Sponsored by:

oil totally emptied all over floor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 05:10 AM
germanshepherd9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil totally emptied all over floor

Hi guys new member

Im posting because my 03 350z with 98k miles is having an issue. I just brought home my car from the mechanic yesterday where it passed inspection and I got an oil change done.

I took the car out this morning for a joy ride for about an hour. It drove good and oil gauge was normal. I brought the car home and an hour later I took the car back out and drove it up my street only to realize the oil light was on with 0 oil pressure. So I turned and drove it back down my street where I realized that all the oil is all over my garage floor and driveway. What happened? My shop doesn't open until Monday so I thought id post here and see if you guys might know what it is. The engine is also louder and making more clicking noises but I figured that's probably because the oil is totally empty and its running dry

I just had my car pass inspection yesterday AND an oil change so im wondering if they put the wrong oil in or something? im semi joking but I mean seriously ive never had a problem with this car then all of a sudden I get an oil change done and have an oil issue not even 24 hours later. Its kindve fishy to me. But im not a mechanic

Last edited by germanshepherd9; 08-18-2018 at 05:34 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:41 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome- this could be a serious issue. Anytime you find the oil pressure light is on means you should shut off the car right away. By continuing to run your VQ, you may have damaged the rod or main bearings, which is why you're hearing those sounds. If oil is all over the floor, the shop may not have secured the drain plug or oil filter properly. You can easily check this by jacking up your Z and looking at those parts. You might want to inspect it before you call the shop Monday.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 AM
philliesfan1992

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ve had this happen before when I took my old VW for a oil change at a quick lube place. They didn’t secure the drain plug all the way and my oil spilled out. My oil light came on but i was able to turn it off right after the oil light came on. Took it back to the shop by having it towed and it was bone dry. They claimed no damage was done but I heard noises like you’re describing. Needless to say I sold the car a couple months later for piece of mind.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:03 AM
liven Z life

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Climb under check the plug and oil filter... hopefully
it didn’t damage the car either way I would not be happy when I called that shop... good luck getting them to take blame if something is messed up now. Go get 5 quarts of some oil after u check those things and never return to that shop.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:58 AM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Oil filter not tighten or drain plug like others have stated. Do not drive the car, check drain plug and oil filter to see if it has been tighten to spec (watch a few youtube videos to learn how), refill with new oil. No one touches my car except me, this is the exact reason why.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:42 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Have you looked where it’s coming from?
Old 08-18-2018, 08:57 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Have you looked where it’s coming from?
this and take lots of pictures...

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Oil filter not tighten or drain plug like others have stated.
I hypothesize that they didnt tighten the filter or plug 100% and it vibrated loose during your hour long cruise but you didnt lose enough oil to damage the engine at that point. But as soon as you parked it, oil dripped out over night just a tiny tiny tiny stream and by the time you started and drove the car it drained enough.

I'll venture to say that the engine is toasted and you'll be replacing the engine. I dont think you can run a car but a minute or two without oil - too much friction and too much heat and if youre hearing bad/unnatural engine sounds it's already too late.

refill with new oil.
​​​​​​I would park the car (and NOT add oil)until you can contact the shop and get resolution from them. They might fess up and cover the rebuild/replacement, they might say it's on you.

No one touches my car except me, this is the exact reason why.
totally agree ... when I do have to give it to a shop (for instance, an alignment, and I understand not everyone can do this) I load a 'valet mode' map with no boost control solenoid influence and I set my rev-limiter to 3500rpm.

how long did you drive the car (time and distance) with no oil / oil pressure at 0psi??

Last edited by bealljk; 08-18-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:43 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

The oil drain plug or more likely (imo) the oil filter gasket. I've seen a few times where the old gasket is sort of stuck to the mating surface and doesn't get removed. Eventually the pressure blows apart those two pieces of rubber.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:13 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I bet adding a quart may show the leak really quick. My bet is oil plug was hand tight, and is not there now.

Btw, post dog pics
Old 08-18-2018, 05:33 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by tmdz
The oil drain plug
come to think of it - if it was leaking from the filter it'd have to seep through the oil pump pick-up, oil pump, and then through the filter ...

