Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2005 Ann. Edition - HPDE Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 PM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Thumbs up 2005 Ann. Edition - HPDE Car

Edited for people with ADHD and Don't want to read the entire thread. Goal is to find a fine medium from a Summer Daily Driver and HPDE car.
Just gonna list the mods, Details in the thread.
  • Found another set of stock Anniversary Rims. Using a square setup of all rear rims. 245 RE71 (2019 season)
  • z1 motorsports SS brake lines
  • K harness bar with harness
  • Full OFF VDC switch
  • 19 row Oil cooler with temp gauge
  • Z1 master cylinder brace
  • Z1 under tray
  • Power steering rack cooler
  • Front Bumper air intake
  • Carbon Tech XP10 front and XP8 rear brake pads. 2019 Updated to XP12 front
  • Mod? Cut down the dust shields on the front and rear to help cooling.
  • Replaced Tranny and Diff Fluid. - Nissan OEM fluid.
  • SPC front and rear Camber arms
  • Verus Engineering hood vents
  • B12 Pro Kit
  • Slotted rotors all 4 corners
  • Test Pipes
  • Whiteline Sway Bars F&R
  • Auto Blip
2020 Additions.
  • HAWK DC-60 pads
  • 255 Bridgestone Re-71R
  • Front Brake Rotors
Hey All,

I did a quick intro but wanted to start a thread for my ride.
I picked up a 2005 Anniversary Edition for a HPDE event car.

I ordered some CONTINENTAL EXTREMECONTACT SPORT XL tires.

I also order the K harness brace.

I've done a couple HPDE events with other rides. But is there anything I should watch out for bring the Z to the track. First HPDE with her will be next Wednesday.

Last edited by Franknbeans; 08-11-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Alfred_Buchi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn you and your awesome yellow Z!!! I always wanted one in yellow.

I'm sure there are threads here outlining what to do on your first track day. You should familiarize yourself with the search function it will help you out a ton.

Same basics with any car before you get started. Don't take offense to any of this if you're already aware of all of this.

If you just got the car treat your first track day like a shake down day. Skip timing all together, or at least don't focus on it. This is your first chance to learn the car and its limits. Focus on having FUN and learning the car.

* Vehicle inspection - get the car looked over before you decide to go drive around a track at the limits - anything critical that isn't 100% right should be replaced, if something fails at 100 mph+ you will be one bummed out dude.

* Fluids - I never trust that the person before me ever did what they say they did, so I change my fluids with every used car I buy. Oil, coolant, diff(s), brake, and clutch. Brake fluid probably the most critical here. You WILL regret not upgrading to a decent brake fluid before you take it to the track. If you don't know what pads you have, or they are worn, consider replacing those prior to track event as well.

* Be hyper aware of any odd vibrations or harshness, watch temperature and pressure gauges like a hawk

* Have FUN!!! Keep your head in the game. Don't let your mind wander. It's pretty easy to get distracted and focus on going as fast as you can but focus on your lines and braking. Smooth is fast. You'll get smooth as you go and fast will come.

* Diff bushing is a common failure point in the Z and should be replaced

Safety wise, I think the harness bar is a bit of a waste of money. When you get more serious a half cage or roll bar or more will be worthwhile. If that harness is a 4 point (just guessing from the stock seats) you should stick with the stock seatbelt instead and possibly consider a CG belt or something until you decide to step up to a real roll bar and seat and 5+ point harness and HANS device. Google the dangers of a 4 pt belt and decide for yourself. Safety is an all or nothing thing in this game, you want to do a lot of research before spending your money.

Those tires will be OK for your first few track days. They are by no means a track tire, but that's fine because you don't need more grip right now, you need more seat time. Might consider another set of wheels with dedicated track tires so you're not commuting burning up your tires (assuming this is your dd).

Lot of fun ahead. Lot of expenses too. Search is your friend. Good luck man.

Last edited by Alfred_Buchi; 06-02-2017 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Franknbeans (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 03:07 PM
Franknbeans

Thanks for all the input.

I should say, this is not a Track Only ride, hence the tires. I wanted something that was decent for the track and street.

I've always had a four point harness in all my track rides, hence the one in the Z. I feel it holds me in the seat more and I don't have to use the dead pedal to keep me planted in the seat.

I didn't mention, when I bought the car, the oil, brake pads and rotors were just done. Have receipts, so I know it was actually done.
Also had replaced the radiator and fluid. (Receipt from the garage.)

I'll get on the Brake Fluid Monday and replace it with Motul 600. I'll wait see how the brake pads hold up. I'm sure they are just mid grade ones you would purchase at an auto store.

The track days I do are 20m on 40m off for 3 sets for a total on track time of 60m.

Last edited by Franknbeans; 06-02-2017 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:12 PM
Franknbeans

Here's the Pittsburgh International Raceway map.

Last edited by Franknbeans; 06-02-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Franknbeans

Previous track car... blew out the motor in it. I actually sold it in parts more than I paid for it.

Then I started this kit.

It has a 2006 Hayabusa motor. Wife was too scared I was going to die at the track that she talked me into getting the Z.

I also took this beast to the track many times.
580whp

Sold the Camaro over Memorial Day weekend. Looking to get a Grand Sport Vette or Used 5th Gen Viper.
Dep369 (01-24-2021)
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 AM
Alfred_Buchi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sweet list of previous rides man.

