Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Aftermarket Steering Wheels - safety?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 02:12 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Default Aftermarket Steering Wheels - safety?

Just browsing the local CL and saw this interesting pic from a listing for a wrecked '08 Z. Note how the aftermarket wheel is slightly inverted and pushed back toward the dash. Who wouldn't rather have a nice comfy airbag in their chest instead?

Old 04-14-2016, 02:14 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Always been against quick release and aftermarket without air bags for streets. Nothing more ricer than that to me
Old 04-14-2016, 02:33 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i would rather hurt from an airbag instead of breaking my sternum.

but i think the tardo that put on that steering wheel, but it on backwards
Old 04-14-2016, 02:37 PM
08andawesome

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's on backwards too but I would rather travlee break his sternum in his almighty corvette.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 PM
dcains

The other pics show the car in a pretty bad front-end collision, so I think the wheel collapsed when his/her chest hit it. Don't know for sure, and I'm not going to look at the car. It looked pretty ricey, though, with the '08 Bi-Xenon lights swapped for eBay junk, eBay spoiler and plastidipped wheels.

I have an aftermarket wheel on my '87 Alfa, which is a pre-airbag car, but it's a Momo wheel and it has a collapsible Momo hub.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:50 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

dunno, its really even, back in my paramedic days if someone smacked a steering wheel that hard it would bent a section of it.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:56 PM
dSpaceman

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 08andawesome
I think it's on backwards too but I would rather travlee break his sternum in his almighty corvette.
Here we go again

I agree with Trav, looks more like it was installed backwards
Old 04-14-2016, 02:56 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

My T3-spec Z racecar has a Momo steering wheel with a quick disconnect, but there's also a camlock five-point harnesses to hold the nut behind the wheel in place. For the street, I'd much rather have an airbag with the OEM three point harness in my Z.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:36 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Quality aftermarket steering wheel for track, airbag for street.

Originally Posted by 08andawesome
Must still be in high school.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:35 PM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Probably didn't pass the lean test

On a side note, a quality hub may have collapsing segments to lessen an impact... but I've seen people bust their chest up pretty good hitting stationary objects I can't imagine a head on collision and taking the full brunt through the wheel. Say hello to death by impalement.

Last edited by Freise; 04-14-2016 at 05:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KingBaby (04-15-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:45 PM
dcains

LOL, looks like it's made of silly putty.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 AM
dSpaceman

Going back to OP's question regarding safety, I'm close to pulling the trigger on an aftermarket steering wheel setup (Works Bell short hub, NRG Q/R, Personal wheel) and was wondering the same thing. Is the lack of airbag worth the benefits? I've never seen a track day and the car will remain for street use. Reason I want an aftermarket one is

a) I don't like how big and meaty the stock wheel is, feels too clumsy

b) Street parking makes my car prone to being stolen. Now I live in a pretty good neighbourhood and the chances of that happening is pretty slim, but if I could even eliminate the 1% chance of it happening, it seems justified to me

What do you guys think?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:16 AM
turboed350z

Originally Posted by dSpaceman
Going back to OP's question regarding safety, I'm close to pulling the trigger on an aftermarket steering wheel setup (Works Bell short hub, NRG Q/R, Personal wheel) and was wondering the same thing. Is the lack of airbag worth the benefits? I've never seen a track day and the car will remain for street use. Reason I want an aftermarket one is

a) I don't like how big and meaty the stock wheel is, feels too clumsy

b) Street parking makes my car prone to being stolen. Now I live in a pretty good neighbourhood and the chances of that happening is pretty slim, but if I could even eliminate the 1% chance of it happening, it seems justified to me

What do you guys think?

Honestly, the "steering feel" doesnt really matter on the street. Also, the whole "theft detergent" is what ricers uses as an excuse to say they "need one".

First of all, there is NEVER a reason to risk safety for materialistic things. Car gets stolen, you can always buy another.

No need for it in a street car. What do you value more, a "cool" steering wheel or your life.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM
dSpaceman

Originally Posted by turboed350z
Honestly, the "steering feel" doesnt really matter on the street. Also, the whole "theft detergent" is what ricers uses as an excuse to say they "need one".

First of all, there is NEVER a reason to risk safety for materialistic things. Car gets stolen, you can always buy another.

