Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

(idea) Sell Z for a SLK32 AMG???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 10:04 AM
perucho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy (idea) Sell Z for a SLK32 AMG???

I need help from you guys on an idea that I just had. Do you guys think I should sell my Z and get an SLK32 AMG?

The reason why I like this idea is that it won't really affect me (money wise) right now. What I mean is that it will only cause me to pay the same amount I'm paying now monthly, for another year. So instead of me paying $650/month until october of 2007, it will be more like December of 2008 (with the AMG). I've had many crazy ideas in the past, but this one is reasonable and most important my wife has already approved it.

So, this is what I want from you people (please?!?) If this sound like a bad idea, could you specify why (besides the obious which is to get rid of my wonderful Z)? I need someone to basically snap me out of it and if not, I will go ahead and sell my Z this October and get the AMG next March.

So, please help me out here....thank
Old 02-22-2004, 10:29 AM
erock

IMO, AMG or not, the SLK is a "chick" car.... (correct me if I'm wrong, the SLK is the little 2 seater coupe w/ convertible hard top right ?)

I don't know if you had problems w/ your Z, but if not, I'd say keep the Z.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:45 AM
perucho

Lol, I love that little girl dancing! lol. Anyways, the SLK does seem more like a "chick" car, but looks can be deceiving. The AMG is very powerful and plus I will soon live near the NJ coast and it will be nice to have a convertible. However, I do appreaciate your response. Keep them coming people

p.s. --> My Z runs fine, it's just that I want a more powerful car without having to get an after-market turbo or supercharger.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:55 AM
NzZ

Default SLK32

Is the german equivalent of the current mustang - Outdated chassis, outdated interior, outdated exterior, but a ton of horsepower. I've never read a review that referred to the SLK32's handling in a positive light, and the SLK is all new next year..which means the value of the SLK32 will drop like a brick.

The things I see in the SLKs favor are the sweet roof, the hood ornament, and the motor.

NzZ
Old 02-22-2004, 10:58 AM
erock

Red face

Actually, I take back my post..... I just found this:

Brabus SLK
Attached Thumbnails (idea) Sell Z for a SLK32 AMG???-brabus-slk.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 11:13 AM
perucho

NzZ:

When do you think the prices for the SLK32 will drop like a brick? I was thinking as soon as the new SLK comes out (fall). I'm thinking that if I go through this, I will sell the Z in October of this year and get the AMG next March.

I really like the looks of the SLK and I don't consider it outdated. I do however do not like the new SLK (specially the nose). I don't know, I'm love my Z but I still need more advice. I don't know, I feel like I'm in a dream (more like nightmare) where I'm thinking of selling my Z and that's why I need someone to shoot down my idea (wake me up). So far the post have pinched me a bit, but not enough to wake me up...lol
Old 02-22-2004, 11:32 AM
hhseouljah

you'll get bored with the MB, because of the auto tranny, trust me, i drive a w208 right now, and even though it's the 430, it's boring because of the auto tranny, i say stick with the Z
Old 02-22-2004, 11:47 AM
perucho

The only problem with your argument hhseouljah is that I already have an auto. Z and I'm not bored of it. I only want to trade the Z because I feel like I want more power (and the retractable roof is awesome).

How about this curb ball (to the issue at hand): Which one would you get then, 2001+ M3 or SLK32 AMG?
Old 02-22-2004, 11:52 AM
erock

2001 M3 (E46?).... Yea that one.... Why not a slightly used NSX? I stll think those cars are fruggin' sexy...
Old 02-22-2004, 12:25 PM
SharpST77

id take anything MB with an AMG badge on it anyday over the Z

but too bad i cant afford any...lol
Old 02-22-2004, 12:32 PM
perucho

SharpST77:

I think you can man. There's no way I can afford more than 650 a month for car payments, but the beauty of my plan is that in order to get the AMG you don't need to spend more than what you already pay for your car (assuming you pay as much as I do). Like I said in my first post, the only negative is that you have to pay a year extra

hmm, a used NSX? I didn't think about that one...hmmm. My only big concern is that it might be too expensive to repair ???
Old 02-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Hupperware

My girlfriend sold her 320 SLK 6 months ago. From experience, since Chrystler took over Mercades, it has gone to $hit. At 50,000 miles the car started having all kinds of electrical problems. Not to mention the fact that with a hardtop convertable it's heavy as hell. True it wasn't the AMG, but the car was SLOW. Not to mention the fact that the only girls that really loved the car were the sistas. That being said, by 2008 you will have visited the Mercades dealership for service more times than you would have Nissan for the Z... and the car will drop like a brick in value. She bought the car new for $45K... sold it 3 years later for $21K... over a 50% drop in value over 3 years isn't a good return on investment. Your Z will still be worth 51% of what you paid in 5 years.

