Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Please help p0021

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Tonysloth

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Please help p0021

I've been a Z owner since 2011 and have used my350z religiously. Just using the search features I have been able to get tons of advice and solve issues. I've read just about everything I could in regards to the code p0021 with no solution. I'm hoping someone could help. I'm at 134,000, at 125k I got the clutch changed to the exedy oem clutch, no problems with that, but at 130k I got the the passenger side camshaft position light and the water pump was leaking. I got the pump changed immediately. I had oil on my starter (which killed it), I replaced it with a brand new starter. About 500 miles later I changed the camshaft position sensor, the light went off for 3 days and came back. I assumed it was a bad brand, it was uxcell, I replaced it with a wells and the code went away. Immediately after I got the code for p0021 and my idle would drop when I came to a stop. So I cleaned the maf sensor, tb, and also replaced the driver side cam sensor. P0021 was still there, I change the oil every 3000 miles and just did an oil change, so I added some seafoam to possibly clean the vvt solenoid and the car got p0300 immediately. After 100 miles I changed the oil and filter again, my oil is always pretty clean, this time it was really dark. After changing to new oil the p0300 code instantly went away. The p0021 code is still there, it appears the oil on the starter might have been a slow leak from the passenger valve cover, I've never had any oil leak under my car. Any idea what could be causing this? The car runs great, my oil pressure seems as good as always, and when I look into the valve cover via oil fill, everything looks brand new and clean in there. What would be my next course of action? I really want to avoid the dealer if possible but I need a smog check this week.

Last edited by Tonysloth; 04-22-2017 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Tonysloth

Bump
Old 04-23-2017, 02:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,290 Likes on 894 Posts

There's no chance we can diagnose this from behind a keyboard. If you need an emissions test this week, there's no alternative than to take it to a Nissan dealer ASAP.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonysloth
I've been a Z owner since 2011 and have used my350z religiously. Just using the search features I have been able to get tons of advice and solve issues. I've read just about everything I could in regards to the code p0021 with no solution. I'm hoping someone could help. I'm at 134,000, at 125k I got the clutch changed to the exedy oem clutch, no problems with that, but at 130k I got the the passenger side camshaft position light and the water pump was leaking. I got the pump changed immediately. I had oil on my starter (which killed it), I replaced it with a brand new starter. About 500 miles later I changed the camshaft position sensor, the light went off for 3 days and came back. I assumed it was a bad brand, it was uxcell, I replaced it with a wells and the code went away. Immediately after I got the code for p0021 and my idle would drop when I came to a stop. So I cleaned the maf sensor, tb, and also replaced the driver side cam sensor. P0021 was still there, I change the oil every 3000 miles and just did an oil change, so I added some seafoam to possibly clean the vvt solenoid and the car got p0300 immediately. After 100 miles I changed the oil and filter again, my oil is always pretty clean, this time it was really dark. After changing to new oil the p0300 code instantly went away. The p0021 code is still there, it appears the oil on the starter might have been a slow leak from the passenger valve cover, I've never had any oil leak under my car. Any idea what could be causing this? The car runs great, my oil pressure seems as good as always, and when I look into the valve cover via oil fill, everything looks brand new and clean in there. What would be my next course of action? I really want to avoid the dealer if possible but I need a smog check this week.

- Found this pretty easy: https://www.autocodes.com/p0021_nissan.html
Check it out.
- I know this might sound too simple, but did you try replacing your PCV valve?
- Sooo now you've got an oil leak and you think it's coming from your passenger side valve cover, and you don't see any oil under the car... could be pooling in your splash guard, ya never know. So remove it and check it out. Now look at your engine.. With a good flashlight follow the trail of oil(if any)at the bottom of your engine in reverse the best you can. could be coming from a couple places in the back. eg: rear main seal, valve cover gasket. if you find it, replace the part.

That's all I got for now. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM
Tonysloth

I ordered new vvt solenoids that came today in going to install those right now. The pcv valve hasn't been changed the life of the car as far as I know so I'll go ahead and replace that as well. I just replaced my engine splash shield last week with the ZSpeed and there was no significant oil there either, I did trace it up and it appears to be leaking from the valve cover. The spark plugs have never been changed so I ordered ngk iridium ix plugs that will be here Tuesday, that is when I'll check if the plug seals are still good. If they are, ill just get a new gasket for the valve cover and if not I guess I'll be stuck buying a new cover. If I change the pcv valve, both vvt solenoids, both camshaft sensors, crank sensor, and the problem still exists with the p0021 code is there anything else that could be causing it? I understand you can't exactly diagnose from behind a keyboard but surely someone with a vq35de has gotten the dreaded p0021 code and found a solution other than what I am doing. Thank you for the replies I really do appreciate the help.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:47 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Hope this helps-

https://my350z.com/forum/tags/p0021.html
Old 04-24-2017, 08:00 AM
Atreyu'z 350

I ordered new vvt solenoids that came today in going to install those right now. The pcv valve hasn't been changed the life of the car as far as I know so I'll go ahead and replace that as well. I just replaced my engine splash shield last week with the ZSpeed and there was no significant oil there either, I did trace it up and it appears to be leaking from the valve cover. The spark plugs have never been changed so I ordered ngk iridium ix plugs that will be here Tuesday, that is when I'll check if the plug seals are still good. If they are, ill just get a new gasket for the valve cover and if not I guess I'll be stuck buying a new cover. If I change the pcv valve, both vvt solenoids, both camshaft sensors, crank sensor, and the problem still exists with the p0021 code is there anything else that could be causing it? I understand you can't exactly diagnose from behind a keyboard but surely someone with a vq35de has gotten the dreaded p0021 code and found a solution other than what I am doing. Thank you for the replies I really do appreciate the help.

