2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Airbag On/Off Switch

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:37 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Airbag On/Off Switch

Hey all,
I have a need to install an Airbag on/off switch so that I can transport my son in my car. Has anyone else done this, and if so, can you post a pic or tell me a little about the switch?

I've gotten permission from the DOT as required, now I just have to get it put in.

I'm pretty concerned that the dealership (or whatever hack shop they outsource the work to) will screw up the inside of my car.

Do you think it's reasonable to ask the shop to show me where they are going to put the switch and show me what it looks like before they install it? I don't want to be a pain, but it is my brand new car....
Old 02-13-2004, 09:44 AM
gohorhay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also just got authorization from the NHTSA. Jeff at Performance Nissan (CA) is ordering the parts for me.

Part numbers for the Roadster are:

Harness # 24170-CD026 $60.47
Switch # B5580-77J02 $212.75

They said they would do the install for $120.00. This will be there first install so I'm a little curious myself where and how it is installed...?
Old 02-13-2004, 12:09 PM
kcobean

Originally posted by gohorhay
I also just got authorization from the NHTSA. Jeff at Performance Nissan (CA) is ordering the parts for me.

Part numbers for the Roadster are:

Harness # 24170-CD026 $60.47
Switch # B5580-77J02 $212.75

They said they would do the install for $120.00. This will be there first install so I'm a little curious myself where and how it is installed...?
Good info...Thanks....Can you post some pics of your install once you get it done? I'd love to see this before I take my baby in...I'm really not too impressed with the third-party switch/indicator lights, but if I gotta, I gotta....

Many of the installs I see on airbagonoff.com show the switch down in the passenger footwell, and that is just...well...ugly....
Old 02-13-2004, 12:30 PM
commasense

I had Sensible Solutions (airbagonoff.com) install two in my car a little less than a year ago. Since I wanted the switches close together, in easy reach, and not stuck to the dash panel around my knees, I decided the Nav pocket was the best location.

Read about it here.

It looks like the aftermarket switch is about $50 cheaper than the factory part, and they'll install it at your house.

BTW, since the switches were installed, twice the airbag light has come on for no particular reason. But all I did was run the reset routine once or twice (you switch the ignition on and off at specific intervals) and it was fixed.

In short, I'm happy with the switches.
Attached Thumbnails Airbag On/Off Switch-img_5952mr.jpg  

Last edited by commasense; 02-13-2004 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:20 PM
tbridis

Default Re: Airbag On/Off Switch

I keep inquiring at my local dealership (Springfield, Va.), and they keep telling me they're unaware of that option from Nissan. I even gave them the TSB number announcing the availability of the switch, and they promised to call me when it's available. Still waiting.

I'm nervous driving my kids in the Z until it's done. I'd pay $120.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Azeotrope

Default Re: Re: Airbag On/Off Switch

Originally posted by tbridis
I keep inquiring at my local dealership (Springfield, Va.), and they keep telling me they're unaware of that option from Nissan. I even gave them the TSB number announcing the availability of the switch, and they promised to call me when it's available. Still waiting.

I'm nervous driving my kids in the Z until it's done. I'd pay $120.
Noone wants to do them here, because of liability issues. The dealer certified places charge in the neighborhood of $1000 I was told.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:31 PM
kcobean

The install from SS is about $400. I say about because their labor rate is $75.00/hr, so if you want the switch in some insane place, they'll do it, but it'll cost you. CommaSense, thanks for the pics. One of my big questions was whether or not the switch would fit in the console box or not..

I'm with you tbridis, I'm a little nervous putting my kiddo in the pass. seat with the airbag active, but he's almost heavy enough to do away with the child seat (I know the law says six years old, but at four and a half, my son weighs more than some six year olds), and without the booster, he sits about 2 feet from the airbag (much farther than the published 10" danger zone.

I'm still getting the switch put in by SS.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:40 PM
kcobean

Default Re: Re: Re: Airbag On/Off Switch

Originally posted by Azeotrope
Noone wants to do them here, because of liability issues. The dealer certified places charge in the neighborhood of $1000 I was told.
I called Brown's Fairfax Nissan, and their service folks told me flat out that they won't do this because of liability....Which is complete horse-c**p if you ask me. If the NHTSA says it's ok for me to do it, and it's mechanically feasible, then why not? But oh well, at least SS will come to my house...That way I can watch them accidentally ignite the bag

Maybe Nissan just doesn't have any faith in their mechanics or something....
Old 03-01-2004, 01:45 PM
hhseouljah

hm, switch location? hm...if you have a touring, you know the third button next to the heated seats, that seems like an interesting position, because then it wont look as weird. just my .02
Old 03-01-2004, 01:51 PM
gohorhay

I finally got my switch installed this past weekend. I ordered the parts through Performance Nissan (part #'s are in a previous post) and had it installed there. The switch is placed in one of the storage compartments behind and between the seats totally out of view. There is an on/off indicator which is also installed by the rear view mirror so the passenger can see if it is disabled. I am very pleased with the install, I'll try to post pics later. I like the location much better than the pics posted above...