Last edited by Hupperware; 02-22-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:54 PM
erock

Originally posted by perucho
SharpST77:

hmm, a used NSX? I didn't think about that one...hmmm. My only big concern is that it might be too expensive to repair ???
If it sparks your interest, check out www.nsxprime.com . There are memebers on there w/ over 100K on the clock w/ no major problems.... Probably one of the most well built sports car out IMO.

I was looking into X's for awhile, some can be had for a reasonable price on autotrader.... I went w/ the Z because I can't see spending over 30K for a used vehicle, but, the NSX really had pondering the idea.....

Last edited by erock; 02-22-2004 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:20 PM
perucho

But why are they so cheap? They were 81k 9 years ago (1995) I mean it just dont understand why this car dropped in cost about 57% of its initial price in only 9 years (you can now buy it for 35k). Is there something wrong with it?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:24 PM
erock

I really don't understand it either.... But hey, I'm not complaining.... I've done a little research on them and it seems the 97's and later years are the ideal ones to get... Not to say anything is wrong with the earlier models, but I think the first X's were only rated at 260hp...

Go get one... Y'know you want one.....
Old 02-22-2004, 01:27 PM
erock

MmmmmmmMMM!!! TARGA!

Old 02-22-2004, 01:27 PM
35oZephyR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove a MB for a few years and the electrical problems run rampant on these cars. It was a 1999 e320 and was fun to drive but the weight and auto transmission got old quick.

As for the slk....most MB guys I talk to don't even consider that thing a real MB. It's a part of the "baby benz" division and is considered more of feminine car. It's as if they divided MB in to two and split the cars amongst them. You got your heavy hitters CL, CLK, S, E, and SL then you have the smaller C's, hatchbacks, soon to be added mini-hatches and SLk's for the younger crowd seeking for a symbol status car. Granted the SLK you're looking at is an AMG, it still sort of has that stigma. The current SLK is very dated and what production MB do you know from 5 plus years back that is still appealing?
Like other car manufacturers they change styles drastically, but (ESPECIALLY with MB) when they do change styles the old ones get a hard kick to the curb in the aesthetic department.

Why not give a manual Z roadster a try?? I'm sure you can do a trade in without losing that much. Having a convertible and manual transmission will almost feel like having a totally different car. You can retain all the things you love about your current Z plus more. Not to mention the ZR is pretty dead sexy.

Of course this is just my opinion...Good luck either way!
Old 02-22-2004, 01:30 PM
perucho

Lol....damnit erock, don't tempt me Being crazy enough as it is, by you saying that might cause me to buy the NSX right now

Now I'm really confused I have even more options now:

1) Take the blue pill and keep the Z

2) Take the red pill and either get the BMW M3, NSX or SLK32 AMG

hmmm, what would Neo have done in this case?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:35 PM
perucho

35oZephyR:

If Nissan made a hardtop convertible Z there would be no issue here, I would just keep the Z forever. However, I love the idea of a hardtop convertible and more power. I don't know why more manufacturers don't come out with these (I know the tiburon will have a hardtop convertible, but it's still a hyundai).
Old 02-22-2004, 01:43 PM
erock

Originally posted by perucho
Lol....damnit erock, don't tempt me Being crazy enough as it is, by you saying that might cause me to buy the NSX right now

Now I'm really confused I have even more options now:

1) Take the blue pill and keep the Z

2) Take the red pill and either get the BMW M3, NSX or SLK32 AMG

hmmm, what would Neo have done in this case?

Hey I'm just here to help....

You know the choice (NSX) is all up to you (TargaNSX).... So don't feel pressured (SuperchargedNSX) into getting something (WidebodyNSX) you really don't want....

Quick Reply: (idea) Sell Z for a SLK32 AMG???