Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Axis 350Z wins the competition

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 07:43 AM
TriX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Axis 350Z wins the competition

I just read the Sport Compact Car (Feb issue) it has the Axis Z on the cover. I didn't read the entire article. But it looked like the 350z smoked all the other cars (mr2, supra tt, skyline, viper etc) across the board. Congrats.

I belive the owner is James Chen? I remember him submitting a f360 modena the year before.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:08 AM
350zSpeedRacer

Not across the board, but Chen's Z was a very good all around performer. Read the article, it's definitely worth it.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Zesus H. Christ

Default Re: Axis 350Z wins the competition

Originally posted by TriX

I belive the owner is James Chen? I remember him submitting a f360 modena the year before.
He submitted a blown MR2 the year before. The 360 was the year before that. Dude has lots of money.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:33 AM
elektrik_juggernaut

i read the article.........i was a liitle disappointed in the tests........it had the least amount of horsepower(341.2) and ran a 14.23 in the quarter mile........SCC said there was "desert dust" all over the 1320 that made good times difficult.........all those technical gurus combined couldn't think of getting a garden hose to spray it off?.........ravaz is running a 12.7 on this forum, but SCC got the time of a stock car with VDC "on"

i think they shorted James's car......it should be capable of way better times
Old 02-09-2004, 09:43 AM
JAG

Default Re: Re: Axis 350Z wins the competition

Originally posted by Zesus H. Christ
He submitted a blown MR2 the year before. The 360 was the year before that. Dude has lots of money.
James is the owner of Axis wheels, after all
Old 02-09-2004, 10:15 AM
TriX

Sorry I meant to say that overall it was the best performer. But there were still somethings it could have done better. IE 1/4 time which I was disappointed with.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:54 PM
PropaGanda

Come on guys, be honest. Yall didn't think that the 350Z was the "honorary" winner of this contest. That Z is a great car in its own right but not up against the cars in the USCC. The Z did decently on all of the non-performance aspects of the test. It did poorly on all of the performance aspects. The only reason it won was because the other cars broke things or did poorly in the non-performance aspects of the test. Yall can really say that the Z is the ultimate street car when it didn't win a single performance related event? We all know that people who consider a car an "ultimate street car" aren't looking at its gas mileage and comfort level. I was very dissapointed with its performance in the competition. I feel this is akin to the time he brought in the stock Ferrari 360 and won the competition. Who in here thinks that every stock 360 modena on the streets is the ultimate street car? SSC needs to do something to give more credibility to this contest.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:07 PM
TriX

Originally posted by PropaGanda
Come on guys, be honest. Yall didn't think that the 350Z was the "honorary" winner of this contest. That Z is a great car in its own right but not up against the cars in the USCC. The Z did decently on all of the non-performance aspects of the test. It did poorly on all of the performance aspects. The only reason it won was because the other cars broke things or did poorly in the non-performance aspects of the test. Yall can really say that the Z is the ultimate street car when it didn't win a single performance related event? We all know that people who consider a car an "ultimate street car" aren't looking at its gas mileage and comfort level. I was very dissapointed with its performance in the competition. I feel this is akin to the time he brought in the stock Ferrari 360 and won the competition. Who in here thinks that every stock 360 modena on the streets is the ultimate street car? SSC needs to do something to give more credibility to this contest.
didn't it win their drifting contest thingy?
Old 02-09-2004, 04:14 PM
PropaGanda

The burnout competition? I will have to go check. Even if it did I said it didn't win any performance competitions. Burning out isn't what I had in mind when I stated that.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:24 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

it won the emissions test.......and the "grandma" test went pretty well too
Old 02-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Mikestro

I bought the magazine, read the article and then let my German Shepherd chew it up. The beef jerky and mountain dew that I bought at the 7-11 were $4 better spent than that magazine.

