Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Why do you love your Z? What makes it the car for you?

Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
Godfoot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do you love your Z? What makes it the car for you?

I was recently asked by a customer of mine, what I thought of my Z and why I liked it above all the other cars I've owned. I thought I would share that with you guys, and ask you all why you Love your Z so much? What is it about these cars that draws such mindless devotion? I dare say we are the most devoted group of car enthusiasts on the planet, us Z owners, why is that? I'd love to hear your thoughts. But first, I'll share mine.

Question: You've had a few cars, what made you choose the Z over some of the other far more exclusive cars.

"I’ve been a Z enthusiast for many years, and have had many. I’ve enjoyed many other cars as well, from R34s to Subaru Wagons and Supras. But after all the cars I've owned, I stuck with the Zs, and I honestly couldn’t tell you why. You have to drive one to understand, and I don't mean just around the block, you have to take it somewhere special to really see its soul. I first felt it in my first 1971 Z, the car I drove across America, it had such vigor and enthusiasm. Even after 30+ years it just wanted to go all the way and gave you no sense of its increasing age. My 1994 Z that I still have, is nothing short of loyal, and has never let me down. I couldn’t tell you truthfully what it is that makes a Z so emotionally powerful to me, but there’s just something so alive and human about them. And I think that maybe that’s just it, because they are all that way. It’s almost as if it’s in their genetics, or in their blood. A little time spent with a Z will reveal to you are willing to believe, the most incredible feeling and emotion, even the most tired Z will give its all to give you that feeling. Whether they roar to life in fury and strength, or wheeze to life in squeaks and smoke, they always give their all. Maybe that Is why I love them, they are the most selfless car I've ever known. And to me, maybe that is what makes them great. But that’s just my opinion."

I didn't mention it to the person that asked but i will also say that you will never find a community that will go to the depths of hell to help each other keep their cars alive like the Z community.

So tell me guys, what is it about these cars that we like so much? or is it just to hard to put a finger on precisely?

Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 AM
bb17

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the biggest thing is the cost/benefit ratio along with the aftermarket support. For about $20k you can you a used Nismo in good condition and that is a car that will outperform most anything else you can get for that price, and you also get a rare car that draws a lot of positive attention. The aftermarket support means that support parts are plentiful and you can customize it just the way you like it without paying a fortune. The car is generally pretty reliable and can also accommodate upgrades easily (i.e. 305 rear tires on stock Nismo Rays wheels!).
Old 07-06-2015, 11:34 AM
Phenom
Toasty

Received 1,382 Likes on 990 Posts

It's a good balance of everything. It has decent power, it handles well, it's rear wheel drive, it looks pretty good after some nice wheels and lowered a bit, and it isn't a fish out of water on a road course or at an auto cross event. And in my personal experience, it has been extremely reliable. My only gripe is the fact that the resale is so terrible that it's reputation is being ruined by kids picking them up cheap and plastidipping everything.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:03 PM
Godfoot

These are both great points!! with what you spend vs what you get. It's hard to beat the Z! It is a very well rounded and extremely attractive sports car across all the generations. I completely agree with the rarity factor that comes with the NISMO variant. If 20K had been in my budget I myself would have certainly have opted for that option. They are relatively cheap to buy, and cheap to maintain given you do it properly. But I do agree that it is a shame to see how some Z's wind up when they are in the hands of people that ruin-mod them. Our resale value isn't great, but I'm sure someday that will change. One silver lining is that with each kid that buys one, ruins it, and wreck it, whereas it does make for one less Z, It does make well kept nice ones far more valuable. But I don't know that I ever thought of resale value when buying my Zs I never really planned on selling them

Originally Posted by bb17
I think the biggest thing is the cost/benefit ratio along with the aftermarket support. For about $20k you can you a used Nismo in good condition and that is a car that will outperform most anything else you can get for that price, and you also get a rare car that draws a lot of positive attention. The aftermarket support means that support parts are plentiful and you can customize it just the way you like it without paying a fortune. The car is generally pretty reliable and can also accommodate upgrades easily (i.e. 305 rear tires on stock Nismo Rays wheels!).
Originally Posted by Phenom
It's a good balance of everything. It has decent power, it handles well, it's rear wheel drive, it looks pretty good after some nice wheels and lowered a bit, and it isn't a fish out of water on a road course or at an auto cross event. And in my personal experience, it has been extremely reliable. My only gripe is the fact that the resale is so terrible that it's reputation is being ruined by kids picking them up cheap and plastidipping everything.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

This is why I started Z33Garage on youtube
The love for the Z started with GT, along with many other cars as a kid.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:52 PM
Godfoot

I've seen your channel before! You've got some really good and informative videos on there!! Thanks for being so helpful to the community!!

Originally Posted by Z33Garage
This is why I started Z33Garage on youtube
The love for the Z started with GT, along with many other cars as a kid.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:56 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

When you say these cars give you their all, it made me realize how reliable my z has been not neglecting the fact that I drive it hard very often
Old 07-06-2015, 04:11 PM
Godfoot

It's really true, I haven't always kept my Z's at the pinnacle of maintenance or been forever kind to them, but even still they have never let me down.

Originally Posted by venture210
When you say these cars give you their all, it made me realize how reliable my z has been not neglecting the fact that I drive it hard very often
Old 07-06-2015, 05:58 PM
TitaniumT8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't been so easy on my Z either, but she's never let me down. I'm at 94K. When looking for a car I considered the Cayman, STI, G37, BRZ, and Camaro.

