Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Should I buy a 350z for my first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 11:11 PM
JROCars

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy a 350z for my first car?

Hey guys,

I'm a 19 year old kid currently working & not in school. I wanted to post on here to get some opinions on if you guys think a 350z would be a good first car for me. Avoid all the "You should be saving for college" stuff, as I hear enough of that from my parents hahaha. But basically I've been saving up for my first car and I am looking to spend an absolute most of 14k. I will be making payments on the car and I really don't want to spend more than that. To give you guys an idea of what I want, here are some loose "Requirements":

1. Decent amount of power. Ive driven cars like a 2013 Civic Si, 2003 Mustang Mach 1, 2015 Focus ST, and a bunch more and honestly at first I thought I wanted as much power as possible but after driving less powerful cars, I've found that I can still have a lot of fun, and also the insurance and everything will be much lower for me.

2. Good looks, which I already like the 350z's looks so there isn't much to say there

3. Modding potential - I want to be able to at least do basic bolt ons like Exhaust, CAI, Tune, wheels and tires, and maybe even some gearing down the road. I'm not familiar with the import game at all, as my dad has always been into Muscle cars and my brothers car is a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. But id like to hear from you guys what some common mods are before the serious stuff like cams, Twin turbos, Superchargers, etc.

4. Reliability is a pretty important thing for me because I am paying for this car by myself, and ill have to fix it with my own money too. So I was wondering how long these cars usually last with good maintenance. I will admit ill probably drive the car pretty hard at least at first as I'm 19 and still have that craving for power haha.

5. Handling isn't huge for me as I live in a city type area, but I still might to some mods like coilovers or lowering springs and such.

I think thats pretty much it, like I said I'm new to the import world but I really wanted to get something different than my brother and dad. I also kind of want the car to be comparable to my brothers car if I ever race him haha His car has basic bolt ons but does run around a 4.8-5.0 second 0-60 so I want to be able to atleast stay close to him haha. Last thing, would saving a couple grand extra and buying a 370z be a better idea? I have been saving for a while and just really want to get a car already, but I do not want to buy a car and then wish I would of bought a better version of it. So what is your guys' honest opinions giving my budget, "requirements" and so on? Thank you! Also if you want to hear more or stay updated on my search and process of getting this car, you can search me up on youtube - JROCars

Last edited by JROCars; 09-28-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

my responses

1. the z isnt the most powerful car, but check insurance to make sure you dont get raped

2. Z does look good, even though i dont have mine anymore i still stare at them when i see one

3. the cost to hp ratio on these cars suck, you will never break 300 whp with bolt ons

4. any older car will have issues, depending on year you might have to drop trans to replace the slave cylinder. figure about grand for a set of tires

5. good shocks and springs is all you need

also, thank you for breaking up your post.... i hate when people type one huge paragraph, makes it harder to read
Old 09-29-2016, 05:20 AM
VenomGT9

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm pretty biased as I'm a firm believer that everyone needs to have a POS first car so they can learn and appreciate the care/use of them.
That said, the older Z/G lineup is getting super cheap these days and is quite enticing for the younger crown.
As Trav mentioned, insurance is going to be a awful due to age and type of vehicle so that would be my first step.
The following users liked this post:
CK_32 (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:42 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased an 07' when I was 21 and working full time while in school. It was fun, but it was a mistake. I wasted a lot of money that I wish I had now. My opinion is that you should either:

1) buy something cheap and reliable as your first car. If you're looking for "fun" in a car then buying something manual may be enough for now.
2) get the Z but remember where you came from. You're already worried about spending money but you want to buy a used sports car and you're already talking about modding it.

If you're prepared to pay to play then go for it. But I think down the road you'd be happier knowing that you made a smarter financial decision. I wish I did.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 AM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

My first car was a dodge stealth at 17.

Don't worry about trying to keep up with someone. Thats a life long expensive game, and there will always be someone with more money and time then you.

