Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those who track with traction control off...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:36 PM
HRMoneyPit

Received 268 Likes on 218 Posts

I used to remove the fuse to make it be 100% off
Old 06-09-2019, 10:39 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If you almost slammed into a wall with TC off and your car is otherwise in good working condition, it wasn't the cars fault. I think you should be working towards driving it without the TC.. but as others have said.. not until you are comfortable. Go to some DE events and learn.. become a better driver.
Old 06-23-2019, 02:16 AM
fflipski

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

My 2003 Enthusiast only has TC. no VDC, unfortunately, my abs unit broke before the event and I replaced it with a junk yard find that wasn't compatible which completely disabled the traction control. ABS is still functioning tho.

My first event was fun. I ran the Shenandoah circuit in Summit Point, WV. This is a 18 turns circuit in 2.1mi distance ( twisties anyone?) , lots of camber and elevation changes, a few tight turns and a few sweepers. I want to to say it took me the first day or 3 sessions before starting to push the car in the 4th session but my instructor was making me focus on entry line vs exit speed. He was right, the Z is a heavy car and doesn't react well to correction mid-corner ( and more so when reaching 90% of cornering capabilities).

I am now on my 10th event and I would say that I have reach the "comfortable zone" within the past 2 events or so. But I would add that I have made some suspension changes to accommodate my driving style versus changing my driving style to match the car handling. Which I know is wrong but I am lazy like this anyway.

So, in my opinion, TC should be disabled for track for 2 reasons:

1. Be scared. This should keep you in check of your driving abilities and prevent over-driving the car. Being scared of the car is for me more useful as it teaches you to be within the limit of your driving skills. This is a baby step process. If TC makes you feel more comfortable , you will most likely push your driving skills too far and too fast and risk putting 4 wheels off. Over-driving is a term I used when I enter a corner too fast or too late and have to make a correction between turn-in and the apex. This is dangerous for an unskilled driver and more importantly SLOW as you give up a lot of exit speed in the process.

2. Driving technique learning: If you have traction control, you should have a LSD from factory. When TC activates , it reduces power to the wheels and disable throttle input until slip is gone. On some corners, it prevents you to throttle steer the car. Thus removing a way for you to keep the wheel on the track. This technique is one of the most valuable technique to go fast. And you'll probably won't easily learn it with TC on. It however shows you when the car is reaching a critical point and that could be a useful learning tool but you should be able to learn those limits yourself once your driving skills reaches the limits of the car.

If I was an instructor, I would ask to disable the traction control for those reasons once the student shows he/she can keep a line. If you are new to HPDE and activates the traction control, you are doing it wrong since you are overdriving your skills and your car.