use to live in Socal and commuted from Santa Ana to Ranch Cucamonga everyday (long commute at times). I finished up my schooling after work too. I would take the job and go to school afterwards. No need to go into debt by throwing money into your car either. Or plan B would be get some roommates and move closer to work.

Quick Reply: Build the Z or Chopper...