Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Declining expectations for My350Z posts

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:13 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

i told him in the very first post it wouldn't work. then he tried to get snippy with me.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Declining expectations for My350Z posts

Maybe a vote to remove a noob...

Someone nominates a dumb noob to remove, voting lasts a week and every Friday we have noob eviction day.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 PM
travlee
Master

then we would end up in the pwrr area...... i can see it now
Old 09-08-2015, 06:29 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i told him in the very first post it wouldn't work. then he tried to get snippy with me.
Oh, I get that.... I read the whole thing whilst shaking my head.

Part of my frustration, if you will, is that while the Z has it's common maladies, fixes, and general odd behavior, e.g., '03 CD001 tranny gronks, HR-transmission rattles at idle, etc., there's so many situations that are, well, "auto shop 101" and NOT specific to the Z platform.

Don't get me wrong, my expectations ARE NOT that everyone is or should be an ace wrench, that's ridiculous. But moreso that some of the general questions can be answered by da Google or a search of this site (or both by using google to search this site using the "Query-site:my350z.com" syntax)

But that's just the nature of the forum beast. What really gets to me is - and I've said this a thousand times on every type of forum, not just this one - an opinion is fine, just don't let it get in the way of one's objectivity.

And sorry, but that happens here a LOT.

In any event, these are my gripes and no one should care one way or the other about them so I'm going to stop here cuz to go on is pointless.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:59 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

There also seems to be a generalized hatred/fear of getting any help from a Nissan dealership on this site. Some owners look like they've spent thousands of dollars trying to track down complex electronic issues that are better handled by a trained tech with a CONSULT 3 unit. But they'd rather GUESS at the solution and throw parts at it than take it to the dreaded dealership.

Yes, dealerships are businesses that are in it for making a buck. They cost a lot, but usually within the generally accepted shop rates of the area they're located in. In my area, I like to get to know some of the techs, so I know who to take my Z to for service if it's needed. There are also some techs who work outside the dealership and I'm happy to pay for their expertise when needed.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
MicVelo (11-20-2018), Syner (10-15-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 04:03 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

A previous car site I belonged to had a new members forum. It was a good place for noobs to pop in and introduce themselves instead of starting with a noob-tastic question just begging for abuse. There were very useful stickies in the forum where new members could familiarize themselves with expected forum etiquette.

Here's a link: Club 3G - New Members Forum

Also, in the maintenance forum, they make new members read the forum rules sticky before they can post. The stickies were more about forum conduct rules than they were about "How to Repair a Broke/Suck Window Motors." It kept the list of stickies short and basically told new members what the rest of the board expected of them.

Here's a link (worth the read) to the Maintenance Forum Rules from my old haunting ground (for 3G Mitsubishi Eclipses).

Last edited by zakmartin; 09-30-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 05:40 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by zakmartin
A previous car site I belonged to had a new members forum. It was a good place for noobs to pop in and introduce themselves instead of starting with a noob-tastic question just begging for abuse. There were very useful stickies in the forum where new members could familiarize themselves with expected forum etiquette.

Here's a link: Club 3G - New Members Forum

Also, in the maintenance forum, they make new members read the forum rules sticky before they can post. The stickies were more about forum conduct rules than they were about "How to Repair a Broke/Suck Window Motors." It kept the list of stickies short and basically told new members what the rest of the board expected of them.

Here's a link (worth the read) to the Maintenance Forum Rules from my old haunting ground (for 3G Mitsubishi Eclipses).

We also have a new member area and a bunch of stickes with rules, beat to death subjects and many other thing. The issue is the new member wants to be spoonfed, and the OG gets tired of it.

I myself am pretty new here, and i can relate to how the OG feel. After about 5 post of the danger of harness on the streets. I just give it. It gets tiresome.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:57 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Sorry, I should have clarified. I'm thinking that the New Users forum is a bit buried and needs to be a top-level forum (for all users, not separated out by 350Z and 370Z owners). Also, the "how-to post" maintenance sticky needs to be re-located into the maintenance forum (it should be the first post, highlighted as a must-read, etc.)

I suppose in the end, it's just going to be noobs posting whatever/wherever they want to post. And yeah, it does get frustrating when new users claim they searched and couldn't find any answers when you know the exact same issue was discussed three days earlier.