I'm not sure if Performance Nissan will be doing any more installs, you'll have to check with Jeff in Parts or Mike in Service. I don't think they knew all that it entailed...
Old 03-01-2004, 02:10 PM
gohorhay

Originally posted by kcobean
I'm with you tbridis, I'm a little nervous putting my kiddo in the pass. seat with the airbag active, but he's almost heavy enough to do away with the child seat (I know the law says six years old, but at four and a half, my son weighs more than some six year olds), and without the booster, he sits about 2 feet from the airbag (much farther than the published 10" danger zone.
By the way, I'm not sure what the law is but the warning states children 12 and under should not ride in the front seat with an airbag. I had a friend lose his 10 year old son due to a slower speed fender bender and the airbag deployed. Be very careful. My 10 and 5 year olds didn't get to ride in it until this past weekend...
Old 03-01-2004, 02:36 PM
commasense

The boy died???

Was he not belted in, or standing, or something?

I like the location much better than the pics posted above...
Well, oh yeah? I think your mother dresses you funny!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:59 PM
gohorhay

He was seated. He bent over to put something on the floor when the accident happened.

Yours doesn't look bad. I just like mine better.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:08 PM
tbridis

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Airbag On/Off Switch

>>I called Brown's Fairfax Nissan, and their service folks told me flat out that they won't do this because of liability....Which is complete horse-c**p if you ask me. If the NHTSA says it's ok for me to do it, and it's mechanically feasible, then why not? But oh well, at least SS will come to my house...That way I can watch them accidentally ignite the bag<<

What's even worse is that it's a *factory-authorized option* that your Nissan dealer is reportedly refusing to install. I'll give my dealership another few weeks (don't have time before then anyway) and if they refuse, I'll complain to Nissan corporate.

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...8.asp?mscssid=

"2003 350Z; Passenger's Front Air Bag On/Off Switch Kit Availability"
Old 03-02-2004, 06:29 AM
kcobean

The only thing the link you've posted states is that the parts are available from Nissan, it doesn't say that they are obligated to do the work, unfortunately. I don't have a TSB viewing subscription, so I can't get to the whole TSB, but I'm sure that's where they're going. I still think it's garbage....Nissan should have anticipated that they would get these kinds of requests for a two-seat sports car that young guys (with families) can afford and been more prepared to deal with it....
Old 03-02-2004, 06:32 AM
kcobean

Originally posted by gohorhay
By the way, I'm not sure what the law is but the warning states children 12 and under should not ride in the front seat with an airbag. I had a friend lose his 10 year old son due to a slower speed fender bender and the airbag deployed. Be very careful. My 10 and 5 year olds didn't get to ride in it until this past weekend...
Yeah, I know, I kept trying to put his booster in the back-seat, but the rear strut-bar kept getting in the way ... Seriously though, I know the risks associated with doing what I'm doing, so my son is RARELY in the car until the switch is installed.....
Old 03-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Azeotrope

An adult could also be injured or killed if the airbag went off while they were close to it. It becomes in my opinion, a question of whether the passenger is safer most of the time with the bag on or off.

My 7 year old will ride infrequently with me, but when she does she will have her seat all the way back and will be glued to the center of it. I have chosen to leave the bags on. With a different child this option may not be the best.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:21 AM
tfinan

gohorhay - I am interested in seeing your pictures of the Nissan switch install. Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 03:00 PM
chandlerad

I purchased my airbag cutoff switch from Sensible Solutions for $168 including shipping. I installed it today and it works great. I put it in the navigation storage bin like another one shown in this forum. The wires were relatively accessible, so I soldered mine. I planned for several days but the install only took 3 very careful hours.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:55 AM
wadej

Originally posted by commasense
I had Sensible Solutions (airbagonoff.com) install two in my car a little less than a year ago. Since I wanted the switches close together, in easy reach, and not stuck to the dash panel around my knees, I decided the Nav pocket was the best location.

Read about it here.

It looks like the aftermarket switch is about $50 cheaper than the factory part, and they'll install it at your house.

BTW, since the switches were installed, twice the airbag light has come on for no particular reason. But all I did was run the reset routine once or twice (you switch the ignition on and off at specific intervals) and it was fixed.

In short, I'm happy with the switches.
James,

I have that same radar detector and I really like how you have it installed. How did you do that, or did you have someone else do it?

Wade

Quick Reply: Airbag On/Off Switch