Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Looking to downgrade the CD player, is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 05:28 PM
spybart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to downgrade the CD player, is this possible?

I have a 2006 350Z with the stock speakers and cd player. I want to upgrade the CD player but don't want that aftermarket look and feel. My goal is to be able to play stuff from my phone.

I had a brilliant idea, the older models also have a tape player, so why don't I upgrade the cd player with the CD/tape player from older models, and just use one of those tape audio adapters?

Is this possible? I even looked into tracking the part numbers, seems what I want is either 28188 CF000 or 28188 CE801. Can anyone shine in with some expertise?

Here are some links to those parts on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-05-BOSE-NISSAN-350Z-RADIO-TAPE-6-CD-CHANGER-PLAYER-28188-CF000-/261469858346?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3ce0d16a2a&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Nissan-350Z-Radio-Bose-6-Disc-Player-OEM-28188CF000-/251511467876?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ANissan&hash=item3a8f406f64&vxp=mtr
Old 07-29-2014, 05:54 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

When I sold my 06 I got a cd player from an 03 on CL. Hooked right up.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:28 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just out of curiosity, what don't you like about aftermarket?
Old 07-30-2014, 05:57 AM
Doggman9

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

Check out this thing. USA-Spec PA15-NIS. My Z has the Bose system stock so I didn't want to upgrade anything. I like the stock look because everything matches. This nifty device allows you to directly connect your iPhone to the stock head unit. It charges your phone and the steering wheel controls still work when playing music. I have one and it's awesome. I installed it myself but any respectable Audio Shop should be able to install it for relatively cheap. I got mine off eBay for a little over $100.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 AM
RyankPeck

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just get a double din touch screen.. I know that it's not factory for the Z but I don't think it looks too out of place especially since most cars come factory with them now.
Just don't get a cheap one and it will look nice.
But if factory is what you are really going for then do it up!
Old 07-30-2014, 11:18 AM
spybart

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going for stock look because everything matches, and unfortunately I have to keep my car outside so there is less risk of it getting broken into.

One concern I still have is that I have stock speakers (non-BOSE), and all the stock CD/tape players I could find on eBay have the BOSE logo on it, and in the description it says it only works in BOSE systems. Is that going to be an issue? Seems like something I can only know for sure when I buy and find out..
Old 07-30-2014, 12:20 PM
Doggman9

I don't know but I doubt the Bose headunit would work with the non-bose system. The Bose system has an Amp (mounted in the back under all the plastic compartments) alongside the headunit where as the non-bose system AFAIK uses an incorporated amp within the headunit.

The adapter I mentioned earlier is perfectly compatible with the non-bose system. If your goal is to play music through your phone then I don't see how this is not the obvious choice, it was for me. Not only can you do that, but it will charge your phone simultaneously, a feature you will not get by using that ghetto tape player -> 3.5mm adapter.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:43 PM
spybart

I like that adapter. The only thing that made me favor the tape player choice is that I wouldn't have a cable sticking out of my car, and I could play music from other sources (although I have an iPhone so that wasn't a big issue).

But it seems the BOSE headunit won't work in my car, based on what you said. Therefore, I'm pretty convinced that PA15-NIS adapter is the way to go. Btw, are you able to play music from apps via that device (i.e. Pandora, youtube), or does it only work with the iTunes library?

Thanks again, I will now meditate on this decision.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:54 PM
e30cabrio
350Z-holic

Received 2,578 Likes on 2,037 Posts

My car was a base fwiw.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:59 PM
jes1888

radios are the last thing i would consider 'out of place' on our cars, i have a jvc and i love it, wouldnt go back not even for money!

just in case, this is the one I have now. It's an old model, but it looks closely like an OEM radio, also you can connect a USB jump drive or the iphone cable to the radio and you can control the itunes library, pandora and everything while charging the iphone simultaneously, not to mention the sound improvement, you could even change modes and stuff. You could also add the bluetooth module and have wireless music streaming or car speakerphone (keep in mind others include it) it even works with stock steering wheel audio controls. Mine's a base model and I bought the buttons, installed them on the steering wheel and bought a module to emulate the signal for the new radio and now I have an enthusiast model features on my base, for me cruise control is next. I would definitely recommend going with aftermarket, specially since the module you want costs almost as an average radio like mine that can look pretty much like OEM, also, the out of place point of view could be better or worse, remember it also depends on the quality/skill of the installer...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vBmTJq2...C-KW-R500.html
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 AM
Doggman9

Originally Posted by spybart
I like that adapter. The only thing that made me favor the tape player choice is that I wouldn't have a cable sticking out of my car, and I could play music from other sources (although I have an iPhone so that wasn't a big issue).

But it seems the BOSE headunit won't work in my car, based on what you said. Therefore, I'm pretty convinced that PA15-NIS adapter is the way to go. Btw, are you able to play music from apps via that device (i.e. Pandora, youtube), or does it only work with the iTunes library?

Thanks again, I will now meditate on this decision.
There would be a cord going from your tape player adapter to your phone, right?

The adapter, if installed properly, can be much cleaner than that. In my car the cord comes out from the side of the transmission tunnel and that adapter box is behind the center console. It turned out quite well IMO.

You can opt to use the 3.5mm jack with the adapter as opposed to the proprietary iPhone jack. It comes with both so if you happen to get an Android or Windows smartphone later you could swap out the cords and you'd be good to go. No charging with the 3.5mm obviously.

Yes, you can play music through apps such as Pandora and YouTube. GPS directions will also come through if you have the GPS app open and directing. To me, this was perfect because the GPS on an iPhone is far superior than any GPS I've ever seen built into a car... Not to mention the touch screen on an iPhone is leagues above any touch screen I've ever used in a car. There was quite a bit of win here when I first tried it out.. I basically got GPS in my car for $150 where as Nav Packages are well into the $thousands from the factory and they're garbage compared to an iPhone in my opinion.

Also, some headunits take control of iPhones when you connect them. In other words, when you open the iTunes app on your phone it will say "Device Connected" and you can't do anything. This forces you to navigate through your music on the headunit. I know some people like this but personally, I think it sucks (been there done that). I'd much rather do everything on my iPhone considering its a significantly superior device than pretty much any headunit I've seen

That's just the way I see it. I've had the adapter for a little over a year now and its been perfect for me.

Last edited by Doggman9; 07-31-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 AM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Currently, I have the OEM Bose system in my 2004 Touring with USASPEC adapter. While the system works with well with an Apple phone and a Sirius receiver, I think you will be disappointed with the OEM system's poor audio. My Bose has always had a muddy sound that doesn't mix well with the "Z's" noisy interior. In fact, I am thinking of going to a double-din Pioneer just to improve my system. Generally, just a change in the receiver alone makes a huge difference in sound quality. On the other hand, switching to an OEM system should be cheap if sourced from ebay and you'll get your stock look.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM
RyankPeck

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey man I just came up with a pretty good idea which was to have a bluetooth adapter that would hook up to your stock headunit for bluetooth audio so I looked it up.
Found that a company named Grom makes this which may or may not work for you.. Figured I'd throw it your way so you can look into it. Plus you can get hands free calling with this which is a plus but you can just do it without that if you want I'm sure

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/bt3_a...thout_cat.html

Last edited by RyankPeck; 07-31-2014 at 11:47 AM.