Looks like you've got a good bit of experience and can afford to invest in better safety and better brake pads and tires.

I can tell you that I agree with a 4 point harness feeling better than stock because it holds you in place better. However, with a stock seat + 4pt harness your chances of submarining are increased, and I don't mean full submarining like sliding under the belt... I mean like your body slipping down 6" and your organs being crushed by the lap belt.

In a rollover your factory belt will be safer than your 4 point too.

If you haven't seen this grid, it's worth a look. People with correct safety setups often survive some pretty gnarly wrecks.

The following 2 users liked this post by Alfred_Buchi:
kauai1800 (06-30-2017), SpartaEvolution (05-23-2018)
Old 06-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Franknbeans

The first track day went well.
Definitely need to get better brakes and maybe S.S. lines.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Franknbeans

Ok, Second track day was on Wednesday.

So, as I said before, the "auto zone" pads are not a good idea for the track. LOL
The events I run are the SCCA Track Nights in America. Tire Rack is their main sponsor, so I went with them to purchase some pads for the Z.
I ended up getting the Hawk Blue 9012 pads.

These will pop your eyes out of your head when in full brake mode. WOW. I highly recommend.

First 20m session went great. No brake fade... no issues at all.

Second 20m session, I thought I was getting a little fade in the beginning. By the end of the session the brakes didn't feel right when coming into a corner real fast.

I was talking to another guy at the track that has a more "race prepped" 350z. I wanted to pick his brains about hiw braking system. He doesn't have much more than I do already. Brembos, Track Pads, he has slotted rotors and S.S. brake lines that I don't.

BUT, this is where I got educated.

BRAKE KNOCK BACK!

I've never heard of this before, nor had this issue with my 2010 Camaro with Brembos.
I came home googling the issue, wow.
His recomendation, (keep in mind he is an instructor at the Pitt race track also.) is to do a left foot tap of the brakes on the straights to set the pads and calipers up for the hard braking.

I also read there is a knock back spring you can insert in the calipers, but is not recommended for street cars that you track. Only recommended for track only cars.

So, ideas on what would be the best solution for this? I assume the left foot tap would be it. Just have to get used to it I guess.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Franknbeans

And, some pictures from the day.
https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fc&oe=59D707D5

Old 06-30-2017, 11:50 AM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a great thread!
As I was reading it I was thinking "brake fade" and of course that's what it ALWAYS is right? I ran Redline fluid in my track day Miata and that helped a lot. And I was looking at some new Hawk pads so nice to get some feedback on them.

And I remember being told by a Skip Barber instructor to tap the brakes after a long straight to "set the pads" as he called it; but it's this same brake knockback idea = getting everything close to rotor before braking zone.

I installed the cheap *** ($80) Amazon urethane front splitter and it might be a nice addition to your car. It provides imagined downforce (a LOT) - and it did seem to 'tighten up' the front bumper - less rattles and feels more solid. Definitely worth the money. This one's nice too because it can deal with all the steep driveways and curbs with no drama.
Franknbeans (11-03-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 03:31 PM
chatcher

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Good times I saw your car there, are you going to the AI event this weekend?

Last edited by chatcher; 06-30-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:12 AM
GregDZ33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the feeling!
Old 07-01-2017, 11:55 AM
Franknbeans

Originally Posted by chatcher
Good times I saw your car there, are you going to the AI event this weekend?
Can't make it. I'm a wedding dj by trade. So my weekends are booked up. That's why I love the scca track night in America events, they are usually during the week.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:38 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by Franknbeans
Can't make it. I'm a wedding dj by trade. So my weekends are booked up. That's why I love the scca track night in America events, they are usually during the week.
Are you signed up for the july and august dates? If so I'll see you then.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:41 AM
Franknbeans

Yup. Got the July one secured already. What color Z where you in? I seen 3 in group 1
chatcher (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 05:53 PM
Franknbeans

Has anyone installed a wilwood residual pressure valve to help out with the brake knock back?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...SABEgKHHfD_BwE
Old 07-02-2017, 06:09 PM
chatcher

Originally Posted by Franknbeans
Yup. Got the July one secured already. What color Z where you in? I seen 3 in group 1
I was in the orange one with blue wheels. I may have blown the motor today though
Old 07-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Franknbeans

3rd session down. Knowing about the brake knockback. I did two pumps and the third would be the hard braking. I didn't have the butt puckering moments I did last time since I knew what to do.

The sad moment at the track. A fellow racer had to get life flighted out. He was in a continuation series AC Cobra (still considered an original Shelby Cobra.). Went air born and slammed into the guide rails on the driver side of the car. This happened right after the pits /start/finish straight. There's a 90* left turn at the end of the straight (Fastest straight of the map).
We were all unsure at the time if he survived.
No word from anyone at the track or TNiA. I haven't found anything online about the crash either.

Even at HPDE or TNiA events, bad things can happen. People, if you are tracking at these events the biggest trophy you can take home is your own life. Be careful out there.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Franknbeans

I did get some go fast stickers put on the Z.

The sicker dyno said the 350 now has 1001 HP.
Old 07-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Franknbeans

Video of one track session on 7-26-17

Quick Reply: 2005 Ann. Edition - HPDE Car