2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Track or Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track or Touring?

Well, after returning from a little expedition to the Iraqi desert care of the USMC, I'll be buying a Z when I get back in October.

Now, considering that at that time, I'll be buying an '05 model, and who knows how the '05's will be different, should I get a track or touring?

I like the leather and the heated power seats of the performance, but I'll be tearing out the Blose system (bad experiences with the Blose system in my '90TT) and installing my own system.

Big brakes are easy to get and install (I'm relatively mechanically inclined, I've done most of the work myself on my modified '90TT), so that part of the track can be replicated on the touring.

I'm not worried about the extra weight of the touring, as, like I said, I'll be putting in a heavy stereo of my own, along with other mods, so a few extra pounds in power seats are no big deal.

I'll be getting the manual tranny, so I get the 18" wheel and tire combo on the touring which is more or less the same as on the track.

I want to add my own spoiler, as I don't like the stock spoiler. Probably a Stillen type I.

So, should I get the track or touring, considering all the above?

Dave 90TT
Old 02-04-2004, 09:41 PM
samw1978

According to what you said...
you don't want the stock spoiler...
you don't need the factory brembo...
you want leather...
you don't care about weight...
TOURING~! since you don't need the stuffs on the track

For me, I like the stock spoiler, I like the brembo
I don't want leather, I care about weight, so I went with Track
Old 02-04-2004, 11:40 PM
EL Diablo

I say TRACK but thats cuz I have one. but with some cash you can make any model Z exactly what you are looking for. really depends on what you want and how much $ you want to spend.
Good Luck, USMC!
Old 02-05-2004, 12:08 AM
ZRAYGO

touring.....leather seats are off da chain.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:57 AM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your going to replace the Bose system anyway, you might think about the Performance model. It will save you a couple grand and the only thing your giving up are heated leather seats. And you can do after market leather for a grand or so.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:14 AM
cedusett

Yeah I agree with Rat. It sounds like you don't really want any of the things that the Track OR Touring offer, and the Performance is a big price step down. If you take that road, you can use the saved money on your new stillen spoiler, and won't be wasting the extra cash on things like the Blose system.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:22 PM
NzZ

Default Re: Track or Touring?

I'd go touring. The power heated seats are great. The Z is hard to get in and out of (I'm not tall or overweight), and being able to slide the seat back easily w/power adjustment is very convenient. That and the leather interior just looks so much classier to me.

As for the brakes on the track, I'm not convinced they're worth the $. I'm sure they resist fade, but side-by-side comparisons have shown that they don't do squat for stopping distances. Unless you're gonna track it, why bother? And if you are gonna track, you can do a lot better than the Brembos anyway...the Stoptechs are supposedly incredible.

NzZ

Originally posted by Dave 90TT
Well, after returning from a little expedition to the Iraqi desert care of the USMC, I'll be buying a Z when I get back in October.

Now, considering that at that time, I'll be buying an '05 model, and who knows how the '05's will be different, should I get a track or touring?

I like the leather and the heated power seats of the performance, but I'll be tearing out the Blose system (bad experiences with the Blose system in my '90TT) and installing my own system.

Big brakes are easy to get and install (I'm relatively mechanically inclined, I've done most of the work myself on my modified '90TT), so that part of the track can be replicated on the touring.

I'm not worried about the extra weight of the touring, as, like I said, I'll be putting in a heavy stereo of my own, along with other mods, so a few extra pounds in power seats are no big deal.

I'll be getting the manual tranny, so I get the 18" wheel and tire combo on the touring which is more or less the same as on the track.

I want to add my own spoiler, as I don't like the stock spoiler. Probably a Stillen type I.

So, should I get the track or touring, considering all the above?

Dave 90TT
Old 02-05-2004, 03:54 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you said weight wasnt an issue if you need the weight. right?

well the heavier parts of the touring are the parts you want.

sounds like you want touring with some aftermarket brakes, rims, and stereo.

you could go performance with aftermarket brakes, rims, stereo, and seats. you being in hawaii I dont know how much the heated part matters to you.
Old 02-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Dave 90TT
350Z 2+2

Well, I'm in Hawaii now, but my next duty station is going to be Washignton DC, where it gets kind of cold, and my wife needs the heated seats.

It looks like the touring is the preferred option, for me, at least.

Throw on the spoiler I want, and a set of brakes, and that about covers what the track could give me. The only ting missing is the lightweight rims of the touring. Not sure about that, and knowing how expensive lightweight 18"s can be, I don't know if I will spend my cash on a new set of rims, or save it for the FI kit of choice.

Speaking of that, I want to go the SC route, but I hate the Stillen hood. Too bad I like everything else about the Stillen kit. Have to think about this one for awhile, and I have a while to do so

Dave 90TT