Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z becoming the new 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 09:05 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default 350z becoming the new 240sx

Like the title says, does anyone feel the same way?

With our cars age, used Z's have become more affordable to the younger crowd where they will have a greater chance of being abused and tastelessly modified. Unlike the 240sx, our cars came with more power than a 19 year old fast food worker can handle... It's obvious why that can be a problem.

Not sure if anyone noticed this too, but recently there seems to be a heightened influx of noobs to this site I never understood why they take the time to make an account and start a new thread when it will generally take less time and effort to google their question and most likely find a thread (here) that answers everything they need.

Ahh, anyways. I foresee Z owners progressively getting a worse reputation as irresponsible and dangerous drivers and would really like to not see that happen.
Old 12-18-2014, 09:36 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by venture210

With our cars age, used Z's have become more affordable to the younger crowd where they will have a greater chance of being abused and tastelessly modified. Unlike the 240sx, our cars came with more power than a 19 year old fast food worker can handle... It's obvious why that can be a problem.

Not sure if anyone noticed this too, but recently there seems to be a heightened influx of noobs to this site I never understood why they take the time to make an account and start a new thread when it will generally take less time and effort to google their question and most likely find a thread (here) that answers everything they need.

Ahh, anyways. I foresee Z owners progressively getting a worse reputation as irresponsible and dangerous drivers and would really like to not see that happen.

As a n00b to the site and the Z33 chassis, I still empathize with where you're coming from.

Fortunately, if you look back on the Z31 and Z32, they never really struggled with the same pitfalls as the deliberately abused 240's. Perhaps being a more complex and ultimately more expensive and time consuming chassis to maintain and modify will act as a deterrent to the young hopefuls.

I've spent several years being responsible and working my *** off to establish and maintain good employment and credit worthiness. So let this be an inkling of hope that not all new (young) owners are going to run out and turn their Z's into haphazardly pieced together drift *****.

I'm confident the real enthusiasts; young or old, will continue to appreciate the car for what it is.

As far as what everyone else thinks? Well........
The following users liked this post:
PP08HR (08-05-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:45 AM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking about this the other day too.

With the price of the Z so low these days it's inevetable that those in a lower income bracket, or young people will find the Z a really attractive bargin. Not to say all young ppl are cheap or irresponsible but a few of the new threads on this forum have come lately (ie. Wrecked my Z, what's faster than a Z, or how to mod my Z for under $100).

I foresee these people Mod it but with replica or tasteless parts...get bored of it or wreck it by not respecting the car, or not be able to afford the maintenance and upkeep with a 10+ year old car. I'm not worried though. My personal car is my pride and joy and I consider myself a tinkerer and enthusiast (as I imagine most ppl on this forum are).

I'll just mod mine to the best of my ability. Keep driving and tending to my car for maintenance issues. Sell parts to those that run their Z over a curb or into a wall. (It's How I've been getting rid of my OEM parts lately - all buyers were teenagers or in their early 20's btw). Weather the storm, keep having fun and it'll pass. I know my car isn't worth much anymore but it's what I love to do.

Last edited by clubhopper; 12-19-2014 at 03:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:12 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by clubhopper
I was thinking about this the other day too.

With the price of the Z so low these days it's inevetable that those in a lower income bracket, or young people will find the Z a really attractive bargin. Not to say all young ppl are cheap or irresponsible but a few of the new threads on this forum have come lately (ie. Wrecked my Z, what's faster than a Z, or how to mod my Z for under $100).

I foresee these people Mod it but with replica or tasteless parts...get bored of it or wreck it by not respecting the car, or not be able to afford the maintenance and upkeep with a 10+ year old car. I'm not worried though. My personal car is my pride and joy and I consider myself a tinkerer and enthusiast (as I imagine most ppl on this forum are).

I'll just mod mine to the best of my ability. Keep driving and tending to my car for maintenance issues. Sell parts to those that run their Z over a curb or into a wall. (It's How I've been getting rid of my OEM parts lately - all buyers were teenagers or in their early 20's btw). Weather the storm, keep having fun and it'll pass. I know my car isn't worth much anymore but it's what I love to do.
I think this is the key to it. Just consider having your tastefully modded Z next to one of those trashed one that punks own. It will just make your car look that much better. This is coming from a 19 year old btw. (But on a side note anybody know if I can boost my car for $300?)
Old 12-19-2014, 06:43 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

As the owner of a pre-order track model, I've seen this site go through many iterations. We were all so excited to see Nissan release a state-of-the-art Z car that any sightings were treated with the excitement of examining a UFO up close. After Z33s were delivered, the conversation turned towards what could be done to improve on what was already a very well-developed chassis and engine. The excitement for the first five years was amazing!

