Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire blowout after patching

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Markhimself876

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire blowout after patching

So i just bought myself two rear tires from a local garage last week, after work today I noticed there was a huge nail in the shoulder of the right rear tire (first set of thread) I did some research a few minutes ago to find that the shoulders of a tire should NOT be patched, after telling a friend of mine that works at the same pep boys that did the patch is telling me I may be able to get 4 new tires for free..

Can anyone give me their take on this situation? What would you do if you were in my shoes? Ill be going tomorrow. Luckily the blowout didnt send me swerving all over the highway, first time using that spare and I absolutely hate looking at it as grateful as i am for the little donut. So many civics and mustangs made sure to pass by me as close as they possibly could...f*cking *******s.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:36 PM
soc_monki

they shouldnt have patched it. i was told once when i found a steel wire sticking out of the sidewall of a tire that they werent supposed to plug/patch a puncture in the sidewall or shoulder of a tire, but since i knew the manager pretty well he had them do it for me to get me by until i could get a new set of tires (within the week actually). i knew the risks, he knew the risks, and he didnt charge me so there was nothing leading back to them. not like i would have done anything, like i said i knew the risks.

i would see what you could do. maybe not a whole set of tires, but at least that one, depending on wear. maybe two (was it front or rear?) due to wear. either way, if you have a receipt, and they in fact did repair a tire they shouldnt have, they are liable, especially if they didnt tell you and/or didnt have you sign a waiver i think.

dont quote me on any of this, im no legal expert!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:44 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

So you left out a huge part of the story. Did you have the Pep Boys store attempt to patch the tire that had the nail in it? Otherwise, your question makes little sense.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Markhimself876

it was a quick in and out type of deal because they've seen me around the shop a few times. But to answer dkmura, yes he patched the right rear tire on the outer shoulder, several hours later I had a pretty bad blowout on the highway.

The guy that did the patch for me, I've seen him here and there and he did the patch for me. I was not given a reciept, but we were right under a camera in the parking lot as other cars were on the lifts. Maybe he used their supplies and pocketed the money for himself? I was in a rush to the airport and he also patched two other nails in my front left tire (luckily these were not in the shoulders) So i should be looking for a free tire tomorrow for sure, and to think I had my attorney's phone number at my fingertips.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:53 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

This makes very little sense,
No, you should not plug or patch shoulders or sidewalls. If your buddy patched it he should have warned you of possible consequences.

Who's giving you 4 free tires, #Obamatires?. Drift back to reality and drive safely.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:50 PM
shooter45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markhimself876
it was a quick in and out type of deal because they've seen me around the shop a few times. But to answer dkmura, yes he patched the right rear tire on the outer shoulder, several hours later I had a pretty bad blowout on the highway.

The guy that did the patch for me, I've seen him here and there and he did the patch for me. I was not given a reciept, but we were right under a camera in the parking lot as other cars were on the lifts. Maybe he used their supplies and pocketed the money for himself? I was in a rush to the airport and he also patched two other nails in my front left tire (luckily these were not in the shoulders) So i should be looking for a free tire tomorrow for sure, and to think I had my attorney's phone number at my fingertips.
You were in a rush to the airport so the guy helped you out by patching a tire instead of selling you a new tire.
So now you want a free tire ? Really ??
Plus, the guy that helped you will lose his job ... for helping you.
Why don't you ask for a new car, house, boat and a reality TV show while you're at it.
All because someone tried to help YOU ??
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 AM
tatman7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

without proper documents stating they patched your tire i would not go there thinking your getting anything for free, i can not beleive they did this at all. they took a very big risk of doing this, that is why it was not documented with paperwork. why did they not give you a ride home and leave the car there till a tire could be mounted and balanced? i would pick another reputable shop and have the tire replaced the right way. that cheap little fix could of cost you your life or someone else's. wow.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:05 AM
quakerroatmeal

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like OP's trying to scam pepboys for 4 new tires. All tire shops know not to repair sidewalk damage tires.. OP probably rushed the mechanic because he had to go to the airport or didn't want to replace his brand new tire that he just bought.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:02 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

#Obamatires
Old 11-18-2014, 06:17 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

You'll be lucky if you get anything from Pep Boys. No receipt = no record = they didn't do the work.

At best, you could take the guy who did the work to civil court. Even then, he could claim he warned you about the dangers which would it into a "he-said-she-said" debate. You tried to get a deal, it didn't work out. Sh*t happens. Buy a new tire and move on.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

Yeah bro, they'll totally give you 4 free tires. I do it all the time.

