Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice on building my new Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 05:15 PM
Track Days

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on building my new Z

Hello guys! I am new here. I just purchased a 2003 performance in black.
So let me tell you my intentions. I love nismo and plan to use only nismo s tune parts in building my Z. I do not want to do anything exterior at all besides blacking out all windows, black emblems, and black rims. Basically all black. Interior wise, I have only thought to get the nismo s tune shift ****, head unit, and I can't think of anything else. Mechanically, I have thought to get the nismo s tune catback I want for sure. I know I have to buy them used since they were discontinued. I know for sure I'm getting the nismo s tune cai, probably used as well. Suspension wise, not sure if the nismo s tune suspension would be worth the money. Any other genuine s tune prts worth the money? Please give opinions! I have about a 2500 budget. Also what rims would look best on a blacked out 03. Only decals I'm going to put would be a nismo sticker in quarter window, and also plan to debadged the "350z" emblem. Not sure if nismo rims are worth it either. Opinions welcome! Thanks!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Track Days

Also, if nismo rims aren't worth it, which black rims would look best? And red trim is okay, maybe on some nismo seats? Thanks!
Old 03-13-2015, 05:30 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

If I were you and I had all this energy for nismo than go get a true nismo car. If you want to modify a car for the sake of modifying and/or having a project there are better and less expensive exhaust/suspension/intake parts that will yield better results...but nothing that's gonna surprise anyone...dont expect more than a 10whp gain with a full exhuast/intake swap.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:35 PM
Track Days

Bealljk, I see what your saying. I decided not to buy a nismo for a couple reason.
The cheapest nismo available I found was about 17k with a ton of miles. I paid 6k for my 03 with 120k miles on it. Also I don't like the body of the nismo, I like the stock look of the 350, which is why I'm only blacking it out. Not even putting a front lip on it.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:14 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Track Days
Also, if nismo rims aren't worth it, which black rims would look best? And red trim is okay, maybe on some nismo seats? Thanks!
Get what wheels you want. Wheels are such a personal preference, everyone is going to have their own opinion. It's going to be cheaper to buy aftermarket wheels.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:19 PM
Track Days

Originally Posted by rearranged
Get what wheels you want. Wheels are such a personal preference, everyone is going to have their own opinion. It's going to be cheaper to buy aftermarket wheels.
I have a guy wanting 2k for nismo catback and a set of nismo rims with ok tires. That's a good or bad deal?
Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,069 Likes on 757 Posts

It may be tough getting a lot of genuine nismo parts on that budget, but you'll be able (and forced) to get a lot of them used.

For wheels, check out this thread for some ideas: https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...on-thread.html

Sure - some on here will disapprove, but a good way to black out your Z wheels with limited funds.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:41 PM
Track Days

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
It may be tough getting a lot of genuine nismo parts on that budget, but you'll be able (and forced) to get a lot of them used.

For wheels, check out this thread for some ideas: https://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-...on-thread.htmlthanks

Thanks for the reply and the link! Some good ideas in there. And I'm thinking about stuffing the nismo idea. What are some other good exhaust / cai intake combos? Something I didn't like with the nismo theme was the lack of a hfc or nismo test pipe. Do aftermarket y pipes and headers actually change exhaust tone at all?

Sure - some on here will disapprove, but a good way to black out your Z wheels with limited funds.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2015, 07:43 PM
Track Days

Thanks for the reply and the link! Some good ideas in there. And I'm thinking about stuffing the nismo idea. What are some other good exhaust / cai intake combos? Something I didn't like with the nismo theme was the lack of a hfc or nismo test pipe. Do aftermarket y pipes and headers actually change exhaust tone at all?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,263 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Hello guys! I am new here. I just purchased a 2003 performance in black.
So let me tell you my intentions. I love nismo and plan to use only nismo s tune parts in building my Z. I do not want to do anything exterior at all besides blacking out all windows, black emblems, and black rims. Basically all black. Interior wise, I have only thought to get the nismo s tune shift ****, head unit, and I can't think of anything else. Mechanically, I have thought to get the nismo s tune catback I want for sure. I know I have to buy them used since they were discontinued. I know for sure I'm getting the nismo s tune cai, probably used as well. Suspension wise, not sure if the nismo s tune suspension would be worth the money. Any other genuine s tune prts worth the money? Please give opinions! I have about a 2500 budget. Also what rims would look best on a blacked out 03. Only decals I'm going to put would be a nismo sticker in quarter window, and also plan to debadged the "350z" emblem. Not sure if nismo rims are worth it either. Opinions welcome! Thanks!
Regarding suspension, read this.