There's really a wealth of information on this site due to contributions from the 350Z community over the years. Unfortunately, much of it gets lost as nobody wants to take the time to do much of a search any longer. So, we end up dispensing band aid advise in many of the threads that pop up nowadays. But the Z really was designed for the young, or the young-at-heart, so perhaps this is just a natural cycle within the car industry.
gringott (09-17-2016)
Old 12-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't see it that way. Whenever I do see a Z. It's mostly bone stock and a older driver. Really don't see too many teens driving in a Z. I think Z is in the past now, which is a good thing. I see a lot of younger guys getting into the genesis, civic si, wrx, evo, Mustangs, BRZ, Z seems to draw the adult crowd. Maybe it's boring to the young guys. I'm 34, so when I say old that means in the 30s. I've met a few Z owners, and they just are in the late 20s and not into the whole rice scene. Rice meaning fake,cheap knock off parts, stickers and loud, lol.
As u get older, u start to realize, quality parts will look better and last longer. I like my cars to have some sound, but not listen to my fart can loud.

Last edited by Golden_Armz; 12-19-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 09:12 AM
350Z Project X

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by n0smoke
As a n00b to the site and the Z33 chassis, I still empathize with where you're coming from.

Fortunately, if you look back on the Z31 and Z32, they never really struggled with the same pitfalls as the deliberately abused 240's. Perhaps being a more complex and ultimately more expensive and time consuming chassis to maintain and modify will act as a deterrent to the young hopefuls.

I've spent several years being responsible and working my *** off to establish and maintain good employment and credit worthiness. So let this be an inkling of hope that not all new (young) owners are going to run out and turn their Z's into haphazardly pieced together drift *****.

I'm confident the real enthusiasts; young or old, will continue to appreciate the car for what it is.

As far as what everyone else thinks? Well........
Only problem is companies like godspeed, megan, and Ebay China continue to make cheap parts and these kids don't care about quality and think its all the same. I generally buy all SPL for my suspension. Drift monster only gets the best
Old 12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
the_baitzboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been saying the same sentiment since 2011. The 370z never took off the way it could have, the styling missed its mark and the lack of power from the Z33 to the Z34 wasnt sufficient enough to me. The 240 is definitely an aging frame that has solidified its place in drifting history as being the most widely used and widely recognized vehicle to used for a track purposes. But sadly we, as Z33 owners, are quickly approaching new low levels in interest and ownership. A 2003 350z with a salvage title is about $4000-$6000. Imagine all the individuals that have been in the fwd game (Hondas, Acuras, Eclipse, SRT4, etc) that can now have an affordable entry level rwd "performance" vehicle. The value of the vehicle is reflecting its age and the level of maturity of new owners tends to only disappoint. That being said, the 350z remains a great looking vehicle despite the fact its almost 12 years old.

My prediction, we will be seeing a lot more Z bodies, probably more than double than todays Zs out there, on drift circuits in the next 3 years. No wonder a number of my friends have jumped to the Vette circle lol
Old 12-19-2014, 09:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Originally Posted by the_baitzboy
I've been saying the same sentiment since 2011. The 370z never took off the way it could have, the styling missed its mark and the lack of power from the Z33 to the Z34 wasnt sufficient enough to me. The 240 is definitely an aging frame that has solidified its place in drifting history as being the most widely used and widely recognized vehicle to used for a track purposes. But sadly we, as Z33 owners, are quickly approaching new low levels in interest and ownership. A 2003 350z with a salvage title is about $4000-$6000. Imagine all the individuals that have been in the fwd game (Hondas, Acuras, Eclipse, SRT4, etc) that can now have an affordable entry level rwd "performance" vehicle. The value of the vehicle is reflecting its age and the level of maturity of new owners tends to only disappoint. That being said, the 350z remains a great looking vehicle despite the fact its almost 12 years old.

My prediction, we will be seeing a lot more Z bodies, probably more than double than todays Zs out there, on drift circuits in the next 3 years. No wonder a number of my friends have jumped to the Vette circle lol
i am doing the same thing
Old 12-19-2014, 12:35 PM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

It goes both ways where I am, there are quite a few teenagers in very tasteless modified high mileage '03-'04 z33's but then there are also original owners like me who have owned their car for 10+ years and either haven't modified them or have used tasteful high quality mods.
I still get the same excitement out of my z as when I bought it and I still get as excited when I see one on the road as I did when they were first released, I just got back from a weeklong vacation in the mountains, my GF wouldn't let us take the z because she claims it's uncomfortable, it was great waking up this morning and taking it for a drive, it never gets old to me.

Last edited by bith8791; 12-19-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I may be missing your point, but I believe it is wise welcoming “new blood” (i.e., young people). This principle applies to products (cars for example) and activities (recreational sports, hobbies, etc.).

An example of loss is golf. We forgot to include kids a few years ago, and the sport suffered. And, not that long ago; skiing became too expensive for young people and families, and we foolishly banned snowboarding (which was a young person’s preference on the slopes).

The Datsun 240z was very different from its competitors when Nissan introduced the car in 45 years ago. Affordable sport cars came from the UK, but they were junk with extensive plumbing to satisfy pollution levels demanded in California. Italian sport cars were expensive and challenged mechanics who strived to keep them running. The 911 Porsche from Germany was expensive and almost impossible to keep “tuned.” Mercedes was an old man’s car. The 240z was affordable and reliable… just a better car, and it was a sports car.