No need for it in a street car. What do you value more, a "cool" steering wheel or your life.
I appreciate the input, and I would appreciate it even more if you didn't generalise people into "ricers". I think there's enough room for debate with the "theft detergent" to say that it's my opinion against yours. Anywho, to be quite frank I'm looking for someone to talk me out of it because I definitely agree with the safety factor. I also can't deny that the "cool factor" influences my decision. But then again you could say that for a lot of things.

For example, going over speed limit to get to work on time. What do you value more, getting to work on time or your life?

Looks like my mind is made. I'll update you guys in a couple years to let you guys know I'm alive (or not)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:11 AM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

I appreciate the input, and I would appreciate it even more if you didn't generalise people into "ricers". I think there's enough room for debate with the "theft detergent" to say that it's my opinion against yours. Anywho, to be quite frank I'm looking for someone to talk me out of it because I definitely agree with the safety factor. I also can't deny that the "cool factor" influences my decision. But then again you could say that for a lot of things.

For example, going over speed limit to get to work on time. What do you value more, getting to work on time or your life?

Looks like my mind is made. I'll update you guys in a couple years to let you guys know I'm alive (or not)
Honest answer: it's NOT a theft deterrent.

Most thefts will happen with a flat-deck tow truck (that's the most common method in my area). They won't even get in the car; just hook it up, drag it on the deck, and drive away.

Most smash-and-dashers won't be able to get the car started without the keys.

Edit: just saw you are in Vancouver. Flat-decks are even more common there than Edmonton.

Last edited by Syner; 04-15-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:17 AM
dcains

Theft deterrent is pure BS. The Z is pretty tough to steal because of its immobilizer system. And, what would you do, walk around with the wheel every time you park the car? You could probably call your insurance company and ask if the Z is a high-risk car for theft, but I'd be willing to bet the answer is no.

As for safety, well you have to pay to play. I think insurance rates should be raised if you intentionally disable a well-proven mandatory safety system in your car. Smokers pay more for life and health insurance, so why not ricers? Think I'm wrong? Call your insurance agent and tell him/her you're removing the airbag.

In the end, I don't really care what people do, as long as it doesn't put others at risk, and you're the only one at risk with the missing airbag. I'm a trauma nurse, and much of my living is based on the stupid things people do to themselves.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:02 PM
turboed350z

Anytime you remove a functional part for looks or cool factor, that is ricer. Anytime you do something dangerous, just to look cool, that is a ricer.

And theft detergent is usually the first excuse a ricer say for removeable steering wheel. Not calling you a ricer,

But if the shoe fits, lace it up
Old 04-15-2016, 12:27 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
i would rather hurt from an airbag instead of breaking my sternum.

Haha its hard to argue with this........ And that looks like one of those cheap o POS ebay/autozone wheels.

That said, I am probably going to pick one up, a legit sparco or equivalent for my Z when I finally finish rebuilding her... Because ricecar and I can..

And because I DGAF and bought my bashed up Z to wrench and mod the **** out of it. Probably see some track/auto x events too. Haters ganna hate

Last edited by CK_32; 04-15-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:03 PM
stogey420time
Club Moderator
the Hot Spot

Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Anywho, I'm close to pulling the trigger on an aftermarket steering wheel setup (Works Bell short hub, NRG Q/R, Personal wheel) Anywho, to be quite frank I'm looking for someone to talk me out of it because I definitely agree with the safety factor. I also can't deny that the "cool factor" influences my decision. But then again you could say that for a lot of things.
Yep, I was thinking about this mod for a while myself! I was looking at the OMP CORSICA BLACK Suede Steering Wheel paired with works bell short hub and Q/R... this set up is $500+. I couldn't decide if I want a 330mm or 350mm steering wheel... decisions, decisions. A good friend of mine said this is one of his favorite mod.

Anyhow, my stock steering wheel still looks new after 9 years of ownership! So this may be a compulsive buy on my part but at least I have all my info sorted out and know what I want when it comes to buying when I'm ready.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Freise

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

At a 240sx meet I stopped to get gas another guy in his car was at the station waiting for a tow truck because while he went in to pay, someone had reached in through the window and snatched the wheel and was gone before anyone could look see it happen. They got the back of a grey hoodie on the camera and that was about it.

There is little reason to go aftermarket on a street car to begin with, with the only seemingly justifiable reason to replace an "ugly" wheel, but I personally don't find the wheel of the Z particularly unattractive. Lack of safety added on top of that and the money is easily spent elsewhere.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Steering Wheels - safety?