Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Exhaust? Muffler Delete or Cat Delete? No budget.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:25 PM
Kevin Skene

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Exhaust? Muffler Delete or Cat Delete? No budget.

Lol.

I deserve hate for even making this thread, but my question is genuine! Read on.

Currently I am NA with stock headers, test pipes, Y pipe (dual 2.5" to single 3"), then 3" open out the back. I welded in a "Vibrant Performance 'Ultra Quiet Resonator'" - It didn't do ****.

I want to quiet this trumpet down while still keeping performance gains over a completely stock exhaust system (after tuning).

-Open exhaust and stock muffler?
-Or stock exhaust and no muffler?

I'm open to having conversations about different exhaust kits that are available. But my whole thing is being able to drive the car around the track without ear plugs in.

It's not a street driven car, it's not a show car, it's a drift car that cares more about weight reduction than anything else. However, i'm not getting a Tomei because they're too brittle.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:05 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,039 Likes on 1,465 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Skene View Post
Lol.

I deserve hate for even making this thread, but my question is genuine! Read on.

Currently I am NA with stock headers, test pipes, Y pipe (dual 2.5" to single 3"), then 3" open out the back. I welded in a "Vibrant Performance 'Ultra Quiet Resonator'" - It didn't do ****.

I want to quiet this trumpet down while still keeping performance gains over a completely stock exhaust system (after tuning).

-Open exhaust and stock muffler?
-Or stock exhaust and no muffler?

I'm open to having conversations about different exhaust kits that are available. But my whole thing is being able to drive the car around the track without ear plugs in.

It's not a street driven car, it's not a show car, it's a drift car that cares more about weight reduction than anything else. However, i'm not getting a Tomei because they're too brittle.
The Vibrant didn't do jack because a resonator's primary purpose is NOT noise cancellation - that's the job of a real muffler. A resonator tones down high pitches, rasp (to a degree) and unusual harmonics in the exhaust. Since it's for track use only, I would recommend that you consider a single rear muffler, perhaps a Super Trapp, and tune it with the disc dampers. Start with the full pack and work your way down 'til it's quiet enough.

Something like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3019/overview/
Old 10-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Kevin Skene

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo View Post
The Vibrant didn't do jack because a resonator's primary purpose is NOT noise cancellation - that's the job of a real muffler. A resonator tones down high pitches, rasp (to a degree) and unusual harmonics in the exhaust. Since it's for track use only, I would recommend that you consider a single rear muffler, perhaps a Super Trapp, and tune it with the disc dampers. Start with the full pack and work your way down 'til it's quiet enough.

Something like: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3019/overview/
Good advice. God damn those seem restrictive..not a bad call though.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Kevin Skene View Post
Good advice. God damn those seem restrictive..not a bad call though.
Not restrictive.... SuperTrapps have been helping racers (cars AND bikes) tune for nearly 50 years. Good stuff. I ran STs on my race cars even before they enforced noise limits at Laguna/Sears. Used them more for tuning than for noise abatement - but that was a happy side effect.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 PM
bad boyz

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Yea! Mic I remember them being used mostly on motorcycles just like you said you could remove the disk in the very back or add more disk to tune the pipe to your specifications and performance!!
Old 10-02-2018, 06:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by bad boyz View Post
Yea! Mic I remember them being used mostly on motorcycles just like you said you could remove the disk in the very back or add more disk to tune the pipe to your specifications and performance!!
Yup, they started on bikes and to this day, are still pretty standard fare on race bikes (some may know of their other product line, Kerker.) Have not seen one on a street car in some time but do see them at Laguna Seca (which, oddly enough, does NOT enforce sound limits any longer.)

Counterintuitive they are.... the more discs bolted on, the louder they get. What?? Seems like it should be the opposite but they way they're designed, an "open muffler" (no discs) is the quietest configuration. And interestingly, you can hear the difference between, say 3 discs versus 4 discs, despite them being a mere couple/few mm's thick each. "Whack but works."
Old 10-02-2018, 01:00 PM
iideadeyeii

Received 231 Likes on 184 Posts

On old 4cyl car's that I wanted a cheap exhaust with no rasp and deep tone(not obnoxious) I would buy a cheap cherrybomb muffler(used as resonator installed backwards) cheap high flow universal cat and a cheap straight through muffler