Last edited by zakmartin; 10-01-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 AM
travlee
Master

I got it off Craigslist... I was watching it for a while first he had it for $5700 then $5200 then $4200 I got 8t for $4100... all it needs is a front wheel hub.

this is part of the reason, they are so cheap now days
Old 10-15-2015, 07:23 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Z33Garage
and lets not get started on the FB groups...
Originally Posted by StuLax18
FB groups are the worst.
All good things come to an end... this forum was once my best entertainment site, from researching about mods to lmao at Dugan crashing his car on Thanksgiving day. There are many more legendary threads like Dugan's and I miss the good ol' days.

Unfortunately for me, entertainment wise... FB has overtaken my350z. A lot of ricers giving bad advice over there. Especially my local section in FB... a lot of poorly built cars. My car ain't all that but I know to avoid plastidip and ebay parts.

It doesn't matter how much the 350z diminishes in value... I plan on keeping this car many more years until it's time to let go.
The following 2 users liked this post by stogey420time:
350zchad (10-15-2015), SmoothZ (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 09:19 AM
SmoothZ
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,354 Posts

Originally Posted by stogey420time
All good things come to an end... this forum was once my best entertainment site, from researching about mods to lmao at Dugan crashing his car on Thanksgiving day. There are many more legendary threads like Dugan's and I miss the good ol' days.

Unfortunately for me, entertainment wise... FB has overtaken my350z. A lot of ricers giving bad advice over there. Especially my local section in FB... a lot of poorly built cars. My car ain't all that but I know to avoid plastidip and ebay parts.

It doesn't matter how much the 350z diminishes in value... I plan on keeping this car many more years until it's time to let go.
Your car is amazing. I know it will stay that way for a long time.
The following 2 users liked this post by SmoothZ:
350zchad (10-15-2015), stogey420time (10-15-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 AM
TripleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is precisely the reason, after my 350Z was totaled, I did not replace it with another Z. Like someone stated before, The 350z can be picked up by burger flipper's now. Even in 2013 I started to notice more and more Z owners who had last than tasteful mods, ragged out 350Z's.

Call me stuck up, but I have always had an affinity for having more rare cars, ones that are unique. After pondering a replacement for the Z, I was so tore up because I love the Z community, the true enthusiasts. I felt as though I would betray them almost if I left and went to something else.

After much though and the stars aligning, I ended up with a 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo. The problem with the Supra community is that there are so few, it is hard to have any meets or events. So after I thought about it long and hard I decided I would continue attending Z events because I LOVE the people, the friends I have made. I will just be attending in a Toyota Supra, a car loved by so many. But I absolutely love the fact that I can go cruising all day and the chances of me seven seeing another MKIV Supra on the road is less than 1%. The other nice thing is that hey have retained their value so well, Burger flippers and high-schoolers cannot afford them.

In, summary, it is unfortunate that the 350Z has become what it is, the 370 will be no different, it just takes time. The 300ZX went through the same thing, but with time, all the burger flippers car will end up in a pile of rubble, the enthusiasts car will stick around and on the other side of the tunnel you will be left with only nice 350's that have been well cared for and modified. The period we are at now just happens to be the crappy period, with time all the crappy ones will disappear. Just my two cents.
Old 10-19-2015, 07:58 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

At least it's not this bad yet
Attached Thumbnails Declining expectations for My350Z posts-image.jpg  
Old 10-20-2015, 07:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleD
Call me stuck up, but I have always had an affinity for having more rare cars, ones that are unique. After pondering a replacement for the Z, I was so tore up because I love the Z community, the true enthusiasts. I felt as though I would betray them almost if I left and went to something else.
Not to go to far OT, but every time I go to a SCCA race, my T1/T3 spec 350Z is a one-of-a-kind racecar. There are Porsches, BMWs, Mustangs and Corvettes, but very few Z33s (if any) entered. Nissan used to be a very popular marque in racing- not any longer...