I work a relationship with the shitty "tire service reps" go in, bring them brownies, send their family Christmas cards and even clean their cars when they are sleeping.

I brought my geo metro in and (don't tell anyone) but I INTENTIONALLY screwed a nail (yes, screwed a freaking NAIL) into the sidewall. They FIXED IT (idiots) blew after two miles off off roading.

Little did they know that I had a Bugatti Veyron. Installed that bad boy 13" rim on my vey (That's what I call it) brought in in and DEMANDED 4 tires. Were they in for a treat. Called my lawyer and just from his voicemail they quivered in fear. They replaced my 4 tires under the #obamatires like jhc said(they were all bald...sukkas)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii

I work a relationship with the shitty "tire service reps" go in, bring them brownies, send their family Christmas cards and even clean their cars when they are sleeping.

I brought my geo metro in and (don't tell anyone) but I INTENTIONALLY screwed a nail (yes, screwed a freaking NAIL) into the sidewall. They FIXED IT (idiots) blew after two miles off off roading.

Little did they know that I had a Bugatti Veyron. Installed that bad boy 13" rim on my vey (That's what I call it) brought in in and DEMANDED 4 tires. Were they in for a treat. Called my lawyer and just from his voicemail they quivered in fear. They replaced my 4 tires under the #obamatires like jhc said(they were all bald...sukkas)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:51 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know about the rest of you, but this thread is very difficult to follow. The use of the English language seems to have been forgotten by a couple of the posters.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:14 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by KornerCarver
I don't know about the rest of you, but this thread is very difficult to follow. The use of the English language seems to have been forgotten by a couple of the posters.
It's been forgotten by an entire generation.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:13 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,056 Likes on 6,521 Posts

without paper saying they repaired it you have no proof they did it.... that is your fault, anytime someone touches my car i get a itemized receipt, it only makes cents (some people will get that, others wont)
Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by Markhimself876

I agree with the other posters here: you've got very little ammo to start a war here. Also, why are you thinking that getting Pep Boy tires for your high performance Z is a GOOD thing?
Old 11-18-2014, 02:39 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice! Veyron tires are like $42K a set

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii

Old 11-18-2014, 04:58 PM
saywat?

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I patched my own tire on the outter part where ur not supposed to. I had no issues lol lucky me I guess. but I made sure to monitor it through out its life (ie checked for rapid air leak, always made sure the psi was right ).
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 PM
The_Assassin

This is the reason some car shops hate to work on cars that people seem to mod. Bought enkeis and couldnt get any shop to put them on. Tire kingdom and tire plus said no. Pep boys did not want to do it either luckily after going over there they decided to help me out. Gave the guy a small tip lol. But yea OP its just a tire buy a new one. Dude helped you out by patching your busted tire. Why should you get a free one.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:27 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,260 Likes on 2,318 Posts

OK, after reading your story and the inanity that followed (LOL... Veyron), here's the straight scoop....

I came out of semi-retirement to take a job at a local Pep Boys last year just for the hell of it - but that's a whole 'nother story - as a parts grunt then moved over to manage the service department.

The official line: NO, Pep Boys will not (by decree and law) patch the shoulder of any tire. The person who did this for you will be fired if he's found out.

People like that give the automotive profession the black eye that it has.

Now, I have NO idea where your friend came up with the idea that you could get four new tires for free. Best case scenario IF YOU HAD PURCHASED THE TIRE FROM PEP BOYS is you might have been able to get a free replacement for the tire IF YOU PURCHASED THE ROAD HAZARD agreement. Without that, it's pretty much up to the discretion of the service manager.

However, keep in mind that any road hazard agreement also ties to the mileage warranty and pro-rated adjustment of the tire still kicks in so likely you would have gotten a NEAR-free tire if the incident happened the same day or close to the date of purchase.

But this is all moot discussion because you didn't buy the tires at Pep Boys so they owe you NOTHING and about the only recourse you have with them is getting the guy who patched it fired.

You need to take it back to where you got the tires and see if there's anything they can do for you. If you didn't purchase road hazard, sounds like you're SOL.

I dunno, there's things in life I'll cut corners on but tires and brakes (and anything on my cars pretty much) are non-negotiable. You go with an outfit you trust and you don't cheap out.

Quick Reply: Tire blowout after patching