Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

HELP: The infamous Bose amp cutting out issue...What to do ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM
3_dead_trolls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP: The infamous Bose amp cutting out issue...What to do ?!?!

Soooo, Im sure quiet a few of you have dealt with this issue and read posts on the fixes (temp and permanent).

I myself have been dealing with the issue for a couple of years now. All of my setup is stock (Bose). I have tried the cardboard on relay fix a couple of years ago, which fixed the issue for a while but now its back... and ofcourse its super annoying.

I took it to a local shop who recommended me getting a new Bose amp. I found a used one on ebay and tried it out on my car...same issue Super frustrating.

They are now recommending that i buy a "new" Bose amp which will apparently fix the amp & the sub going in / out issue, but im not confident that it will be a permanent fix as its the the same part (bose amp) again and will fail eventually. The price i was quoted for the new bose amp is $300 bucks.

I also went to an aftermarket stereo shop. They pretty much told me to either replace the sub (but it will use the same bose amp) which probably wont fix the issue or replace the bose amp for an aftermarket one for which i will need to get a new head unit as well. (total cost including labor = $700).

The Z is my daily and i dont particularly want to drop this much money ($700) to change the whole setup to aftermarket (rather spend the $$ on my weekend car) I haven't yet gone to a dealership yet but was thinking about doing that next.

Do any of you have any other fixes they have tried for this particular issue? Thoughts? Am i missing something?

Thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 11:41 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by 3_dead_trolls
Soooo, Im sure quiet a few of you have dealt with this issue and read posts on the fixes (temp and permanent).

I myself have been dealing with the issue for a couple of years now. All of my setup is stock (Bose). I have tried the cardboard on relay fix a couple of years ago, which fixed the issue for a while but now its back... and ofcourse its super annoying.

I took it to a local shop who recommended me getting a new Bose amp. I found a used one on ebay and tried it out on my car...same issue Super frustrating.

They are now recommending that i buy a "new" Bose amp which will apparently fix the amp & the sub going in / out issue, but im not confident that it will be a permanent fix as its the the same part (bose amp) again and will fail eventually. The price i was quoted for the new bose amp is $300 bucks.

I also went to an aftermarket stereo shop. They pretty much told me to either replace the sub (but it will use the same bose amp) which probably wont fix the issue or replace the bose amp for an aftermarket one for which i will need to get a new head unit as well. (total cost including labor = $700).

The Z is my daily and i dont particularly want to drop this much money ($700) to change the whole setup to aftermarket (rather spend the $$ on my weekend car) I haven't yet gone to a dealership yet but was thinking about doing that next.

Do any of you have any other fixes they have tried for this particular issue? Thoughts? Am i missing something?

Thanks
Having a second amp exhibit the exact same problems should tell you something. Like maybe its not the amp. Probably something in the HU, maybe pre-amp circuitry, wiring, or somesuch.

If you don’t want to replace the Blose (sic) system entirely, yer stuck replacing it piece by piece due to its “proprietary” nature.

Frankly, I’d much prefer to drop 7 bills into a daily since I’d be in that car much more than a weekend car... which would have an exhaust based “sound system” for enjoyment. 😆
Old 05-20-2019, 03:17 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought the microphone under the steering wheel had something to do with the volume and bass levels in the Bose setup. I remember some threads a long time ago (late 00s) where people were replacing the microphone with a resistor to prevent the volume and bass fluctuations. You might want to look into that too. I have the 2 Bose amps sitting in a box in my basement, both have been used for maybe a couple months, before I remeoved them and replaced the entire system with aftermarket equipment. If you need them, they are yours for a fair price. I guarantee they work and have low hours.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:29 PM
3_dead_trolls

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Having a second amp exhibit the exact same problems should tell you something. Like maybe its not the amp. Probably something in the HU, maybe pre-amp circuitry, wiring, or somesuch.

If you don’t want to replace the Blose (sic) system entirely, yer stuck replacing it piece by piece due to its “proprietary” nature.

Frankly, I’d much prefer to drop 7 bills into a daily since I’d be in that car much more than a weekend car... which would have an exhaust based “sound system” for enjoyment. 😆

Yeah.....having the same problem with another amp and reading countless posts on this issue DID tell me something ! these amps are S*it

For those of you who dont want to spend 7 bills on a new system and be the kook kids on the block, here is what fixed my issue:

This is a permanent fix btw and it worked . I got this done and haven't had a single issue

Cheers
Old 05-22-2019, 02:50 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Yeah.....having the same problem with another amp and reading countless posts on this issue DID tell me something ! these amps are S*it

For those of you who dont want to spend 7 bills on a new system and be the kook kids on the block, here is what fixed my issue:

https://youtu.be/Pb-6utVaPPI

This is a permanent fix btw and it worked . I got this done and haven't had a single issue

Cheers
this fix has been around for years.... a simple search in the beginning would have led you to one of the numerous threads covering this
Old 05-22-2019, 05:37 AM
onecoolee

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Thx for this info, I didn't have my Bose system instaleld long enough for the amps to fail. If anyone needs help with this repair, I can do the work...I have a professional solder/re-work station.

If you are happy with the sound of th estock Bose, then this is the simple and cheap fix.

I have the under the seat amp and the sub amp, and Bose subwoofer, all like new w/ low usage, should anyone needs those parts for their 350Z. I have the stock speakers too (pillar tweeters, door mid, and rear mids), if anyone needs them. The rears require a close to complete gutting of your Z for installation.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:49 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 441 Likes on 357 Posts

*Checks price of my factory bose amp on ebay. Sees $30. Throws in trash*
Old 05-23-2019, 05:13 AM
ajpasa

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by travlee
this fix has been around for years.... a simple search in the beginning would have led you to one of the numerous threads covering this
I have done this fix on mine, paid 7 bucks for the relay on amazon. Works like a champ.
Br,
Al
The following 2 users liked this post by ajpasa:
khnitz (05-23-2019), travlee (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 09:34 AM
3_dead_trolls

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ajpasa
I have done this fix on mine, paid 7 bucks for the relay on amazon. Works like a champ.
Br,
Al
Would you mind sharing the link for the relay part you found on Amazon?
Want to have this handy for future reference...in case the OEM relay fails.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:43 PM
ajpasa

Sure, see if this works:

Amazon Amazon

br,
Al
Old 05-23-2019, 09:09 PM
3_dead_trolls

Wink

Originally Posted by travlee
Or a you could have made your post a bit more useful and shared the fix when i posted my question Even more simple and helpful
Old 05-23-2019, 09:10 PM
3_dead_trolls

Originally Posted by ajpasa
Thanks man! Much appreciated.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:11 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,045 Likes on 6,511 Posts

Or a you could have made your post a bit more useful and shared the fix when i posted my question Even more simple and helpful
I dont spoonfeed the lazy

Last edited by travlee; 05-24-2019 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:33 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
*Checks price of my factory bose amp on ebay. Sees $30. Throws in trash*
This is the only correct way to fix the bose anything.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:39 AM
ajpasa

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
This is the only correct way to fix the bose anything.
Well, different opinions are constructive of course. Mine works really well on a 2003 old car.
Issues are there if you want more base; and if you don't know what you are dealing with, in my opinion.

Does a 10" 250W RMS sub sounds louder and punchier? Sure.

Br,
Al