travlee
Master

Received 9,056 Likes on 6,521 Posts

one of my ex's had a tl, it was nice.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:02 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
nope they are belts. properly maintained the 3G TL's will run forever. mine still starts and drives like new after 113k. no weird rattles, nothing falling apart, they are just rock solid.
Good to know, I was under the impression belts were much less reliable.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

*ahem*
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye z-images.jpg  
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,056 Likes on 6,521 Posts

thanks 3hree5ive0ero.... get this thread back on track
Old 01-24-2014, 09:26 AM
antifungal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody750
Well the motor in my wife's car went out, so it looks like I am trading the z. I have an 03 base with almost 120k miles, no mods except exhaust. I found an 05 acura tl with nav, leather, everything, it has about 115k miles. We have a 1 yr old and she cant really drive my diesel so unfortunately the z has to go. I am going to miss the power, rear wheel drive, and def 6mt. What's everybody's thoughts on my car +2k cash for his car? All cash and paperwork is going through my bank.
not a fan of high mileage cars. Plus youre adding 2k?? Nah
Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 AM
ZGuts

Gotta do what you gotta do. Why not try to trade for a wrx or something else that is four doors and sporty? Having a family doesn't mean sacrificing fun. Hope everything works out, goodluck OP!
Old 01-24-2014, 10:56 AM
Syner

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
*ahem*
Old 01-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Cody750

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks everybody besides the single douchenozzle everybody already mentioned, i wasnt/am not set on the tl but its hard to find a wrx or another sporty 4 door car around here for anywhere near my price range. I know i will have another z one day as the wife loves the car and i do too, this is my second one already(traded the first one for my dream car) and the next one will def be hr. I was also looking at the g35 and is250 as i seen some fairly priced, but nobody in my area was up for a trade. and unfortunately the guy that had my z before me didnt take care of it to well. I thought about getting an older maxima/camry etc but my wife really likes this acura and i know it will be safer baby wise then an early 2000 or late 90s model.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cody750
thanks everybody besides the single douchenozzle everybody already mentioned, i wasnt/am not set on the tl but its hard to find a wrx or another sporty 4 door car around here for anywhere near my price range. I know i will have another z one day as the wife loves the car and i do too, this is my second one already(traded the first one for my dream car) and the next one will def be hr. I was also looking at the g35 and is250 as i seen some fairly priced, but nobody in my area was up for a trade. and unfortunately the guy that had my z before me didnt take care of it to well. I thought about getting an older maxima/camry etc but my wife really likes this acura and i know it will be safer baby wise then an early 2000 or late 90s model.
You can get a V6 Camry from 2003 and up. They are hidden gems in terms of sporty-ness. It's safe for the baby, it's got some pep from that engine, it's cheap and reliable. You could also get the corolla XRS that has the same high reving engine from the last celica gt-s. Again, easy on the wallet so you can get a GTR later down the road.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:39 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
I'd keep my "man card" and happily trade my car for a minivan any day if it's what my "woman" wanted, at least I'm getting laid.
No, that doesn't keep your man card. That keeps your "honey do" card as in what should I do honey? You wuss, I showed up at my wife's work in a 911 with 2 kids in child seats in the pretend backseat because i wanted a 911 and said look what I bought!

(albeit I later had to promise to quit smoking and secure the child seats appropriately or I wasn't going to get any for a bit).
Old 01-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Destroyeron

Not worth maybe putting a down payment or some new/lightly used runaround?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:47 PM
Syner

Originally Posted by RMichael
No, that doesn't keep your man card. That keeps your "honey do" card as in what should I do honey? You wuss, I showed up at my wife's work in a 911 with 2 kids in child seats in the pretend backseat because i wanted a 911 and said look what I bought!

(albeit I later had to promise to quit smoking and secure the child seats appropriately or I wasn't going to get any for a bit).
You rub me the wrong way, but not in a bad way

fkr
Old 01-25-2014, 02:16 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jah70
You can get a V6 Camry from 2003 and up. They are hidden gems in terms of sporty-ness. It's safe for the baby, it's got some pep from that engine, it's cheap and reliable. You could also get the corolla XRS that has the same high reving engine from the last celica gt-s. Again, easy on the wallet so you can get a GTR later down the road.
+1. I know people always associate cheap and reliable with Honda, but I must say the Toyota Camry is basically bulletproof. You really get more than you pay for with them. My fiance has a 09 XLS with navi and IMO it drives better than the Lexus IS. Once she gets a new car I will be taking the Camry and using it as my DD for sure.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 AM
meanz

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

My wife had a 05 Tl with leather and navi. Never had an issue out of the 6 years she owned it. Only reason she got rid of it was because someone pulled out in front of her and totaled it. Great car all around but I don't think I would trade my z plus money on top. Maybe an even trade. Make sure his maintenance is up to date.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:11 PM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Did those years have tranny issues? The tranny was replaced twice on my 96 and I know of alot of people have issues on their 2nd gen TLs. Never really heard of problems on the 3rd gen. I only have heard of one, my buddy just blew the tranny on his TL-S but he beat the crap out of his car so I would say it held up pretty well.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM
RedScytheZ

Originally Posted by TaliKiller
I can't really believe that your motor just "went out". I mean, where did it go? Did it have a reservation somewhere that you didn't know about, and I'm being facetious. But, seriously, if the engine is locked, yeah, goodbye. If you weren't using a full synthetic every 5k miles or so and good, premium gas, you probably have a lot of build up in the engine. It's a great car to have, and to be honest, if you can fix it, keep it. It's one of those cars that you'll kick yourself for getting rid of in 20 years, whether you're divorced or not. My Dad had a 1970 Pontiac Firebird that he misses every day. He got rid of it because my mom wanted a sedan because they had kids. Now they're divorced, and he wants it back. The moral of the story is that it's a terrible idea to get rid of your car for a woman. She's resilient, and I assume, reasonably intelligent, and has dealt with a diesel thus far. She can adapt, and if you're going to swap your Z for a grocery-getter like a TL (that's wrong wheel drive, mind you); I'll happily provide you with my address and postage so you can mail me your man card.
Grow some pubes before you ask someone for their "man card". You probably have no idea what it means to have responsibility.

I'm glad my father traded his mustang for lumina. Plenty of room to get my scraggly butt in and out and was comfy to fall asleep in the back lol

Last edited by RedScytheZ; 01-26-2014 at 09:00 PM.