Good stuff.
- And you don't have to replace your valve covers if you find oil in your spark plug wells either. Go pick up a 1 7/8 hole saw bit and drill out the plastic baffle(VERY CAREFULLY)inside the valve cover to expose the plug seal. Drilling the 1 7/8in hole will allow you to pull the seal to replace. See below..
Old 04-24-2017, 08:03 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Also. DO NOT TRY TO PULL OFF THE PLASTIC BAFFLE. Just drill it.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Also.. AGAIN. lol PC's here at work won't let me edit my post. Anyway, I would also start the hole saw by hand first to create a starter groove instead of using the drill first, just so the drill doesn't get outta control. =]
Old 04-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Tonysloth

Originally Posted by jhc
I searched and read literally every post but it appears when people find the solution they never come back and share their findings. I will definitely break the trend and report back.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tonysloth:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-24-2017), jhc (04-25-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:28 AM
Tonysloth

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Also.. AGAIN. lol PC's here at work won't let me edit my post. Anyway, I would also start the hole saw by hand first to create a starter groove instead of using the drill first, just so the drill doesn't get outta control. =]
Thanks I'm probably going to try this for sure. What size is the gasket to replace it with? I probably can't walk into a Napa or autozone and ask for the vehicle specific one since it is not serviceable.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 AM
Atreyu'z 350

If you still get the code after replacing those parts; assuming you've replaced(or verified if working)the parts under the ''possible causes'' in the links we've provided, I would change the oil and filter AGAIN. This time with the recommended oil as it states in the owners manual, then reset the ECU again. If that still doesn't correct the issue, I honestly do not know(at this point)and I don't want to give you false info just so I sound knowledgeable. But lets take it in steps and not jump the gun or think in ''what ifs''. Replace the parts, then let us know.

Matt
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Atreyu'z 350

I searched and read literally every post but it appears when people find the solution they never come back and share their findings. I will definitely break the trend and report back.

loll right??
Old 04-24-2017, 11:00 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Thanks I'm probably going to try this for sure. What size is the gasket to replace it with? I probably can't walk into a Napa or autozone and ask for the vehicle specific one since it is not serviceable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321939239321...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These are for the '03 - '06 350z. I don't know what year your car is but just key in 2007 or 2008 350z spark plug tube seal and there ya go.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:35 AM
Tonysloth

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321939239321...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These are for the '03 - '06 350z. I don't know what year your car is but just key in 2007 or 2008 350z spark plug tube seal and there ya go.
Thank you. Yeah I'm sorry I gave so much info and not the year. I have a 2003 touring 6mt
Old 04-24-2017, 11:48 AM
Tonysloth

If you still get the code after replacing those parts; assuming you've replaced(or verified if working)the parts under the ''possible causes'' in the links we've provided, I would change the oil and filter AGAIN. This time with the recommended oil as it states in the owners manual, then reset the ECU again. If that still doesn't correct the issue, I honestly do not know(at this point)and I don't want to give you false info just so I sound knowledgeable. But lets take it in steps and not jump the gun or think in ''what ifs''. Replace the parts, then let us know.

Matt
So I changed the camshaft sensors, crank sensor, and both valve timing solenoids. One of the bolts broke, so now I'm waiting on new bolts. Universal Nissan will have them tomorrow.

Anyone have advice on replacing the solenoid? Do you use any gasket sealer? I just wiped the area where the gasket goes with a shop towel, and bolted the solenoid, started the car and oil was leaking from both I tried to retighten them but one of the six bolts stretched and snapped off before getting to the 96flbs.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Atreyu'z 350

So I changed the camshaft sensors, crank sensor, and both valve timing solenoids. One of the bolts broke, so now I'm waiting on new bolts. Universal Nissan will have them tomorrow.

Anyone have advice on replacing the solenoid? Do you use any gasket sealer? I just wiped the area where the gasket goes with a shop towel, and bolted the solenoid, started the car and oil was leaking from both I tried to retighten them but one of the six bolts stretched and snapped off before getting to the 96flbs.

lol No, they definitely need gaskets. You're just squeezing metal to metal. That's not good. That's why the bolts snapped before reaching full torque.

I know this is the Rev Up engine but the principle is the same.

It should've came with a gasket. I would see if the Nissan dealer has some.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 04-24-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Tonysloth

I'm sorry I must not have explained properly. They came with gaskets and I used them I was curious if I should spray then with gasket sealer or something. I got the new bolts and installed them (with the gaskets) they are still spaying oil. At three top of the ivt solenoid on the inside of them there is a little ball and oil is coming from it ill upload a picture. Oil is spaying from that ball valve and i have no idea what it's for our why it is spraying oil out.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Those look way too big. Where'd you get those? i don't think those are the right ones for your Z. Can you post a video of them leaking so I can actually SEE IT leaking?

..I mean, maybe it's the picture, but those look gigantic for some reason.

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 04-26-2017 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Tonysloth

I think they just look bigger in the picture here's another so you can see them better. I'll make a video today and upload it as well.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (04-27-2017)