My hometown (Denver, CO) is not crawling with Z33s either. There are more M3s and late model pony cars driving around on the streets and freeways, so it really depends on location and what you consider as a "unique" car.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:45 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleD
This is precisely the reason, after my 350Z was totaled, I did not replace it with another Z. Like someone stated before, The 350z can be picked up by burger flipper's now. Even in 2013 I started to notice more and more Z owners who had last than tasteful mods, ragged out 350Z's.

After much though and the stars aligning, I ended up with a 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo. The problem with the Supra community is that there are so few, it is hard to have any meets or events. So after I thought about it long and hard I decided I would continue attending Z events because I LOVE the people, the friends I have made. I will just be attending in a Toyota Supra, a car loved by so many. But I absolutely love the fact that I can go cruising all day and the chances of me seven seeing another MKIV Supra on the road is less than 1%. The other nice thing is that hey have retained their value so well, Burger flippers and high-schoolers cannot afford them.

In, summary, it is unfortunate that the 350Z has become what it is, the 370 will be no different, it just takes time. The 300ZX went through the same thing, but with time, all the burger flippers car will end up in a pile of rubble, the enthusiasts car will stick around and on the other side of the tunnel you will be left with only nice 350's that have been well cared for and modified. The period we are at now just happens to be the crappy period, with time all the crappy ones will disappear. Just my two cents.
I still think it is a unique car, yes, you see a lot of abused examples nowadays but that just makes my meticulously cared for, completely stock z more rare and it shows, I just won People's Choice 2nd Place at a car show with stiff competition, i.e. Vipers, Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, etc... even a Ford GT.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by bith8791
I still think it is a unique car, yes, you see a lot of abused examples nowadays but that just makes my meticulously cared for, completely stock z more rare and it shows, I just won People's Choice 2nd Place at a car show with stiff competition, i.e. Vipers, Corvettes, Mustangs, Camaros, etc... even a Ford GT.
An off-topic aside: my cousin's neighbor owns a Ford GT. Driving jeeps/trucks/farm equipment all my life, I thought the Z was low, but it's nothing compared to how low the GT sits. I never realized it until I saw one IRL.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:29 AM
bith8791

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Syner
An off-topic aside: my cousin's neighbor owns a Ford GT. Driving jeeps/trucks/farm equipment all my life, I thought the Z was low, but it's nothing compared to how low the GT sits. I never realized it until I saw one IRL.
No kidding, the owner of the one I mentioned is a really cool guy, he let me sit in it and even took me for a spin in it, he even offered to let me drive it, I declined, if I'd have wrecked it, I'd have to take a loan out to repair that thing, they're awesome cars.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 AM
TripleD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bith8791

Totally agree, I went with a very clean simple approach with my Z, you could eat off it at any given time, not a single dent or scratch on it. I clay barred it regularly, it definitely stood out amongst the riced out Z's, because I put quality parts on it. But for me I just couldn't put myself back in one with all the crap ones out there. Don't get me wrong had it not gotten totaled I still would have it to this day and would probably be perfectly happy. As a result of the wreck, I was able to obtain my ultimate dream car, so for that I am thankful. Hence the reason, I will still be associating with Z community. More than likely will be at ZDayz 2016 with my Supra, its a fun event with fun people.

Picture of my 350Z

Picture of Supra, 6MT, Targa, Single Turbo
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (10-28-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:28 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Congrats, your paint pops!

For me, my 06 zr runs and looks almost new. It's all about knowing what and who to associate with and the few to avoid. The culture is still very friendly and welcoming. Some crazy builds (bmccann), show cars ( abarclay and NA&CH) and very nice dailies.

It doesn't really bother me when people post and scream "help". If the post is intelligently written, I'll try to help. If not i filter it and move on.

Last edited by jhc; 10-21-2015 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
35th4me (11-18-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:47 AM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Taking care of your car shows characteristic. I have a lot of car enthusiast friends but most of them dread washing/claying/waxing their car. My car is 8 years old and people ask my how do I keep the paint so clean. I wash once a week and wax once a month doing this religiously. Clay bar is 6 months to 1 year if needed.

Also, driving a lowered car takes talent... I didn't know this until some people actually bottom out at stock height
The following 2 users liked this post by stogey420time:
KingBaby (10-28-2015), SmoothZ (10-22-2015)

Quick Reply: Declining expectations for My350Z posts