Hey EJ, I like your avatar. Moses does kick ***.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:48 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Thanks Mike
Old 02-10-2004, 09:17 AM
kaikara

Actually it said specifially in the article that all the 1/4 times for all the cars sucked. That they could all be doing at least 1 second faster on a better track. As for chens 350z it said that he didn't even launch it hard perfering to save the car for the other tests. He called it a tactic because he knew that it would not even come close to the other cars. He knew he was going to probably be last or close to it so why beat on the car - makes sense to me.

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
i read the article.........i was a liitle disappointed in the tests........it had the least amount of horsepower(341.2) and ran a 14.23 in the quarter mile........SCC said there was "desert dust" all over the 1320 that made good times difficult.........all those technical gurus combined couldn't think of getting a garden hose to spray it off?.........ravaz is running a 12.7 on this forum, but SCC got the time of a stock car with VDC "on"

i think they shorted James's car......it should be capable of way better times
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 AM
kaikara

It came first in the 60-0 braking (103.9ft), Emissions, and car show. Second in Grandma test, Gross display of Horsepower, and road course (the eclipse beat it by less then a second)

Originally posted by elektrik_juggernaut
it won the emissions test.......and the "grandma" test went pretty well too

Last edited by kaikara; 02-10-2004 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:32 AM
kaikara

I don't think it did poorly on the performance related tests. The point of the test were not to pick the best in 1/4 mile or the best road course runner- but to pick the best all around street car and thats exactly what chens 350z was. It didn't blow up, it did all things reasonably well and some things very well or the best. Yes the skyline would have won the thing if it hadn't blown up but it did. But you can't really be the best all around street machine if you blow up all the time can you?

it did win some performance related tests - 60-0 braking and second in the road course. 1/4 mile it said he didn't even try. but he didn't need to and he still won.

Last edited by kaikara; 02-10-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 01:49 PM
PropaGanda

Originally posted by kaikara
I don't think it did poorly on the performance related tests. The point of the test were not to pick the best in 1/4 mile or the best road course runner- but to pick the best all around street car and thats exactly what chens 350z was. It didn't blow up, it did all things reasonably well and some things very well or the best. Yes the skyline would have won the thing if it hadn't blown up but it did. But you can't really be the best all around street machine if you blow up all the time can you?

it did win some performance related tests - 60-0 braking and second in the road course. 1/4 mile it said he didn't even try. but he didn't need to and he still won.

Whatever man. If you think a 350 rwhp 350Z with tons of audio and video equipment and 19 inch wheels is the ultimate of all street cars then you are entitled to your opinion. Like I said, I like the car (except for the yellow paint.) Hell, I drive a 350Z so I was a little giddy when I saw the yellow Z on the cover. I just wish 350Zs could have been represented in a better light instead of being allowed to coast through a competition and being crowned "Ultimate Street Car" when it is clear that it is not.
Old 02-10-2004, 02:07 PM
kaikara

Actually i never said that it was the ultimate street car of all street cars that ever existed. But in the context of the tests and the way they laid them out the 350z came out on top against those 10 cars. And like i said the skyline would have won had its engine not blown up on the road course. But that is the nature of the tests.

I think the road course numbers were the most telling. A 350 RWHP 350Z was out of first spot by 3/4 of a second. The 850 HP viper was 8-10 seconds behind it. But in a 1/4 mile contest the Viper would have smoked it.

If you read the previous issue where they did an article on each of the 10 cars Chen was basically quoted as saying he wanted to prove you could have a well rounded car that could win and run with the big boys for very little money compared to some of the other competition. he got flak for entering his stock modena 2 years back.

as for being represented in a poor light what does that mean? i think it was a very good thing for 350z's to show what potential the car has.

Whatever man. If you think a 350 rwhp 350Z with tons of audio and video equipment and 19 inch wheels is the ultimate of all street cars then you are entitled to your opinion. Like I said, I like the car (except for the yellow paint.) Hell, I drive a 350Z so I was a little giddy when I saw the yellow Z on the cover. I just wish 350Zs could have been represented in a better light instead of being allowed to coast through a competition and being crowned "Ultimate Street Car" when it is clear that it is not.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:39 PM
350zdanny

I definitely think you're talking out your *** a little bit on this one. You're basically claiming that the 350z is not the winner of an objective block of testing structured and administered my an automotive publication, when in fact, it is. The "Ultimate Street Car" is wholly defined by SCC. How can you say that the Z is not deserving? In this case, you're not entitled to your opinion, at all. It was an objective test and the Z passed, and in the process, scored the highest.