I think it is great having a car like the 350z that young people can afford to own. Of course youngsters drive more aggressively. We have seen this with the high rate of crashes with 350z cars.

The solution is education, and my350z.com is a great place where young drivers can learn the about the hazards of aggressive driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by Spike100:
PP08HR (08-05-2015), zakmartin (08-14-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:01 PM
darkgt

I'm an older newb to the car, but I live in a (privileged) college town and I feel like they are jumping over this car, to newer rides sti brz genesis 5.0. I mean a few people are picking them up but its still a certain personality type that goes for the 350.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:12 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

I've felt this way since 09, it's inevitable. The buy in for this car used to be 30k, now it's 5k. That completely shifts the demographics of owners.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:36 PM
str333tprintz

Originally Posted by travlee
i am doing the same thing
Its funny you should say that I am also looking into doing the same, but have always had a love for corvettes.

To the OP I believe that you may be right but there is something that you are missing. I would know I came from a swapped sr20 240sx myself. The 240sx is a very under-powered, forgiving car compared to the 350z unless swapped of course. The z on the other hand will bite you if not respected, i.e. all of the "ooops crashed it" threads. But i believe that is what will weed out a lot of the immature owners.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:01 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont be smug. I understand tasteless mods. But the most tastelsess mods 'ive' seen come from midlife crisis dudes. If u have bad taste u have bad taste, no matter the price of the car. I think its a compliment to the z that people still love this car enough to have big visions for it, unlike a focus st in 4 years, so i say bring on the new blood. Ive seen almost everything else.

Also without new fads/ looks the mod game will die. I thought 20" wheels on trucks looked terribe on trucks a few years ago. Now with the right offsets big lifts and 33"+ tires on em. I love it.

Last edited by J 0 K 3 R; 12-19-2014 at 08:05 PM.
PP08HR (08-05-2015)
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
My07350z

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can agree with what people earlier in the thread said. I am one of these younger drivers being 16 and this site is kinda what i need. There is no other place that i can reliably come to and get good information despite some of the trolls. Most of the kids in my high school would rather stay away from the Z and lean towards tiburons, celicas, and mustangs. Just my view from the inside looking out of this situation.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:21 PM
allboutcali

Just like anything in life it comes and goes. The fact that a 12 year old car can now be afforded by a "younger" crowd shouldn't effect how perceive a group of people or even a car. Yes this car changed the game when it came out but that has came and gone and now it's just another car out there who cares who is driving it. What should matter is the joy it brings to you and the people you have met in real life and on this forum that you have connected with over your car. Just like anything in life there are a group of idiots in any circle that give that particular item group or thing a bad reputation. I'm tired of people starting these threads, who really cares. I turned 25 today and bought this car a year ago. I could've bought anything under 30k but chose this car for a reason. I'm young and own a 8 year old car but I didn't buy this car because it was all my pockets could afford and I needed an entry level sports car. I bought this car because in 2004 my uncle bought a track 350z and since then I've been in love with this car at the end of the day a car is a car and there are good people and idiots out there that give things a bad reputation if it's something you don't want to be a part of maybe switch cars just my .02
Old 12-19-2014, 08:24 PM
allboutcali

Originally Posted by Spike100
I may be missing your point, but I believe it is wise welcoming “new blood” (i.e., young people). This principle applies to products (cars for example) and activities (recreational sports, hobbies, etc.).

An example of loss is golf. We forgot to include kids a few years ago, and the sport suffered. And, not that long ago; skiing became too expensive for young people and families, and we foolishly banned snowboarding (which was a young person’s preference on the slopes).

The Datsun 240z was very different from its competitors when Nissan introduced the car in 45 years ago. Affordable sport cars came from the UK, but they were junk with extensive plumbing to satisfy pollution levels demanded in California. Italian sport cars were expensive and challenged mechanics who strived to keep them running. The 911 Porsche from Germany was expensive and almost impossible to keep “tuned.” Mercedes was an old man’s car. The 240z was affordable and reliable… just a better car, and it was a sports car.

I think it is great having a car like the 350z that young people can afford to own. Of course youngsters drive more aggressively. We have seen this with the high rate of crashes with 350z cars.

The solution is education, and my350z.com is a great place where young drivers can learn the about the hazards of aggressive driving.
Amen
Old 12-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes
Old 12-20-2014, 02:46 AM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I started out with a 77 280Z and fell in love with the car it was a passion to own a car with a personality it spoke to me made me feel like I was owning a original car.I had never really set out to buy this car but I did.It passed away by no ones fault but my own I was devastated and vowed if I ever had the chance to own another I would cherish it forever more, today I own a beautiful 2006 Lemans 350Z and the love affair is like no other so over time I've learned to respect and just enjoy the passion of owning a car with a badass history! Not many cars and owners has been and seen some of the things a Z and it's owners have so just Love it and have fun isn't it really what it's all about anyway!!!

Quick Reply: 350z becoming the new 240sx