Rear wheels no rotating at all - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion



2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #1
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Rear wheels no rotating at all

cliff notes:
bought a 2004.5 350z that was sitting for a few years
changed all fluids
changed brakes (07 brakes)
drove to alignment shop, felt the car getting sticky in the rear on my way there
shop aligns car, goes for a test drive and then the car stops and won’t move. Almost like the ebrake is stuck on
lift bith rear wheels at the same time and won’t rotate

any ideas?
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
CK_32
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3,290
Thanked 322 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Your pad rusted to your disks.

Put it in gear and work it back and forth until it breaks free.

Edit: Oh wait you lost these in motion. Not sure.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:37 PM   #3
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Your pad rusted to your disks.

Put it in gear and work it back and forth until it breaks free.

Edit: Oh wait you lost these in motion. Not sure.
Yeah, brand new rotors, pads, and fluid.
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #4
karlt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Williamsville, NY
Posts: 121
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Default

The sliding pins that the caliper bodies slide on maybe corroded and causing the rear brakes to stick. Remove the pins, clean them up or replace them, lube with copper grease and reassemble.
karlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Update:

Disconnect driveshaft, and the driveshaft spins freely so it isn't the transmission

The rotors rotate 1 inch left and right freely so it isn't the brakes.

When I pull the ebrake, the rotors will not move at all, so it isn't the ebrake.

I now have the differential completely off and will crack it open this week to take a peek inside. The confusing thing is that it is a Nismo diff. with minimal miles on it (less than 20k). I replaced the fluid and only drove the car maybe 5 miles at low RPM before it got bound up. No idea how that could have happened.
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 PM   #6
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (61)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,093
Thanked 502 Times in 348 Posts
Default

What brand/type of gear oil did you use in the Nismo diff?
dkmura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #7
CK_32
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3,290
Thanked 322 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Who filled it? Did you fill it to the correct level with the correct fluid?
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
Atreyu'z 350
Registered User
 
Atreyu'z 350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,362
Thanked 170 Times in 154 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoffin23 View Post
Update:

Disconnect driveshaft, and the driveshaft spins freely so it isn't the transmission

The rotors rotate 1 inch left and right freely so it isn't the brakes.

When I pull the ebrake, the rotors will not move at all, so it isn't the ebrake.

I now have the differential completely off and will crack it open this week to take a peek inside. The confusing thing is that it is a Nismo diff. with minimal miles on it (less than 20k). I replaced the fluid and only drove the car maybe 5 miles at low RPM before it got bound up. No idea how that could have happened.


Where did you get that diff? If it was broke open and the gearing was changed, are you sure it was properly re-shimmed? What all do you know about this new diff you got?..
Atreyu'z 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #9
SQuaLZ
Sleeps in 350Z
 
SQuaLZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,168
Thanked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Sounds like the diff to me. My first diff locked up on me when it blew. Almost crapped my pants when it happened. Sounded like a shotgun to the back of my head.

Similar things that happened to me. The rear wheel locked up and would not budge. They had to basically drag the car onto the flatbed.
SQuaLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
What brand/type of gear oil did you use in the Nismo diff?
Royal Purple Synchromax
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #11
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK_32 View Post
Who filled it? Did you fill it to the correct level with the correct fluid?
Yes, it was filled correctly. I am sure.
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #12
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350 View Post
Where did you get that diff? If it was broke open and the gearing was changed, are you sure it was properly re-shimmed? What all do you know about this new diff you got?..
Diff was on the car when I bought it. It used to be a "show car" and only has 24k miles on it. The pumpkin was most definitely opened before since I can see the gasket maker on it.

I think you may be right. I could hear a whining and chattering coming from the rear end as if the gears where slipping. I wrote it off to "rattling exhaust" but that may not have been the case.

Cracking it open today or tomorrow.
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #13
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQuaLZ View Post
Sounds like the diff to me. My first diff locked up on me when it blew. Almost crapped my pants when it happened. Sounded like a shotgun to the back of my head.

Similar things that happened to me. The rear wheel locked up and would not budge. They had to basically drag the car onto the flatbed.
Yeah, we had to be creative getting it onto and off the flat bed. My AAA driver was awesome.
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (61)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,093
Thanked 502 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoffin23 View Post
Royal Purple Synchromax
Sorry to say, this is the wrong lubricant to use in a LSD.
dkmura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 AM   #15
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
Sorry to say, this is the wrong lubricant to use in a LSD.
<5 miles in snychromax would ruin a nismo diff?
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:22 AM   #16
CK_32
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
 
CK_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: California
Posts: 3,290
Thanked 322 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Just FYI show cars are hardly ever built right.

Just hope the shimmed it properly.
CK_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #17
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
iTrader: (61)
 
dkmura's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 6,093
Thanked 502 Times in 348 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoffin23 View Post
<5 miles in snychromax would ruin a nismo diff?
I have no idea how quickly a clutch type diff can be damaged using the wrong fluid. You'll be able to determine THAT when you disassemble and inspect the LSD.
dkmura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #18
SQuaLZ
Sleeps in 350Z
 
SQuaLZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 3,168
Thanked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoffin23 View Post
<5 miles in snychromax would ruin a nismo diff?
Nissan using the wrong fluid in my transmission caused it to blow in under 50 miles...
SQuaLZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #19
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkmura View Post
I have no idea how quickly a clutch type diff can be damaged using the wrong fluid. You'll be able to determine THAT when you disassemble and inspect the LSD.
I use royal purple synchromax in all my cars. Both the transmission and differential. I use it in my track cars (all BMWs). Never have I had or heard of this fluid ruining a diff if <5 miles under minimal load. Then again, if this truly is a result of the wrong fluid, I am going to feel like an idiot.

What is the proper weighting for a nismo diff? The car is going to be making around stock power. Maybe 15-20hp more to the wheels after I get it re-tuned.
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
bcoffin23
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: LONG BEACH
Posts: 61
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQuaLZ View Post
Nissan using the wrong fluid in my transmission caused it to blow in under 50 miles...
What fluid caused it to blow?
bcoffin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rotating squeek sound from rear passenger side wheel xz350zx Brakes & Suspension 5 07-22-2014 08:48 PM
Weird rotating rubbing sound from rear kaminariZ Maintenance & Repair 11 12-30-2011 03:55 PM
Rotating tires? rockinar 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z 7 04-22-2005 08:50 PM
rotating tires/wheels with all 8.5's steve72852 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z 2 04-26-2004 10:16 AM
Rotating Display of Temperature drivebywire 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z 3 11-24-2002 01:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:01 PM.


Copyright ©2002 - 2017, MY350Z.COM All Rights Reserved. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: