Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

3 Days, 5 States, and 1600 Miles Later...

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Michael-Dallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Days, 5 States, and 1600 Miles Later...

I have a Chrome Silver Track parked next to my Glacier White Pearlglow Twin Turbo in my garage!

Kudos to JmanZ for this wonderful forum, kudos to ericn for posting the lead on the Track model, and kudos to Droidekaus for pointing me to ericn's thread. And last, but not least, kudos to Stephen Schweikarth at D. Patrick Nissan in Evansville, IN. Those guys wanted to keep the CS Track in their market, but they finally agreed to let me have it (after playing phone tag w/ Stephen). If any of you guys are like me and are w/in close proximity to Evansville, IN, then they'll be getting some more 350z's in November that are not pre-order (I think).

Now, my observations:

1- Arkansas is good for state troopers and bad roads. You want a GOOD suspension test, then look no further. Just make sure you have a GOOD radar detector. Those AR guys love instant on.

2- I now understand why people complain about Texas drivers. They can't seem to comprehend slower traffic keep right. When they see somebody behind them, they should assume that person is going faster than them. Even if they're passing a car themselves.

3- Nissan ergonomics always impress me. The interior is definitely a step up from the Z32 interior, which I think is one of the best in its time.

4- I can't believe the speedo stops at 160mph. Nissan made this mistake in the Z32 and they're doing it again! I want a freaking 200mph speedo and if that's not possible, then at least a 180mph speedo.

5- What ding dong came up w/ the engine oil dipstick design? If the dipstick was gonna look like that, then don't even bother giving me one.

6- The pedal placement took a while for me to get used to. The first few times, my left foot would get caught under the brake pedal between shifts. I think I'm used to having my legs point inwards and feet close together.

7- The brushed aluminum is definitely a nice touch. I didn't think the cruise controls and aluminum would look nice on the steering wheel (it reminds me of the Z31 for some reason), but it grew on me.

8- I averaged 70mph and 27mpg. I left the dealership in Evansville, IN w/ a full tank of gas and I only filled up once near Little Rock, AR. Unbelievable.

9- I don't understand how some people say the Nav door is flimsy. I don't think it's flimsy. Perhaps a poor design, but it works ok for me. Then again, I practiced opening and closing it the whole drive home.

10- I just checked the tires on tirerack.com. Only 2 available and they're just below $200/pop. Dayum! Anybody wanna buy a 94 TT garage queen?

Michael.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:51 PM
2003z

Default Re: 3 Days, 5 States, and 1600 Miles Later...

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas
I have a Chrome Silver Track parked next to my Glacier White Pearlglow Twin Turbo in my garage!

2- I now understand why people complain about Texas drivers. They can't seem to comprehend slower traffic keep right. When they see somebody behind them, they should assume that person is going faster than them. Even if they're passing a car themselves.
8- I averaged 70mph and 27mpg. I left the dealership in Evansville, IN w/ a full tank of gas and I only filled up once near Little Rock, AR. Unbelievable.

9- I don't understand how some people say the Nav door is flimsy. I don't think it's flimsy. Perhaps a poor design, but it works ok for me. Then again, I practiced opening and closing it the whole drive home.
Its been a few years, but my experience with Tx drivers is that they are the most corteous in the world. Even on 4 lanes, they moved over for me to pass.
I got 27.5 mpg averaging about 75 on my drive from norfolk to atlanta
The nav door thing. I can see the criticism for a press car that people cycle in and out of, but for a personal car that 1 or 2 people will be driving, there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:56 PM
mike952

Default Re: 3 Days, 5 States, and 1600 Miles Later...

Based on what you said, 2 full tanks (1 fill up on the way; 1 full tank before leaving)...for 1600 miles...that is 800 miles per tank!!! I think you meant atleast 2 fill ups correct?

Originally posted by Michael-Dallas

Kudos to JmanZ for this wonderful forum, kudos to ericn for posting the lead on the Track model, and kudos to Droidekaus for pointing me to ericn's thread. And last, but not least, kudos to Stephen Schweikarth at D. Patrick Nissan in Evansville, IN. Those guys wanted to keep the CS Track in their market, but they finally agreed to let me have it (after playing phone tag w/ Stephen). If any of you guys are like me and are w/in close proximity to Evansville, IN, then they'll be getting some more 350z's in November that are not pre-order (I think).

Now, my observations:

1- Arkansas is good for state troopers and bad roads. You want a GOOD suspension test, then look no further. Just make sure you have a GOOD radar detector. Those AR guys love instant on.

3- Nissan ergonomics always impress me. The interior is definitely a step up from the Z32 interior, which I think is one of the best in its time.

4- I can't believe the speedo stops at 160mph. Nissan made this mistake in the Z32 and they're doing it again! I want a freaking 200mph speedo and if that's not possible, then at least a 180mph speedo.

5- What ding dong came up w/ the engine oil dipstick design? If the dipstick was gonna look like that, then don't even bother giving me one.

