Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage Rev UP motors

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 11:35 AM
ledamv8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage Rev UP motors

Hello all! First post in here, I'm trying to ditch the kinda boring non-M Bimmer life for the Z family. Always wanted a 350z. Making a shopping list of everything i want to do to one already even.
My main question though is I found a a very nicely equipped and condition '06 Grand Touring manual. Thing is is it has 130k on it. from my bimmer experience that's not a lot of miles. But I've heard some things about the Rev Ups using a lot of oil. I don't mind having to add a quart every couple months, I do that already with my 330i, but if an engine has an oil issue burning it and such for THAT many miles, is that a real concern or reason to skip it? I'm only worried an engine might not be healthy for long if it has an oil issue with that many miles. I do just love the brembo's and wheels and leather of the grand touring and i know it has the better cd009 tranny with no grinds.

Thank you!
Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,059 Likes on 6,523 Posts

why not get an HR?
Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 AM
ledamv8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
why not get an HR?
it's been very tough to find one near me. this 06 is a fantastic price, only 8 grand. It's a lot of car for the money. If it was a bimmer , the miles wouldn't even make me blink, but im only worried about the oil issues with a revup with that many miles. My buddy had a revup g35 with 50k and he had no oil issues whatsoever, but it only had 50k hha
Old 08-03-2017, 12:03 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,059 Likes on 6,523 Posts

some of the Revups burn alot of oil, some burn none...
Old 08-03-2017, 12:35 PM
deeliciousqueen

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a compression test with all 6 cylinders, that should land you with a decision. Mine has 160k with revup engine, I don't mind adding oil and still runs like a champ especially now that it is tuned.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:41 PM
icer5160

Received 409 Likes on 307 Posts

A compression test is a good idea, but a leak-down test will give you a better idea about the condition of the piston oil seal rings and valve stem seals.

I have an 06 revup and it consumes oil, even more so with the bolt-ons I have added. If a private party is representing this 06 you're looking at. Ask them about service records, ask them about oil consumption signs/symptoms. In my situation, adding oil isn't a big deal. So long as my cats keep functioning and I pass smog, it's not a major concern for me, at least for the time being. Ultimately I plan to replace the engine with a long block which is pricey to say the least, but I love my Z and can't imagine letting it go anytime soon. For me it's a hobby/passion and therefore money well spent for the smiles per gallon I get.

Good Luck!
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
nizmo_0385 (11-14-2021)
Old 08-05-2017, 09:15 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I would avoid the the Rev-up all-together

not that it's a bad engine or good engine or if it burns oil or not but replacement parts are a b!tch to find and are noticeable more expensive once you find them.

I'm not a fan of the exhaust cam-shaft timing mechanism ...

Look for DE and enjoy inexpensive modifications!!
Old 08-06-2017, 12:55 PM
jimbucks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As with any used car there are good ones and bad ones. I wouldnt bother asking about service records since many people dont keep them especially if the diy. Why would a seller disclose any issues afterall hes trying to sell this to you. I have a revup and after reading through countless posts i pretty much think the oil burning concern is overdone. Probably some engine diagnostics would not be a bad idea however.
Old 08-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Neeleo_Z33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbucks
As with any used car there are good ones and bad ones. I wouldnt bother asking about service records since many people dont keep them especially if the diy. Why would a seller disclose any issues afterall hes trying to sell this to you. I have a revup and after reading through countless posts i pretty much think the oil burning concern is overdone. Probably some engine diagnostics would not be a bad idea however.

I agree with Jim here. You would be lucky to find people keeping service records these days because a lot of them don't go to dealers or shops for small services. I own a 05 Anniversary edition with the REV UP myself and it has a slight oil consumption but nothing dramatic. It all depends on how you drive it as well. If you put your foot to the floor all the time, well then expect for it to burn a little more oil then usual. Its not only what the car is doing but also what the owner does to the car.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:56 PM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Meh, my 06 rev up is a pretty much a drive one weekend a month on the street and track day car. I put like 1/2 quart of oil in every 1500 miles ish, and usually chnging by then due to track use. If you're driving the pi$$ out of it, any engine will burn oil. Who cares. Drive it like you stole it
Old 08-08-2017, 02:05 PM
icer5160

Received 409 Likes on 307 Posts

I can understand service records not being available for DIY people, but receipts for parts at least should be kept to a certain degree, for example I do my own oil changes and don't keep receipts for the oil, but I do keep records on the date and mileage I execute the changes. To each their own, but I will never purchase a vehicle based on the owner's testimony by itself. If no history information about the car on "paper" is available, then I would have a professional check it out. I'm a DIY guy myself and handle the majority of maintenance on my vehicle. However I do my best to keep records to backup my work should I ever need/want to sell my Z. Just my 2c.
-Icer
Old 08-09-2017, 06:35 PM
rizeld

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
I can understand service records not being available for DIY people, but receipts for parts at least should be kept to a certain degree, for example I do my own oil changes and don't keep receipts for the oil, but I do keep records on the date and mileage I execute the changes. To each their own, but I will never purchase a vehicle based on the owner's testimony by itself. If no history information about the car on "paper" is available, then I would have a professional check it out. I'm a DIY guy myself and handle the majority of maintenance on my vehicle. However I do my best to keep records to backup my work should I ever need/want to sell my Z. Just my 2c.
-Icer
I used to be a stickler about keeping paperwork. Then i wound up with 5 vehicles, and said f it.