Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

2003 350Z Radio won't shut off - Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 03:22 PM
Migz84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 350Z Radio won't shut off - Help

Hey guys, need to pick some 350z brains. I didn't start my 2003 350z for about 2 weeks and the battery ran dead. I jumped it today and noticed that after the battery charged and I shut off my car, the radio stayed on. I opened the door (couldn't remember if the Z is like my wife's car and the radio stays on until you open the door), but it stayed on even after getting out of the car and waiting 10+ minutes. It never shuts off. The radio works fine (changing stations, volume, manually turning it off) but the clock and light stay on. Basically the radio NEVER shuts off.

Everything else shuts off when I shut off the car except for the radio, so I figure the ign switch is OK. When I open the door the light on dash (door ajar) comes on, so I assume the door sensor (if applicable on my Z) works. The radio is factory, not after market. The previous owner did install a XM radio above the factory radio, but it has always worked fine, never an issue. I unhooked the battery, checked the radio fuse (ok).

Anyone have ANY ideas? I have just pulled the radio fuse for now so it won't drain the battery. Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Old 01-24-2016, 04:00 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

It worked fine before? Doesn't make a lot of sence unless the po hooked the red and yellow wires up backwards and then played with settings to make it seem like it functioned correctly untill the battery died and you reset the system...

My guess
Old 01-24-2016, 05:55 PM
Steelcyclone

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

This doesn't really help you but I had the same exact thing happen a few times about a year ago, was really weird. I would shut the car off and everything would be off but music would still be playing and stereo would still be on. Always happened on my way to work so I never was able to see exactly how long it stayed on, I would just mute the volume and go to work. When I was leaving for lunch it would already be shut off. This happened about 3 times in one week about a year ago and then never happened again. I got around to check the wires on the aftermarket stereo and everything was fine.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:32 AM
Migz84

Yea, it worked flawlessly before, so weird. Any other suggestions anyone?
Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

Did you jump the car or charge the battery when you found out the battery was dead? Why's your battery dying after sitting for only 2 weeks? I'm wondering if something got fried in the HU since the problem didn't surface until after you started up the car again. Also, is your battery old and ready to be replaced? Voltage issues can affect the BCM. If the battery's fresh and you're getting a parasitic draw, I'd worry about fixing that first (it's a good bet that the draw's coming from the HU since it's not turning off, so you might want to start probing there).
Old 01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
My3FiddyZ

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

I had this happen and finally figured it out. Basically when the key is turned off my radio and navigation would stay on. What i had to do was as i was getting out, bump the mirror adjust switch (has to be one side or the other, and not in the center position) but basically that cut power for the electronics.

A few months ago I finally dug into the subwoofer cubby and discovered that one of the adapters I had installed to convert regular speaker channel into aux outs (can't think of the correct name of it) Turns out the adapter wasn't even needed as it was professionally installed and spliced, but i had the Bose amp problem and did the DIY fix on it. The adapter was still plugged in but was never needed and ended up being the problem. Some of the wires came loose within and were causing the short.

That's a specific case but I would start with looking through your wiring and check for loose or touching wires. In the meantime until you're able to get it figured out, see if the mirror trick works for you. I got used to it and ended up being an automatic motion when i reached for the door handle to just bump the switch and the power would then be cut
Old 02-24-2016, 03:31 PM
Migz84

Thanks everybody for your help! I took out the aftermarket Xm radio and it didn't help anything. I took the Z to the local car audio shop and they suggested the main factory radio was the problem. I bought a new aftermarket unit, they installed it, and everything is just fine now! Fixed! The car audio shop said they have heard of this before. Something about the radio going bad and the electronics within the radio that actually shut the radio off were damaged? I don't know, seems kinda weird but they did fix it for 2 weeks now! Thanks again, awesome community we have here!