$2500 budget? If I were doing a Z on that budget, here's how it'd go:

1. Tires (and the lightest wheels you can find within your budget) - if you can't afford wheels, put good tires on stock wheels. Let's assume in this case, a decent set of tires and wheels will run you $1200 minimum. (Look at the wheel classifieds here to try and cut some costs)

2. Sway bars - best ~$300 you'll spend on the suspension.

3. Shocks - on that budget, and assuming you bought the above and you want some $$ left over for other stuff, you won't have enough for Bilstein or Koni so go with some Tokico HPs or D-Spec.

And that about does it for that budget. Good luck.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-13-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:03 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,069 Likes on 757 Posts

What are some other good exhaust / cai intake combos?
This thread has no shortage of opinions for that question:
https://my350z.com/forum/intake-exha...aders-etc.html

Do aftermarket y pipes and headers actually change exhaust tone at all?
It depends on your other components, but the short answer is yes.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:30 AM
FairladyBlue

i thnk its time for me to trade in the z....
thinking about a c6 in black

Last edited by FairladyBlue; 03-14-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:02 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I'm thinking about stuffing the nismo idea. What are some other good exhaust / cai intake combos?
I would find a brand that you like - for me it was Stillen. I like stillen because of the nature of the company...former multi-event race car driver starts his own company, makes stuff in the USA, has a phone number where you can call and reach someone that speaks perfect english, prices are a little high but understandable and decent quality. My car's original owner put a stillen exhaust on and I added stillen test pipes and stillen headers(back in the supercharger days) and I put a few other stillen goodies on.

Find a company that you'd be proud to support ... I would find exhaust tone threads and find an exhaust tone that you like. It's not gonna be perfect through the microphone of cell phone nor the speakers of a computer but it'll give you an idea of what youre up against.

Look into an exhaust and high-flow cats/test pipes...you can do headers but dont expect much gain and it is a huge pain in the ssa to install.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:02 AM
Track Days

Originally Posted by bealljk
I would find a brand that you like - for me it was Stillen. I like stillen because of the nature of the company...former multi-event race car driver starts his own company, makes stuff in the USA, has a phone number where you can call and reach someone that speaks perfect english, prices are a little high but understandable and decent quality. My car's original owner put a stillen exhaust on and I added stillen test pipes and stillen headers(back in the supercharger days) and I put a few other stillen goodies on.

Find a company that you'd be proud to support ... I would find exhaust tone threads and find an exhaust tone that you like. It's not gonna be perfect through the microphone of cell phone nor the speakers of a computer but it'll give you an idea of what youre up against.

Look into an exhaust and high-flow cats/test pipes...you can do headers but dont expect much gain and it is a huge pain in the ssa to install.
Thanks for the reply. That's more what I'm going for now, a company that has all parts I would want to buy. I don't want a bunch of Mis matched parts from different companies. How do you like stillen? How is the exhaust note? What about a stillen cold air intake? Some companies I liked, like Megan a Megan makeover, didn't have intake or whatever. Stillen I am very interested in now. Only question is how is their intake? Also I like their wing. Is it pricy to have a stillen wing put on and painted? Do they have rims? Thanks
Old 03-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Track Days

Also where did you buy your stillen parts?
Old 03-14-2015, 01:13 PM
Toneloc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your not building... That's bolting on... Cold air intake is a waste and dangerous if you live in areas with sitting water... They add no horsepower if anything you lose... Get z1 hFCs, z1 spacer, catback, and tune that's is all that is worth modding for power....I can tell by your post your interested in brand names instead of proven functionality with reasonable cost... Or better yet pay the car off first if not already... Better yet use the search function and read...
Old 03-14-2015, 01:28 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

^Cant disagree with Tone's points...Stillen is an example - mine came with the exaust and I like it ... there are exhaust-note threads that you should research and listen to to determine what you like. Also, meet up with other z guys in your area and get a feel for what they have/like.

Def look into Z1, they make great stuff. Overall, don't expect huge gains from bolt-on mods...bigger gains will be from turbo/supercharger but that's a whole 'nother animal. Walk before you run -

Tone - Its my opinion that stillen is a great name and has proven functionability ... and yeah, they are expensive.
Old 03-14-2015, 01:53 PM
dykel3fiddyz

Black emblems

Don't murder it out, played out!
Old 03-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Sunset350ZR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I started which was forever ago I liked and wanted Nismo too . At some point though i started to like a lot about a lot of different parts, brands and frankly the look of various people idea. Of course there is also the money. I like you wanted to keep the basic personality of the car the same so nothing drastic. If you shop and are patient you can make your car what you want. I as everyone has their own opinion about what looks or is good. So eventually all replys by us to you about our opinions is going to eventually be, "do what you want". Try to research first. Its a much cheaper journey, if you do not have to repeat purchases for the same class of mod.

Have a good time and good luck on modding your Z
Old 03-14-2015, 04:32 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,060 Likes on 6,523 Posts

sounds like you should have just bought a nismo if you wanted all the parts, but i am going to say that would be out of your 8k budget to buy a car

Quick Reply: Need Advice on building my new Z