Dont take it the wrong way. The 350 has more power and performance then a 19 year old can use. You won't out grow anytime soon. To speak of reliability I have a 10 year old Z that im tracking now and it hasn't let me down (I have replaced a lot of wear out parts though, which can get expensive). I know a one lead instructor that's had his z since 04 and tracks it regularly and its also his daily. It's only left him stranded once.

Don't forget it is a sports car, and has limited room. I've had trouble packing it to go to a simple weekend outing.

Just think about what you want vs what you need and how you plan to use it. I have three other vehicles, so if Betsy breaks so be it.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:49 AM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
I'm pretty biased as I'm a firm believer that everyone needs to have a POS first car so they can learn and appreciate the care/use of them.
That said, the older Z/G lineup is getting super cheap these days and is quite enticing for the younger crown.
As Trav mentioned, insurance is going to be a awful due to age and type of vehicle so that would be my first step.
98 corolla 245k miles. Clear coat flaking off, door handles broke, exhaust bent, and MIL on permanently. The only vehicle I have that always works and doesn't back talk me! paid $800 5 years ago
The following users liked this post:
WYZIWYG (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 06:15 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

It'll be just as good of a first car as any other really.

It can be fun but don't add to the growing list of "I'm 19 and crashed my Z showing off" club. Cause apparently kids can't keep these on the road for too long. They aren't powerful but powerful enough to land a lot of guys in trouble when pride needs some boosting.

But I'd say it wouldn't be a bad first car, but wouldn't be a great one either.

But remember your car might be cool showing off, but it's extra lame if you crash it in front of everyone trying to look cool and then are left with a big bill and an ugly wrecked car.

Last edited by CK_32; 09-29-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:41 AM
yosip1115

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You're going to get pulled over for speeding at stop signs. You're going to be harassed for no reason. They will try to teach you a lesson until you are a bit older. Prepare for it. Be respectful even though they may not be for a while.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:49 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Agree with everyone here.

So long as you respect the car (and more importantly, the people around you), prepare for maintenance issues at higher-than-a-Honda-Accord prices, then why not...

My first car was a 1961 Pontiac Tempest with a half of a V8 POS engine (was a 389 cut in half.....seriously) that I barely got running before it got junked from the front of my house out of respect for my father who pretty much demanded that I "move that piece of sh*t, son".

Back on topic.... $14k is a pretty good budget for a first car. I'd plan on spending no more than about $10-11k and keep the rest for first and second year maintenance issues. Note I didn't say "mods". Do that later, after you learn the car.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:18 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

If he has 14k and gets an HR he can break 300.

Although instead of doing that, he should:
change fluids
bushings
sparkplugs
save up for cam shaft sensors and windows motors going bad
keeping a GOOD set of tires that can handle rain well on the car at all times (Bridgestone S0-4s are a good start)

Things to understand about this car, drivetrain wise its very reliable up to 250k, but the little things can bite you hard. Mods are very expensive for this car and you will not get much power out of them. (260-280HP on a DE and 295-315HP on an HR with minor bolt ons and a tune at the wheels) You can't afford to turbo this car, nor will you in the near future. If you want to spend 5k and turbo something later find a different car these will not work that way. Expect to need around 15-20k to turbo it.

The interior paint in this car sucks. It will scratch and look like crap.
At 19 your insurance will be super high. Especially in the city.

If you are dead set on a Z try to find a 2007-2008 with the HR engine in it. Put whatever exhaust you want on it and just enjoy the power it has. Never cheap out on tires for this car. I'd rather spend 1800 bucks on new tires for my car then buy a new cold air intake. Pay for good oil and change often. It will last you a long time.

