Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z p0011 p0021

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 08:51 AM
chrisz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z p0011 p0021

I wrote the second part first but I figured I should put whats going on first instead. On cold start up , the car runs fine, and throttle response is good, wouldn’t say perfect but eh. Once the coolant starts getting up to tempt, the throttle response becomes **** , and a few seconds later , no throttle response at all pretty much. It won’t go above 1K RPM , and if you put the pedal to the floor , it’ll just sort of bog at about $800 RPM. It’ll hold an idle everytime it relearns for the most part but like I said , won’t go past 1K RPM and has no power at all pretty much. I’ve researched LIMP mode in these cars but this is on another level I believe lol. I’m getting good oil pressure, so I’m not sure whats wrong. I also noticed the longer it idles and if I try to mash on the gas , the throttle body will start making a loud high pitch buzzing sounds. Only when you gas or it idles long enough. I don’t see how the throttle body would correlate to it warming up and then acting weird though.

So pretty much, the cars fine when it’s cold start, but warmed up = ****. Even with the codes in the system it’ll run fine while cold for a little bit. It does stall occasionally though, and more than occasionally when warmed up.

Now by the title , some of the first thoughts that came to your mind was oil gallery gasket/bad ground/change solenoids/check oil level. This is a VQ35DE , I changed the oil gallery gasket even though thats more of an issue on HR’s supposedly, I checked my grounds. Now I feel that I might be missing one because I have this weird ribbon cable with two metal circle ground points on the end , but I can’t for the love of me figure out where they go. I’ve tried searching to no avail. Otherwise the other grounds are there . I replaced the intake timing solenoids, and I’ve changed the oil a few times now due to constantly pulling the timing cover off. And , yes I checked the timing several times as well.

I hope I didnt leave anything out, oh and I’m also getting a misfire on cylinder 4 , but that code fluctuates to several random misfires sometimes so I believe thats a side effect of the whonky P0011 P0021 codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

Last edited by chrisz33; 02-24-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:19 PM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

The throttle body will start making a loud high pitch buzzing sounds
You probably have already checked but is the throttle body working? Also have you taken a look at the FSM to see what parts Nissan says to check for the P0011 and P0021 codes?
Old 02-24-2018, 08:26 PM
chrisz33

Originally Posted by rancor
You probably have already checked but is the throttle body working? Also have you taken a look at the FSM to see what parts Nissan says to check for the P0011 and P0021 codes?
P0011 and P0021 are VVT Solenoids , which I’ve replaced. And I’m not sure about how to test the throttle body , but like I said , when it’s cold , it’ll rev up fine . Way past 4 - 5 rpm . But once warm , it won’t go over 1 RPM unless i reaaallllyyyy slowly push the pedal in.
Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisz33
I wrote the second part first but I figured I should put whats going on first instead. On cold start up , the car runs fine, and throttle response is good, wouldn’t say perfect but eh. Once the coolant starts getting up to tempt, the throttle response becomes **** , and a few seconds later , no throttle response at all pretty much. It won’t go above 1K RPM , and if you put the pedal to the floor , it’ll just sort of bog at about $800 RPM. It’ll hold an idle everytime it relearns for the most part but like I said , won’t go past 1K RPM and has no power at all pretty much. I’ve researched LIMP mode in these cars but this is on another level I believe lol. I’m getting good oil pressure, so I’m not sure whats wrong. I also noticed the longer it idles and if I try to mash on the gas , the throttle body will start making a loud high pitch buzzing sounds. Only when you gas or it idles long enough. I don’t see how the throttle body would correlate to it warming up and then acting weird though.

So pretty much, the cars fine when it’s cold start, but warmed up = ****. Even with the codes in the system it’ll run fine while cold for a little bit. It does stall occasionally though, and more than occasionally when warmed up.

Now by the title , some of the first thoughts that came to your mind was oil gallery gasket/bad ground/change solenoids/check oil level. This is a VQ35DE , I changed the oil gallery gasket even though thats more of an issue on HR’s supposedly, I checked my grounds. Now I feel that I might be missing one because I have this weird ribbon cable with two metal circle ground points on the end , but I can’t for the love of me figure out where they go. I’ve tried searching to no avail. Otherwise the other grounds are there . I replaced the intake timing solenoids, and I’ve changed the oil a few times now due to constantly pulling the timing cover off. And , yes I checked the timing several times as well.