The Z won because it was built to win based on the objective criteria set forth by the editors of Sport Compact Car. What is in dispute? It could perform, it was driven well, it looked good, the exhaust wouldn't choke you to death, and it didn't blow it's top when pushed to the limit. That is the car SCC was looking for.

Dan
Old 02-10-2004, 08:01 PM
PropaGanda

Originally posted by 350zdanny
I definitely think you're talking out your *** a little bit on this one. You're basically claiming that the 350z is not the winner of an objective block of testing structured and administered my an automotive publication, when in fact, it is. The "Ultimate Street Car" is wholly defined by SCC. How can you say that the Z is not deserving? In this case, you're not entitled to your opinion, at all. It was an objective test and the Z passed, and in the process, scored the highest.

The Z won because it was built to win based on the objective criteria set forth by the editors of Sport Compact Car. What is in dispute? It could perform, it was driven well, it looked good, the exhaust wouldn't choke you to death, and it didn't blow it's top when pushed to the limit. That is the car SCC was looking for.

Dan
The dispute is the title of "ultimate street car." An ultimate street car is NOT defined by SCC. We all know what it takes to make a car the ultimate machine on public roads. SCC did, however, define the parameters of the contest. Within those parameters the Z ended up besting the competition. So did a stock 360 Modena. Dandy. However, I do not feel that the title of "Ultimate Street Car" should be given to either one of these machines. Like I said, if you agree with the magazine and think that this Z or a stock Ferrari are the ultimate street cars, then have fun with that. I was very happy to see the Z on the cover with the proclamation of "winner". However, I was very dissapointed with the manner in which the Z won and how it was equipped to compete in the competition. I am all about taking up for the Z, but not in this situation. My main argument is that the magazine needs to refine this competition because it is becoming a joke.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:44 AM
kaikara

you are really hung up on the title of the test aren't you? of course it is not the ultimate street car of all time in the history of the universe. hahaha. It turned out to be the best car among a series of applicatants and won in tests laid out by sport compact. Regardless in the end each person will have their own opinions on what makes the best street car - is it 1/4 mile time, looks, horsepower, handling, braking?

Sport Compact is trying to take all of those opinions and do a series of tests that show which car is the most balanced in all areas. A car that can go out and looks good, runs fast in a stright line, can take corners, can brake well, has low emissions, is comfortable, etc. For example i could care less how much horsepower something has or what its 1/4 mile time is. I like to see a setup that can run fast on a track. Your opinion might be different from this. doesn't make you right or wrong you just like something different from me.

If you have such a problem with the name of the competition maybe you should write them and ask them to change it to something else. Otherwise just look at the testing and pick out who you think is the winner based on what you think your criteria is for an ultimate street car. But you can't say that the 350z had an easy run. It won because it was the most well balanced car and didn't blow up. I think there is something is to be said for that.

The dispute is the title of "ultimate street car." An ultimate street car is NOT defined by SCC. We all know what it takes to make a car the ultimate machine on public roads. SCC did, however, define the parameters of the contest. Within those parameters the Z ended up besting the competition. So did a stock 360 Modena. Dandy. However, I do not feel that the title of "Ultimate Street Car" should be given to either one of these machines. Like I said, if you agree with the magazine and think that this Z or a stock Ferrari are the ultimate street cars, then have fun with that. I was very happy to see the Z on the cover with the proclamation of "winner". However, I was very dissapointed with the manner in which the Z won and how it was equipped to compete in the competition. I am all about taking up for the Z, but not in this situation. My main argument is that the magazine needs to refine this competition because it is becoming a joke.

Quick Reply: Axis 350Z wins the competition