Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Getting My Fuel Lines Recalled 9 Years Later.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Vena14

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting My Fuel Lines Recalled 9 Years Later.

So two Saturdays ago I purchased a 2004 350z with 56k miles. Really only the two issue were that it had been in a minor accident and also has not recalled the fuel lines. I figured this would be an easy task and since it was free why not have Nissan repair it. Today I dropped my Z off to get the fuel lines recalled thinking this was no big deal until I got to work. After doing five minutes of research I'm now extremely paranoid and had half a mind to call and tell them to cancel the recall work.

When I dropped the car off the tech said this was "an ancient recall" and he hadn't performed one himself. I'm terrified of what could come of this if they do manage to not drop my car and successfully swap the lines. What things should I look out for before I drive the car off the lot to make sure they are fully accountable for any and all damages/misrepairs. I'm nervous about them taking my RPF1's off as it is. This is my first manual car and my first sports car coming for a G sedan so I'm not sure what exactly is normal or what the suspension should feel like. I can only compare it to the week and a half of driving I've done prior to dropping it off.

Last edited by Vena14; 04-05-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:58 AM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

I wouldn't obsess over it. The recall is a safety issue and needs to be done. Inspect the car before you drive off with it and inform the shop immediately if you find any damage that wasn't there before. If you have high value aftermarket parts attached to the car, make note of those in particular. Nissan dealerships are generally very good about using proper tools to avoid damage.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:04 AM
Vena14

Yeah the reason for the recall being gas fumes possibly igniting from crack hoses is concerning. I just didn't want to bring in my functional car to get a recall performed that didn't really need to be done and come out worse in the end. A lot of the horror stories I was reading was right around the time when the recall was first issued so hopefully Nissan has corrected their approach.

My main concern was that I'm almost in the same boat as some of the first people to get it done in the sense that this recall is 9 years old. The tech stated that this was "an ancient recall and one that he had never done." That's mainly the part that has me worried. The car is already being serviced so I can't take that back I just want to protect myself from any future complication that could arise. I'm not really going to be able to tell if they lost a bolt/piece of the suspension until that part fails. I was really looking for if anyone had this recall done and then discovered other issues down the road because of it. This is obviously an old recall and I couldn't really find any posts about successful recalls only posts about people being worried or the few cars that got dropped. I guess it's the sense that no one says anything unless there is a problem.

Last edited by Vena14; 04-05-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:03 AM
JBJ

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is Nissan actually going to pay for the recall? I'm asking since I bought an older Z last year and never really thought about looking into recalls.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:15 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 445 Likes on 361 Posts

WTF, why do you think they would take your suspension/tires off for a fuel line?
Old 04-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I had this done on my 2003 350z. It's not difficult, and you should not worry about it.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:12 AM
Vena14

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
WTF, why do you think they would take your suspension/tires off for a fuel line?
It's not like I just made this fact up out of nowhere. This is what I discovered after doing research back when the recall was put out in 2006. Two to three z's were dropped off of the lift because they dropped the suspension out and the car fell forward. I don't know why you would have to take the rear suspension out that's a question for Nissan.

The recall went fine. The tech said it was a little more difficult than he expected but Nissan had updated the instructions since the recall was first put out.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 AM
Vena14

Originally Posted by JBJ
Is Nissan actually going to pay for the recall? I'm asking since I bought an older Z last year and never really thought about looking into recalls.
Nissan also did pay for the recall and I also had them inspect a few things on the car while they had it on the lift which they also did free of charge. Recalls are always free as they are a safety issue the manufacturer is correcting.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:34 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 445 Likes on 361 Posts

Ok, I looked into the recall. It's a fuel filler hose NOT a fuel line. I wouldn't even do it unless your filler hose is leaking.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 AM
Vena14

It was already done successfully. The reason for the recall is the cracked line could lead to leaking fumes which could ignite. Granted you'd figure after 9 years if it was going to happen it would have.