I hope I didnt leave anything out, oh and I’m also getting a misfire on cylinder 4 , but that code fluctuates to several random misfires sometimes so I believe thats a side effect of the whonky P0011 P0021 codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

Can you post a picture of that? ^ I think I know which wires you're talking about, but not 100%.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:34 AM
chrisz33

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
Can you post a picture of that? ^ I think I know which wires you're talking about, but not 100%.

That is not my picture , I found it on the internet , but I guess this picture answers my question, but I only read that it’s meant to remove electricity from the exhaust or something , and that people remove it altogether when installing their new exhausts. Im not sure if there’s more than one , but thats exactly what it looks like except the end you can see also has a metal circle ground point. So I don’t believe thats my problem. Does anyone know all important ground locations ? It’s hard to find a simple write up with only those without finding ground kits lol.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 AM
Atreyu'z 350

OK. That's not the wire I was thinking you were talking about. Thought you were referring to one in the engine compartment.. That's obviously your exhaust ground. Possibly the least critical ground, however, it does serve a purpose. Some say it absorbs the harmonic associated with drone, some say it provides extra grounding for the O2 sensors, some say that it helps reduce 'noise' in your audio system..
Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM
chrisz33

Originally Posted by Atreyu'z 350
OK. That's not the wire I was thinking you were talking about. Thought you were referring to one in the engine compartment.. That's obviously your exhaust ground. Possibly the least critical ground, however, it does serve a purpose. Some say it absorbs the harmonic associated with drone, some say it provides extra grounding for the O2 sensors, some say that it helps reduce 'noise' in your audio system..
i have a feeling it’s electrical only because I had another couple of solenoids that would just click whenever you pressed in the accelerator pedal. And because the throttle body starts whining witha loud pitch buzz as well. But this stuff only happens when the cars warmed up. I’d figure it would happen all the time . I feel so close yet so far . Any ground location info , maybe possible fuses , anything would help honestly. I just want my baby back haha. Been a long rebuild
Old 02-26-2018, 08:42 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Did you buy OEM Nissan VVTS's? Hopefully, because aftermarket ones tend to give problems. Also, that noise coming from your throttle body is not a good sign, as well as those other erratic idle/rev problems. Your Electronic Throttle Control Actuator might be on its last leg. the gears in there are plastic and 'kinda' sensitive. Did you mess with it in any way?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 AM
Atreyu'z 350

Originally Posted by chrisz33

i have a feeling it’s electrical only because I had another couple of solenoids that would just click whenever you pressed in the accelerator pedal. And because the throttle body starts whining witha loud pitch buzz as well. But this stuff only happens when the cars warmed up. I’d figure it would happen all the time . I feel so close yet so far . Any ground location info , maybe possible fuses , anything would help honestly. I just want my baby back haha. Been a long rebuild

I feel ya'. And no, I don't have a list of all ground locations. You'd have to search.. Someone on here probably has it.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:45 PM
Subie_zack

I just recently bought another Z (2004 blue 350z) that has these exact symptoms as you. did you happen to figure out what the issue was with your car?
I have 3 350Z so i've been swapping known good parts trying to diag this car. I started off with the car just crank but never actually starting. learned i was getting no RPM signal and after replacing the engine harness I was able to get the car to start. then I learned that the gas pedal was bad had a P2138 code. I confirmed the pedal was bad after see the code follow the bad pedal to one of my other Zs. i even swapped throttle bodies first before even swapping the pedals. and did the throttle relearn with my Scanner. but I'm now seeing a P0011 & P0021 and the car is running the exact same as yours is. I've noticed the oil pressue at the very beginning of starting it low for a second on startup but then rises to normal and then sits fine once the car is warmed up. part of me feels that I should go in and do the gallery gaskets. because of the codes. I have also already swapped the VTC solenoids and both camshaft and crank sensors to rule them out as being the cause.