Rear wheels no rotating at all

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuaLZ
I mean... I don't think it is really fault on either side. How were you to notice that? And maybe the previous owner should have mentioned it, but maybe they thought that it would be fine.

Just chalk it up as one of those unfortunate events and fix it so you can enjoy the car.
Sorry- not buying it (literally). It's up to each buyer to inspect (or pay someone who knows what they're doing) a car BEFORE they buy. Besides the silicone plug, there'd be other signs that a diff cooler was previously installed and removed. As the OP says, it was an oversight on his part.

As the saying goes: caveat emptor.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 AM
bcoffin23

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean... I don't think it is really fault on either side. How were you to notice that? And maybe the previous owner should have mentioned it, but maybe they thought that it would be fine.

Just chalk it up as one of those unfortunate events and fix it so you can enjoy the car.
Yeah, I am not upset. I have a VLSD in there now and am just happy the car is finally driving! I plan to take it to Big Willow on 1/28. The NISMO diff will be getting rebuilt soon.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 AM
bcoffin23

Originally Posted by dkmura
Sorry- not buying it (literally). It's up to each buyer to inspect (or pay someone who knows what they're doing) a car BEFORE they buy. Besides the silicone plug, there'd be other signs that a diff cooler was previously installed and removed. As the OP says, it was an oversight on his part.

As the saying goes: caveat emptor.
Yeah, I have never had a reason to check the drain and fill plugs on a diff when buying a car. Lesson learned.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:38 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bcoffin23
Yeah, I have never had a reason to check the drain and fill plugs on a diff when buying a car. Lesson learned.
Good on ya- that's all any of us can do. Remain humble, learn something from our experiences and move on.

One story to relate: years ago, I was helping a friend after their car was totaled. One possibility that came up was a Sentra B15 Spec V with low miles that showed well. But during a more detailed inspection we discovered holes drilled in the frame for lines that indicated a nitrous system had been removed. After calling and talking with the seller, he denied this.

I advised my friend to walk on the sale, despite the attractive price. When a seller isn't fully forthcoming on a vehicle sale, it's time to walk away.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:08 AM
bcoffin23

Good on ya- that's all any of us can do. Remain humble, learn something from our experiences and move on.

One story to relate: years ago, I was helping a friend after their car was totaled. One possibility that came up was a Sentra B15 Spec V with low miles that showed well. But during a more detailed inspection we discovered holes drilled in the frame for lines that indicated a nitrous system had been removed. After calling and talking with the seller, he denied this.

I advised my friend to walk on the sale, despite the attractive price. When a seller isn't fully forthcoming on a vehicle sale, it's time to walk away.
Wow good catch! Since I am green, my knowledge is limited. There are a lot of learning opportunities lying ahead of me. Excited for all of them! haha
Old 01-15-2018, 11:27 AM
SQuaLZ

Received 116 Likes on 90 Posts

Nice catch. I would never buy a modded car. I don't care who was the prior owner. Which is unfortunate because I am sure some would be great purchases, but I feel like it's SO risky. Maybe I am just becoming a sour old man that doesn't trust anybody in this world anymore...
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 AM
bcoffin23

Nice catch. I would never buy a modded car. I don't care who was the prior owner. Which is unfortunate because I am sure some would be great purchases, but I feel like it's SO risky. Maybe I am just becoming a sour old man that doesn't trust anybody in this world anymore...
Totally understandable.

I looked at it as the cage alone is worth twice what I paid for the car, all the suspension had 0 miles on it, and the chassis/engine only has 24k miles. So I took the chance!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:18 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Any update on the assessment of the NISMO diff? I'm curious as I use the same diff in my racecar, but have never had a problem like this.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:29 AM
bcoffin23

Any update on the assessment of the NISMO diff? I'm curious as I use the same diff in my racecar, but have never had a problem like this.
Ruined the input pinion bearing. The failure had nothing to do with the differential. It had to do with the fact that the drain plug was designed to take a diff cooler line and was plugged with silicon which came out while I was driving and drained the fluid. I’ve got a VLSD in there now and am more focused on getting the car ready for the track on 1/28. I’ll repair the nismo diff after.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:32 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bcoffin23
Ruined the input pinion bearing. The failure had nothing to do with the differential. It had to do with the fact that the drain plug was designed to take a diff cooler line and was plugged with silicon which came out while I was driving and drained the fluid. I’ve got a VLSD in there now and am more focused on getting the car ready for the track on 1/28. I’ll repair the nismo diff after.
I understand the failure. But I wasn't sure if running the diff dry would also damage the clutch pack or even the rink/pinion lash.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:40 PM
bcoffin23

I understand the failure. But I wasn't sure if running the diff dry would also damage the clutch pack or even the rink/pinion lash.
I have not yet found the time to take it to a professional to get examined. To busy with all the little things to prep before the car's first track day this Sunday.