Last edited by bealljk; 08-18-2018 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:19 PM
philliesfan1992

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my issue the guy fessed up. It was his first week but I told them not to fire him because everyone messes up. It’s not like someone died from his mistake. I got lucky that I shut the engine off right after the light came on though.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:38 AM
khnitz

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

You would think the OP would come back here, review all the excellent feedback provided, and give an update on this major issue with his vehicle...

I had this happen after an oil change when the filter gasket failed on a FRAM filter (vehicle was a BMW 320i).
Old 08-20-2018, 05:57 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by khnitz
You would think the OP would come back here, review all the excellent feedback provided, and give an update on this major issue with his vehicle...

I had this happen after an oil change when the filter gasket failed on a FRAM filter (vehicle was a BMW 320i).
Agreed- but it may take time to determine how much damage was done to his VQ. The tight tolerances and build quality of these engines don't allow for much time before irreparable damage is done.

How did your bimmer fare in similar circumstances?
Old 08-20-2018, 06:27 AM
khnitz

This was back in 1991 or so - I had changed the oil, took a short drive to work and when I came out from work I noticed the pool of oil. So, it likely happened on the drive and finished spilling out when I parked or as it sat. The rubber gasket on the filter had failed and oil passed out around it (the filter had been sufficiently tightened).

I was able to replace the filter, top off the oil and then get back to the house to clean everything up. Luckily, there was no damage and the vehicle was driven for several years still before the body rusted away too much to keep using the car (darn recycled-steel experimentation of the early 80's - the thing rusted in the middle of panels with no source to the start of the rot).
Old 08-20-2018, 09:27 AM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I know this is fairly common behavior but for some reason is seems like it happens here more than other sites.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:16 AM
germanshepherd9

Op here,

Sorry it took me so long to provide an update. My gf just got home from a business trip so I was spending time with her and trying not to stress out about my car.

I don't have anything to jack my car up onto so I didn't personally check the drain plug. Those are on my to buy list though because from here on out im doing my own oil changes. I called the mechanic and they agreed to fix whatever was wrong so instead of paying a tow truck $100 to tow my car 2 blocks away I instead just poured 5 quarts more oil in my car and drove it to the shop. I figured since it took all night to drain last time I should be ok especially because The shop is very close literally 2 blocks away. By the time I got there though my oil was empty again already so I regretted driving it there. Pulling up to the shop becaue it was out again my engine was making some sounds that I can only describe as scraping and grinding. But it was only for a few seconds. Hopefully I didn't screw up.

They said it was the oil washer which I think someone mentioned above. When I drove the car home the engine sounded fine but like I said that was only a couple blocks. Im going to take it out tonight and take it through the rev ranges and drive it hard and see what happens.

Heres some pics of my car and also a pic of my dog because someone asked for one. Hes 4 months old. Thanks everyone for your help I appreciate it

Last edited by germanshepherd9; 08-20-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:27 AM
khnitz

Thanks for the update! They forgot the crush washer...ouch.

Cute puppy! (I miss having a German Shephard - but will get one again some day )
Old 08-20-2018, 11:33 AM
germanshepherd9

Thanks for the update! They forgot the crush washer...ouch.

Cute puppy! (I miss having a German Shephard - but will get one again some day )
Yea, I probably wont use this shop again. Theyre really nice guys but god forbid if that day I was in a hurry and didn't check my gauges my engine would have blown. Over a washer that probably costs less than $5

I still really wont feel out of the woods until I take the car out tonight for some fun. But even after that ill need a few months to prove to myself my engine didn't sustain serious damage

Last edited by germanshepherd9; 08-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

I haven't run a crush washer in a decade - I think it wasn't tightened. Hats off to the shop for backing their work. Happy the everything is intact. On your ensuing test drive did the engine sound normal?

I almost re-home'd a 18month year old Shepherd ... but it sounds like he has anxiety and loneliness issues and they'd only be perpetuated with my work schedule. I hope he finds a good home!
Old 08-20-2018, 02:51 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

I’ve replaced my crush washer once in 160k miles

great looking long coat GSD

Last edited by terrasmak; 08-20-2018 at 02:52 PM.

Quick Reply: oil totally emptied all over floor