Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Capless Gas Cap - Anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Capless Gas Cap - Anyone ?

I found a stant part number for G/Z capless gas cap. Was wondering first if it triggers a check engine light. These ecus are finicky in these cars, more so than any car I've owned that's why I gotta ask. I think it's priced at $22 Not a Z/G but what the cap looks like
Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 PM
zakmartin

Received 512 Likes on 377 Posts

The new Ford I just got for my stepson comes with a cap like that. They don't release vapor, so they should be good enough not to throw a code.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 3,302 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
I found a stant part number for G/Z capless gas cap. Was wondering first if it triggers a check engine light. These ecus are finicky in these cars, more so than any car I've owned that's why I gotta ask. I think it's priced at $22 Not a Z/G but what the cap looks like
Interesting question. Don't have answer, sorry, but I'd presume that it wouldn't trigger a CEL but may get caught when doing a smog check - at least here in CA. They always seem to show up during the filler/cap pressure test. I've had to replace three on three different cars over the years (not one ever showed up on the dash).

Betting the gas cap manufacturing lobby had something to do with invoking that aspect of the smog law.

Last edited by MicVelo; 07-26-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Cool. I'm getting one.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:00 AM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

link for purchase?
Old 08-03-2017, 08:37 AM
travlee
Master
Premier Member

Received 9,155 Likes on 6,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Franknbeans
link for purchase?
google will give you many
Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Just FYI....

Out of curiosity, I looked this "capless cap" up.

Stant #41004

Gets a pretty fair number of bad reviews due to poor fit and breakage (inlet flaps). Apparently it also requires you to be deft at inserting the filler nozzle else it doesn't seal well enough and causes pump shut off. How's that add any convenience? There's gimmicks I might buy - like, say, an electric exhaust cutout - but this is surely not one of them.

Also, cannot be used on CA, OR, WA cars. Probably (guessing) that it fails pressure test when doing smog.

But who knows, may work just fine on a Z for you lazy folks. Hahahahaha!

Last edited by MicVelo; 08-03-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Just FYI....

Out of curiosity, I looked this "capless cap" up.

Stant #41004

Gets a pretty fair number of bad reviews due to poor fit and breakage (inlet flaps). Apparently it also requires you to be deft at inserting the filler nozzle else it doesn't seal well enough and causes pump shut off. How's that add any convenience? There's gimmicks I might buy - like, say, an electric exhaust cutout - but this is surely not one of them.

Also, cannot be used on CA, OR, WA cars. Probably (guessing) that it fails pressure test when doing smog.

But who knows, may work just fine on a Z for you lazy folks. Hahahahaha!
Yep that is the part number. Somebody has to make a decent capless cap. In Tennessee we get a mirror under the car, scan obd but they test pressure for the evap, gas somehow from my memory. I remember seeing them pop the gas cap but couldn't see what they were doing.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:55 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Swaglife81
Yep that is the part number. Somebody has to make a decent capless cap. In Tennessee we get a mirror under the car, scan obd but they test pressure for the evap, gas somehow from my memory. I remember seeing them pop the gas cap but couldn't see what they were doing.
Should note that in CA, they only do evap test on pre-1996 (that's PRE-OBD-II and before, all the way back to the exemption date, 1975.) Tennessee may be different if they did it on a Z33.

They pinch off the line to the charcoal canister then apply the test draw hose to the gas tank looking for fuel vapor leakage. There will almost always be some vapor leakage and there's a tolerance/pass level built into the smog system.

The cap is also pressure tested - on a different machine. An adaptor is used, the cap placed on it then pressurized. Pretty basic stuff. But ya, just yesterday, I head over to re-test and the BRAN SPANKIN' NEW cap I put on 10 minutes before I got to the shop FAILED! Tech said, "that can't be right"... re-tested and it passed. So, the gas cap sales lobby IS playing games!! Hahahahaha!