6- The pedal placement took a while for me to get used to. The first few times, my left foot would get caught under the brake pedal between shifts. I think I'm used to having my legs point inwards and feet close together.

7- The brushed aluminum is definitely a nice touch. I didn't think the cruise controls and aluminum would look nice on the steering wheel (it reminds me of the Z31 for some reason), but it grew on me.

10- I just checked the tires on tirerack.com. Only 2 available and they're just below $200/pop. Dayum! Anybody wanna buy a 94 TT garage queen?

Michael.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:08 PM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reminds me of when I picked up my 93 300ZXTT
2700 miles in 4 days.. Arkansas to Cali
Bad thing though was I hit a deer out side of San Antonio =(

Just a suggestion to those who are thinking of Buying a car out of state and driving it home..
My Suggestion is to get it shipped Much safer..

Also Thank God for the Valentine 1 and the Nav System =)
Old 09-18-2002, 05:29 AM
DrDrilZ

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GodZilla
[B]Reminds me of when I picked up my 93 300ZXTT
2700 miles in 4 days.. Arkansas to Cali
Bad thing though was I hit a deer out side of San Antonio =(

you hit a deer on the way home after picking up your new Z? ouch, that had to be painful. specially on a brand new Z? i guess you can laugh about it now.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:42 AM
pluckyduck

Default Arkansas highways

I totally agree about the highways in Arkansas. On one of my trips from Atlanta to Wichita I totalled my Thuderbird SC because of those bad roads. Going around a curve, hit a massive pothole, car looses traction and slips onto the right shoulder, gravel on shoulder causes more traction loss, many donuts later car is toast.

I have never driven through Arkansas again, Tennessee and Missouri are much more pleasant.

-Plucky
Old 09-18-2002, 06:02 AM
rai

Power wise how does the new Z compare to the tt Z ?

I kind of like the 160 mph spedo. I don't drive any faster than that, and the numbers get closer together and smaller when you have more of them. Why do you want a 200 mph spedo? For looks or do you really drive faster than 160 mph??
Old 09-18-2002, 06:47 AM
aggie300zx

I will say being a previous owner of a '95 Z32TT, I do indeed miss the turbo boost. Call me lazy, but when they did spool up, what a rush. I'm having to adjust to the 350z and its setup. I definetly think the handling is much better on the new Z though.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:48 AM
ChinaClipper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kudos?

Kudos to JmanZ for this wonderful forum, kudos to ericn for posting the lead on the Track model, and kudos to Droidekaus for pointing me to ericn's thread. And last, but not least, kudos to Stephen Schweikarth at D. Patrick Nissan in Evansville, IN.

Hey Michael- Dallas: What! No kudos to me for that test ride which tempted you to search the country for a 350Z?

Congrats on your new acquisition: CS Tracks rule!

- ChinaClipper
Old 09-18-2002, 08:59 AM
Michael-Dallas

Based on what you said, 2 full tanks (1 fill up on the way; 1 full tank before leaving)...for 1600 miles...that is 800 miles per tank!!! I think you meant atleast 2 fill ups correct?
I'm still dumbstruck from having a 350 that I probably should have clarified. We drove a Chevy Malibu rental car 800 miles to Evansville and drove the 350z 800 miles back.

Power wise how does the new Z compare to the tt Z ?
Well... my TT isn't exactly stock. Stock vs stock, I don't remember how a stock TT drives. Power wise, my modded TT obviously takes it. But overall, I think the 350 is a step up from the 300 and that is why I have one.

I kind of like the 160 mph spedo. I don't drive any faster than that, and the numbers get closer together and smaller when you have more of them. Why do you want a 200 mph spedo? For looks or do you really drive faster than 160 mph??
Stage 3 and above TT's definitely have the capability of going faster than 160mph. And every once in a blue moon (read: rarely), I do take mine up there for a second or two. If JWT ever comes out w/ a 350 ECU that drops the speed limiter and increases hp, then that 160mph speedo certainly isn't gonna cut it.

If all else fails, alot of other high end sports cars have higher speedos.

Michael.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:04 AM
Michael-Dallas

Default Re: Kudos?

Originally posted by ChinaClipper
Hey Michael- Dallas: What! No kudos to me for that test ride which tempted you to search the country for a 350Z?
Dangit, like I said, I'm still dumbstruck about having a 350 that I've been forgetting things (I wonder if I've locked the doors...). Yes, most of all, major kudos to ChinaClipper who graciously gave me a ride in his Chrome Silver Track. That ride was the catalyst for me losing sleep every night and surfing this forum until I could find a Track model.

And it's just coincidence that I now have the exact same model he does... or was it fate...?

Michael.
Old 09-21-2002, 06:02 PM
GodZilla
Bad Mojo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

350Z compared to my TT

Well my TT is 337 RWHP so definitly not stock.
And kept pulling at 150mph .

Handling the 350Z totally will kick the 300zx, not sure that even if I modified the suspension on the 300 if it would hang as well as the 350Z.