Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

TPMS Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:29 PM
Bman409

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question TPMS Issue

Before I even ask, yes I've searched but I haven't seen any threads with the problem that I'm experiencing. I may have overlooked it if so, I apologize for wasting time but anyways here's my problem..

One day, after getting off work, I was on the highway riding home and when I was like 5-10 mins from my house I've noticed that my TPMS light came on and was flashing, then went solid. I get home and check my air pressure and they're fine at 36-37 PSI so I was assuming that one of my sensor done went bad? So I take it to my local tire shop, Sexton's, and the guy there uses some scanner on all my tires and comes back and tells me that I have 80% battery life left on all my sensors and he's not understanding why the light is on. He recommended me to take it to Nissan dealership but I refuse that, I'm not trying to sell my soul.

So I was just thinking to myself that I'll just keep up with the pressure every week. So I decided one day to try Pep Boys, the guy there does the same thing as the guy at Sexton's and tells me that he doesn't know why either but this time he didn't even mention battery life or anything. So I asked him about that and he tells me that he never heard of a scanner to tell you the exact battery life. So he then resets my light. I turn off the car, and then turn it back on and the light is still off, ok cool. I drive it back home and the light is still off. Later that day, when I was going to the store to pick up a few things, I turn my car on and I drive maybe like half a mile and the light comes back on again, flashes and then solid.

So my problem is if all my sensors are good, tire pressure is good, then why is my TPMS light still on? Could it be a fault in my system? I was reading a thread somewhere online that someone mentioned that it could be my actual car battery? As they stated that they took it to Nissan and that's what they told them. I don't know if it was on here but it was a 350z/G35 forum.

I haven't tried the reset method because I was thinking why do that if I was told my sensors are good and even had my system reset by the scanner?
Old 02-25-2019, 01:55 PM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

A TPMS light that flashes and then comes on steady indicates a malfunction somewhere in the system, not a low tire pressure. Your Nissan dealer can connect his Consult III tester and pinpoint the problem. You can also perform the diagnosis yourself. The procedures are described in the wt.pdf section of the Service Manual.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:15 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Discount Tire will troubleshoot for free, even if you didn't buy tires from them. They will scan each wheel sensor to make sure each is working/transmitting. If you need a new sensor, they're on Amazon for $30. If all sensors are good, then it's diagnostics as above (or pay).
Old 02-25-2019, 07:49 PM
munkeymike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the in car display showing pressures for each tire or --? Check before and after the light comes on.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

you can always do the forced tpms reset by tapping ground to the TPMS reset connector just behind the OBD2 connector (tap 5 times in 10 secs I think). This will force the TPMS system into "LEARN" mode, and if you set the tire pressures to the recommended values in the FSM, the system will relearn the valve stem locations and pressures and any TPMS lights/warnings should go away. If you have a failing sensor, you will need to replace it and start the re-learn procedure over, after the stem has been woken up.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:50 AM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by onecoolee
you can always do the forced tpms reset by tapping ground to the TPMS reset connector just behind the OBD2 connector (tap 5 times in 10 secs I think).
What year is your car? On my 2005 model the check connector is on the passenger side.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

you can always do the forced tpms reset by tapping ground to the TPMS reset connector just behind the OBD2 connector (tap 5 times in 10 secs I think). This will force the TPMS system into "LEARN" mode, and if you set the tire pressures to the recommended values in the FSM, the system will relearn the valve stem locations and pressures and any TPMS lights/warnings should go away. If you have a failing sensor, you will need to replace it and start the re-learn procedure over, after the stem has been woken up.
This. ^^^

Technically speaking the TPMS on Z33 is a self learning/re-learning system. After triggering a warning AND readjusting tire pressure, if it doesn't re-learn by itself (after driving around at correct pressures) then you may have to do a "forced re-learn" as above.

If this still doesn't work for you, I'd surmise that there's a problem in the communication link(s) between the TPMS sensor(s) and the control unit. Bad antenna, bad control unit, etc. Only way to truly troubleshoot that is with what karlt suggested:

Originally Posted by karlt
A TPMS light that flashes and then comes on steady indicates a malfunction somewhere in the system, not a low tire pressure. Your Nissan dealer can connect his Consult III tester and pinpoint the problem. You can also perform the diagnosis yourself. The procedures are described in the wt.pdf section of the Service Manual.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:09 PM
Bman409

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention that I have a '08 Base, sorry guys.

Originally Posted by karlt
It's funny you mention that because I did read it a few weeks ago but I guess I misunderstood what it was saying, I was thinking that it was my sensor, but re-reading it again it definitely says that when it flashes for 1 minute and goes solid it's something wrong with the system. I just don't understand why all of a sudden, me not messing with my tires at all unless I'm washing my car, that it randomly comes on. But hopefully I'll figure it out with you guys help.

Originally Posted by munkeymike
Is the in car display showing pressures for each tire or --? Check before and after the light comes on.
My car doesn't come with that, I think it's in earlier years that had that option.

Are you talking about this? https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-for-free.html

Last edited by Bman409; 02-26-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 02-26-2019, 04:27 PM
icer5160

Received 398 Likes on 299 Posts

There's a detailed guide on manually registering TPMS sensors on this forum (in case you don't have a copy of the Factory Service Manual [FSM]).
Here's a LINK.

I had a similar issue with my 06 350Z. One sensor in particular kept dropping off randomly. Sometimes it was good for a few days, other times weeks. It was a brand new OEM sensor so I know it wasn't a battery related issue. I kept bringing it to my local tuner shop to get the sensors relearned/paired, but the issue persisted and I didn't want to keep bothering them with such a trivial task. After 2 manual relearns, the issue disappeared and hasn't resurfaced since.

If your wheel sensors are old, I would just replace them with new units to rule out a low or dead battery. It's true that some sensor and TPMS tool combos will give you the battery life information. But I haven't personally confirmed this with the OEM Nissan sensors for 350Zs.
-Icer
Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bman409
I forgot to mention that I have a '08 Base, sorry guys.

Are you talking about this? https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...-for-free.html
Yeah, I have a scanner tool that will force the TPMS into relearn mode, and then I can initialize the valve stems in the proper order to sync them up with the system, but thats the way to do it without the electronic tools.

FWIW, I have an 03 Touring... but I think the same procedure will work on almost every Nissan with TPMS, not just 350/370Zs.

Last edited by onecoolee; 02-28-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Tortie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I clicked on your link and followed the steps and it worked the first try. I have a 06 touring and the connector is on the passengers side, behind the lower dash panel.