Last edited by NiLL; 09-29-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:44 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,044 Likes on 6,510 Posts

i never did on mine.... but it was also a mustang dyno, never put it on a dynojet
Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 AM
Zax

I shared a Saturn SL1 with my sister for the first 12 months of driving on permit. After that I went ahead, and got my Z at 17. It's not a bad choice as long as you can appreciate the power of the car, and know how a car in general rides, drives, and operates. But that is a rule of thumb for all cars imo. (btw I'm 18 now, A damn younglin)

Albeit Good Luck no matter which route you go!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:30 PM
terrj

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Buy whatever you want, its your money and treat it with respect and you will do just fine.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:36 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

For 14k there are better, economical safer car than the 350z. I wouldnt get my kid a 350z as a first car. But that's just me.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:01 PM
Firebase99

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Abso-fricking-lutely!! Roll bar, Turbonator, CAI and lots of stickers. Grab a Monster drink and start drifting!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

You have a very high risk of wrecking the car within the first 6 months. Newbs tend to have very large egos thinking they can handle the car and instead end up stuck to a pole on Thanksgiving.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Corvett z07

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same boat as you earlier this year...
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-...ly-driver.html

I was 19 and looking for something different, at least around where I live, and came across the Z platform. Looked into them, researched the hell out of them (I hate surprises) and ended up getting one. I drove 5 hours away from where I live to get it because I was so bent on getting one and getting rid of my camaro. 5 months later, still driving it everyday and hasn't let me down at all yet, with a good 23mpg to go along with the commute to and from school and work.

14k is a hefty first car price, I'm not going to lie. Especially if it's going to be your first car that's rear wheel drive with you living in Chicago... I personally would probably not go over 5-7k for a first car. Especially if you're paying for insurance, gas, maintenance, etc. But that's just me.

As far as modding goes...you can have a hell amount of fun with a car having under 200hp at the crank, you've experienced it yourself. I think it's more fun, and a money saver too, to push a car to its limits in stock form. It's realizing that you can extract everything it has to offer and perfecting your driving skills with it stock, that's extremely fun for me.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you to not buy one or buy one, that's ultimately your decision. Take your time, research them and other cars in your price range, and then come back here with updates because I want to see what you went with

Quick facts about me when I got my Z at 19... I paid cash for mine, so far I haven't spent a penny for repairs, premium gas sucks at 54 cents more per gallon than regular gas, I've put 6,000 miles on it so far, just bought stock rims for winter tires (yes winter tires for the winter, basically a necessity), insurance was only $45 more every 6 months for the Z under my name than my camaro, under my name as well. (depends on where you live though), and I've autocrossed it once to really see where its limits are and to see how to handle it when it breaks loose.

Good luck
Old 09-29-2016, 06:08 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

A rear wheel drive sports car is a good second car if you live where it snows. I would vote small or mid size awd/4wd SUV then get the 350 when you have a garage and only use it when its nice out. I daily my trucks or suv's, the sports cars are for fun only.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

^^ that is actually a really good point
Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 AM
hmongician

As a 19 year old with a G35 (Same car basically), I'd say a 350z is a good car. If you're going to buy one with the Vq35de motor, you won't be able to make power, unless u go turbo. So if you do want to build up your car with bolt on, get a HR. But the car is fast enough for what it is.

Reliability is pretty good for dd. Crank Shaft sensor goes out around 100k Miles and its like a $300 job at a shop. Lower control arm bushings goes out around 90k, and its like a $250 job at a shop. If you're pushing your car a lot with a heavy tune, a coil pack is gonna blow. Don't know how much that is.

As long as you don't act like an idiot in public, you'll be fine. You can get in trouble in any car, but sport cars just get you noticed more. Only problem with this car is how much money you want to spend. If you want to mod it, you'll spend a lot of money.

If you want to lower it, I'd say just go to coils because you're going to need a camber kit anyway. So lowering springs $200-300, camber kit $450-600, alignment $100 because you have to go to a "special" lift if you're lowered. so all together $800 cheapest.
Coilovers are gonna be generally $850-$1200, $600 (Tein basic coils only). Because must coils have front camber adjusters already, you'll only need rear camber kits, so $160, Alignment $100. Altogether it's $1200.
So its a $400 difference, but even if you go with springs, chances are shocks are going to go out soon (a year or so), unless you get Tein S Techs ($250) or Swift Springs ($325) they'll last a little longer. Shocks are gonna cost at least $300. So in the end, you'll be paying the same as coilovers.

You can get a decent set of tires for 18s for $650, and if you want 19s $720. That's all the info I have from owning my G35.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a 350z for my first car?