I chose the Z because it was the best value for the money, huge aftermarket support, kept its good looks over time (unlike the Camaro), and because it's successor wasn't leaps and bounds better. Also, it was appealing not having a car payment and putting some of that saved money towards upgrades.

The Z is historic and iconic. It garners respect that some other sports cars don't. The STI may put up better numbers, but I chose the Z (around the same price as the STIs I was watching) because of the styling, factory sound, and overall feeling I got when comparing the two. I could've got the Cayman but I wouldn't have been able to make it my own because of price and payments. Everyone has a Camaro and the looks haven't stood the test of time. The BRZ is fun, but underpowered and the successor will without question be heads and shoulders better. The Z was the obvious choice.

I'm already looking at my next car. I will not be selling Ms. Z. I'm considering picking up a Nismo 350Z because I'm not really feeling the 370Z. Maybe I'll be patient and pick up the next Z in 2017 or whenever it's released.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:42 PM
Dan Garcia
Professional

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

always liked the z, my first car was a 76 280, liked it very much and never abused it,
same goes for 350 and my most recent purchase ( the 300 ). i'm not a race car driver,
i believe in taking care of my vehicles because if you don't it can get quite expensive if you constantly have to buy repair parts and for some pay for repairs, I much rather spend the money on mods instead. they are not expensive cars but they are reliable and don't believe they'll ever go out of style. I have no plans on getting rid of my z's, maybe even pick up another one in a couple of years. The Nismo will always be garaged and the 300 is my new daily ( with a little work I think I can make some room for it in the garage too ). Been a Z fan for about thirty years and will probably do another thirty and then some.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Mine keeps telling me that it loves me, so I keep it.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:03 PM
Golden_Armz

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I fell in love with nissan when I first drive my 92 240sx. When I first saw the new 350z in 03, I instantly fell in love with it. Coming from a 150hp 240sx to 287hp 350z was all I could think of... But at the time I was 22 going to school and couldn't even afford a used one. Fast toward to now, I own a 06, and I fall in love with it every time I drive. The styling, power, handling, breaking, it's just all around a great car, and the more years go by the more rare it will be.... I actually thought about selling it for a challenger, but really, I don't like driving boats, lol
Love the sleek nimble, V6 2 seater. I'm staying loyal to my Z, lol
Old 07-06-2015, 07:38 PM
trop7blue

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most reliable car I've ever owned and so much fun!!
Old 07-06-2015, 07:51 PM
TEF

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Almost without exception, the speed and performance of a sports car, is relative to its cost: the more money spent, the faster the car. Therefore those without infinite funds (most of us on this forum) must compromise. And the "Z", for people like us is the result of that compromise. It's reasonably quick, reliable with styling that has withstood the test of time. By contrast, the RX-7 or BMW Z3 do not fare as well in the styling department - they both really look their age. The Honda S2K kept its looks, but is not the ideal daily driver in traffic - the constant up and down shifting is like rowing the car. At my price point, the selection was limited and I am not disappointed with my purchase.

As a lot of you have already pointed out, the "Z" is reliable and, in the 10 years that I've owned mine, I've replaced one window motor, hatch struts, tires and battery. Much of that is due to good old Japanese engineering, but there's another factor: the "Z" is one of the few vehicles actually manufactured in Japan and today even the Japanese find it difficult to find locally produced products.

While not perfect, it's heavy and rides stiffly, one would have to spend twice as much for something marginally better like a Cayman or Boxster. Recently, I've considered European sports cars (and could even afford one), but there's this nagging feeling that questions the cost of repairs once a Porsche or whatever goes off warranty. I fear that my next sports car, no matter the brand, will not be as cheap to maintain as my '04 350Z. So our next sports car will have a hard act to follow. In fact, I am not sure that even the 370Z is up to 350Z standards.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM
Z33Garage

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Godfoot
I've seen your channel before! You've got some really good and informative videos on there!! Thanks for being so helpful to the community!!
Thanks man!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:58 PM
bloodw3rx

It's sexy! And so fun!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Justin100

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i test drove bmws and benz,

euro cars = super expensive for world class interior.

the 350z is perfect in its way that it pretty much gets everything just about right for me.

car is fast enough on stock

leather interior - touring version - good enough

repair / insurance / maintenance - all very reasonable.

good all around car.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:15 PM
StevSam

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Sally will be in my life for 9 years this July 15, 2015. I feel what has kept her by my side for so long are the memories with her. Spontaneous road trips, random adventures, and the people I've met because of the Z. Do not forget to mention the beautiful design of the Z's curves, especially at night whilst passing through a lit up tunnel.

Another reason why I love Sally so much is being able to see her evolve into the image I've always wanted her. Seeing the progression in this build make it hard for me to ever think of letter her go. I've seen so many other Z enthusiast put their own style into their ride. Not everyone has the same flavor, but it shows the passion for the Z.

The 350z is the perfect car for this phase of my life. Single, no kids, and an extra seat for the future bae lol. Never letting her go
Old 07-07-2015, 11:11 PM
zaku_4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

because its a car i loved since it was released in 03 and its the first car ive ever owned that ive modded and worked on myself (first used car).

i guess its cause it truly is mine. lol

Old 07-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Frank_White

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by TEF
By contrast, the RX-7 or BMW Z3 do not fare as well in the styling department - they both really look their age.
the RX-7 has ages really well in my opinion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do you love your Z? What makes it the car for you?