Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flapping noise coming from rear/trunk area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 PM
SmokeUrZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapping noise coming from rear/trunk area?

So as I prepare for my long road trip, I want to make sure nothings wrong with my car. Just the other day I started noticing a low to moderate flapping noise coming from the rear trunk area possibly even the right tire. The sound doesn't get louder as I increase speed like most wheel problems tend to happen. The sound is also only noticeable at low speeds and when I slow down and make a turn.

Could it be a wheel bearing? I remember two months ago I went to a shop complaining of bumpsteer when I hit a bump the car jerks to the right. He went for a test drive and immediately said it was the wheel bearing right after he accelerated. He kept asking me if I heard it and I said no. I think he was ********ting me as I do have a loud deep sounding exhaust which probably confused him.

He put the car on the lift and showed me how the right rear has a lot of play in it but again it didn't seem right and had a feeling he was lying. I got no work done on the car that day and didn't have any problems with the car until the other day where I started hearing a noise coming from the rear almost from the trunk.

The noise certainly doesn't fit the normal bad wheel bearing sound which distorts the exhaust sound at high speeds.

What can this be?

Last edited by SmokeUrZ; 05-06-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:29 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeUrZ
So as I prepare for my long road trip, I want to make sure nothings wrong with my car. Just the other day I started noticing a low to moderate flapping noise coming from the rear trunk area possibly even the right tire. The sound doesn't get louder as I increase speed like most wheel problems tend to happen. The sound is also only noticeable at low speeds and when I slow down and make a turn.

Could it be a wheel bearing? I remember two months ago I went to a shop complaining of bumpsteer when I hit a bump the car jerks to the right. He went for a test drive and immediately said it was the wheel bearing right after he accelerated. He kept asking me if I heard it and I said no. I think he was ********ting me as I do have a loud deep sounding exhaust which probably confused him.

He put the car on the lift and showed me how the right rear has a lot of play in it but again it didn't seem right and had a feeling he was lying. I got no work done on the car that day and didn't have any problems with the car until the other day where I started hearing a noise coming from the rear almost from the trunk.

The noise certainly doesn't fit the normal bad wheel bearing sound which distorts the exhaust sound at high speeds.

What can this be?
Did you see the free play in the wheel? Do you think it fixed itself?
Old 05-06-2017, 07:38 PM
SmokeUrZ

Yes, but he didnt show me the other side, just the supposedly 'bad' side. There was play in it, but that's probably what is normal for my car. I really dont think the bearing is bad.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:19 PM
dcains

Originally Posted by SmokeUrZ
Yes, but he didnt show me the other side, just the supposedly 'bad' side. There was play in it, but that's probably what is normal for my car. I really dont think the bearing is bad.
Even on a bicycle, if you had play in one of the wheels, would you think that's normal? Have a little common sense, and get a dangerous condition repaired.
Old 05-08-2017, 01:31 AM
The Swede

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like the tech was right the first time and you should've done what he told you.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:59 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

sounds like smoke is in a cloud of his own... he saw the free play but doesnt think its a bearing. hey smokey, are you a mechanic... work on car every day, prob not... so why do you think the shop is lying to you?

either way, you will prob dugan the car when the bearing fails completely
Old 05-08-2017, 04:56 AM
BjonesZ33

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/614813-weird-sound-at-60-a.html#post10865398

i had a similar problem a couple months ago, i thought mine was the wheel bearing too, but it wound up just being my undertray had lost a screw and was hanging slightly and would flap like crazy, i posted a link to a thread i started with a video of the sound i had, if it sounds the same do a quick inspection under the car. I bought the car to 3 diff mechanics and all of them overlooked the simplest explanation for the sound, anyway good luck and have fun on your road trip!
Old 05-13-2017, 05:01 PM
SmokeUrZ

The reason I don't think its the wheel bearing is because the sound I'm hearing is not the standard screaming sound of a bearing. Also the guy who diagnosed it at first said it was making that typical bearing noise and asked if I heard it and I said I didn't. That's when I started thinking he wasnjust trying to screw me. The sound I'm hearing now is more a slow flap and it doesn't get louder the faster I go. You can only hear it at low speed going around turns and sometimes in a straight line. Sometimes there's is no sound for days and then it comes back. Very weird.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:07 PM
dcains

Definitely continue to do nothing until you wrap the car around a tree. Not like this is an unsafe condition or anything to be concerned with. Hopefully you can hold,out until Thanksgiving. Happy Dugan Day.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:59 PM
SmokeUrZ

Dcains and others, I never said I didn't want to take care of it and I actually just took my car to a mechanic yesterday and told him to check everything and left my car there for the day. They said there was nothing wrong with the car besides a bit of air pressure, that was it. That day there was no sound, and after I left shop, there was no sound either. It seems to be an on and off noise.

Last edited by SmokeUrZ; 05-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:23 AM
SmokeUrZ

Well currently at the new mechanic and he said theres play in the right rear wheel and showed me. We then looked at the left rear wheel and no play. He obviously then says its a bearing. The thing is my car doesn't make the screaming bearing sound that everyone complains about. The sound I here comes from rear but its a deeper low sound that sounds like something flapping slowly. What if its just a loose axel nut? He also said my left rear shock is shot after putting pressure on tire showing it bounce up and down on the axel and recommended to replace the right side one as its best to replace in pairs.

Going to ask him to check the front when he comes back with the parts. He only checked the rear and only through a jack stand since my car was a bit low.
Old 05-14-2017, 08:32 AM
dcains

I don't know what you expect from your posts. No one can remotely confirm whatever problem your car has. I guess you'll have to find a mechanic you can trust, and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
travlee (05-15-2017)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:50 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,048 Likes on 6,514 Posts

So two mechanics said wheel bearing and you still denying it. What is your problem?
Old 05-14-2017, 12:30 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

well-if you want off the wall behind the keyboard diagnosis from a non-certified mechanic who is going to guess.... the flapping is caused by the overpressure flaps built into the sides of the car -those flaps that keep the windows from popping out when you slam the trunk closed with the windows up.
the hypersprings are loose and need to be tightened/replaced as per spec. after testing.

in order to get to them- follow instructions here....(the part you are looking for is shown in picture #8)
doh- forgot the link- here it is...

Last edited by tampa_joey; 05-14-2017 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:50 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

and just tossing out this one- (slightly more realistic option) -