Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying OEM shift light?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 06:22 PM
dreamspeed

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modifying OEM shift light?

I like the OEM shift light feature but the little LED is not very bright and not really in an ideal position.

Does anyone know how to tap into the wiring to basically piggyback a brighter LED that you can mount somewhere else?

I've seen an aftermarket RPM needle that changes colors based on RPM which looks like it taps into the OEM feature.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:13 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Sorry to say this, but tapping into the harness doesn't sound like a good idea. With all the threads on here of people having major to minor electrical issues, why compromise an intact harness for the sake of a something you don't even need?

After racing the Z33 in SCCA road racing over the past seven years, I have no problem seeing the OEM shift LED and making my upshifts cleanly. Even wearing a helmet with smoked or mirrored visor, there's no problem catching it with your peripheral vision.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

While I'm not racing my Z, I'm with dkmura; people are constantly asking questions about electrical nightmares, I wouldn't mess with a working harness.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:43 PM
n0smoke

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You could send your cluster off to this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterPatchbay

I've been very tempted by the idea. Not for functionality, but because it looks so damn cool

He's all over FB and does the "$99 shift light mod" as seen below:

Old 04-06-2015, 07:39 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

There has been someone who has made a brighter led light off the stock harness, but buying a $15 shift light off ebay(for the RPM switch) and using a custom led is probably much easier
Old 04-06-2015, 07:42 AM
dreamspeed

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry to say this, but tapping into the harness doesn't sound like a good idea. With all the threads on here of people having major to minor electrical issues, why compromise an intact harness for the sake of a something you don't even need?

After racing the Z33 in SCCA road racing over the past seven years, I have no problem seeing the OEM shift LED and making my upshifts cleanly. Even wearing a helmet with smoked or mirrored visor, there's no problem catching it with your peripheral vision.
I'm not expert (obviously) but tapping into the shift light wires doesn't seem like it would affect anything else.

Personally I have issues seeing the OEM shift light sometimes on the track which is why I would like something more visible.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:44 AM
dreamspeed

Originally Posted by n0smoke
You could send your cluster off to this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/user/MisterPatchbay

I've been very tempted by the idea. Not for functionality, but because it looks so damn cool

He's all over FB and does the "$99 shift light mod" as seen below:

350z Stock Gauge Cluster with the $99 Shift-Light LED - YouTube

Yah that's the mod I was referring to in my OP. It's a good option but if it's easy to tap into the OEM wiring it would be a easy and next to free mod, which is why i'm inquiring
Old 04-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

All this dude does is wire a bright white led to the back of the needle, connected to the + / - posts of the stock shift light.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:21 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by dreamspeed
I'm not expert (obviously) but tapping into the shift light wires doesn't seem like it would affect anything else.

Personally I have issues seeing the OEM shift light sometimes on the track which is why I would like something more visible.
Most new Z33 owners don't seem to realize how sophisticated the Nissan electronic system is in our cars. The ECM "looks" for multiple signals from each of the ancillary systems before allowing a start or putting up a CEL. Any break (or tap not properly done) in the wire will be detected, and can lead to everything from a no-start to a CEL that won't go away.

It sure seems like a better idea to spend a couple hundred bucks to have someone modify your gauge pod (like nOsmoke descibes in his link) than to compromise an intact wiring harness. Or, the other cheaper option is to look at ways to better train YOURSELF to use your vision more effectively.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:21 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 399 Likes on 227 Posts

Bobs work is tried and true and working well on coutless vehicles over the course of several years.. i wouldnt go any other way my man.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:24 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I want my 3 D cell mag light aimed at my eyes and set to go off at 7k if I forget to shift.

I'm sure an aftermarket shift light is easy to install, you just need a tach wire to splice into.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:42 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by terrasmak
I want my 3 D cell mag light aimed at my eyes and set to go off at 7k if I forget to shift. I'm sure an aftermarket shift light is easy to install, you just need a tach wire to splice into.
If you forget to upshift at redline. the fuel cutoff shift limiter will cut in shortly after 7K. And if you miss a downshift (say hit first instead of third), a shift light won't help at all, but the resulting rear wheel lockup and blown engine will let you know!
Old 04-07-2015, 05:45 AM
Doodles

Well, one thing i need alot is beeper for this light, like STI has. Because sometimes i need to watch on road, not on my gauge cluster and i miss that moment when i need to shift. With sound signal it would be easier and better. Furthermore, for me, it would be perfect if match oem unfastened seat belt sound with shift light
Old 04-07-2015, 05:47 AM
Syner

You can't drive without a beeper telling you when to shift? Might be time to switch to an automatic, Barbie.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:52 AM
Doodles

Is here any report button?
Old 04-07-2015, 06:03 AM
Syner

lol
Old 04-07-2015, 06:07 AM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Doodles
Is here any report button?
Yea princess. Its the button labled "sign out"
Old 04-07-2015, 01:25 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Doodles
Well, one thing i need alot is beeper for this light, like STI has. Because sometimes i need to watch on road, not on my gauge cluster and i miss that moment when i need to shift. With sound signal it would be easier and better. Furthermore, for me, it would be perfect if match oem unfastened seat belt sound with shift light
Doodles, you should have expected to be flamed on this post. If you need a beep to know when to shift, you're not listening to the tone of your VQ ramping up. Beyond that, everybody should be able to catch the shift light in their peripheral vision. Even when I'm racing wheel-to-wheel at the track, I'll still be aware of the OEM shift light as I'm trying to duel with other cars!

Beyond that, there's no simple way to hook up a beeper to your Z to help you shift. You could take this to a separate thread, rather than piggybacking on this one, but I'd advise against it. You'd need a top fuel race suit to withstand the flames then...
Old 04-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Doodles

Oh my god, whats wrong with all of you?
STI - Barbie car?
Dont say ********, you cant figure exactly 7500 rpm's, not 7200 or 7300, just buy engine sound.
Yes, i also see shift light, and shift as you all, but for maximum perfomance beep sound is better. Why is it so funny?
Old 04-07-2015, 03:01 PM
Toneloc

Www.rice.com has a wire tap for the harness to attach to your 5 inch fog light in your cabin used as the new shift light. Your welcome

Quick Reply: Modifying OEM shift light?