Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

05 350Z Halogen to HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 03:05 AM
MattyB350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 05 350Z Halogen to HID conversion

I know this question has been posted on here alot mostly because I've read many different threads in this forum and am still not sure how I move forward with this project so I'll go ahead and apologize for asking it again. I have a 2005 base model 350z with OEM halogen headlights and am trying to switch those out for HIDs. I made the mistake a long time ago and got a set of Spec D headlights and have been paying for it ever since. I guess my real question is what parts do I need to switch these out for some quality HIDs. Ive already got a Morimoto HID kit and Spyder headlights. When I tried to get them installed at a local shop they said they would need the wires off the back of the original lights to be able to install them. I've since acquired a set of OEM HID lights and got the took the wires out of them and switched the 8 pin connectors to 6 pin to fit the input to my car. The only issue I have is on the relay harness it has a wire labeled OEM low beam input (from car) that has 2 pins but the only connector from the car to headlight is the 6 pin connector so Im at a loss as to what im missing. If its not already apparent, I have absolutely zero knowledge about this so again I apologize if this could have been asked in an easier way but any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated because I'd really hate to have put all this money into this project just to have it utterly fail.
The following users liked this post:
Golfboys_ (11-19-2019)
Old 11-17-2019, 03:50 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,107 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by MattyB350z
I know this question has been posted on here alot mostly because I've read many different threads in this forum and am still not sure how I move forward with this project so I'll go ahead and apologize for asking it again. I have a 2005 base model 350z with OEM halogen headlights and am trying to switch those out for HIDs. I made the mistake a long time ago and got a set of Spec D headlights and have been paying for it ever since. I guess my real question is what parts do I need to switch these out for some quality HIDs. Ive already got a Morimoto HID kit and Spyder headlights. When I tried to get them installed at a local shop they said they would need the wires off the back of the original lights to be able to install them. I've since acquired a set of OEM HID lights and got the took the wires out of them and switched the 8 pin connectors to 6 pin to fit the input to my car. The only issue I have is on the relay harness it has a wire labeled OEM low beam input (from car) that has 2 pins but the only connector from the car to headlight is the 6 pin connector so Im at a loss as to what im missing. If its not already apparent, I have absolutely zero knowledge about this so again I apologize if this could have been asked in an easier way but any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated because I'd really hate to have put all this money into this project just to have it utterly fail.
While this question has been asked many times in the past, yours is slightly different as it seems to pertain to the wiring harness itself. What harness are you using? On the relay harness, it sounds like one wire is for the 12v+ low beam trigger wire and the other is a ground. Check out my post here: https://my350z.com/forum/exterior-an...l#post10994098

Post a pic of the wiring if you still can't figure it out. I'm not exactly sure why the shop required the original 6 pin harness from the back of the OEM base halogen headlight. The 8-pin can be spliced into factory wiring... lazy I guess?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 AM
MattyB350z

Here is the wiring diagram which is simple enough except for the wire labled oem input. The next picture shows what that connector looks like and the wiring on the headlight itself.

The only connection from the car to the headlight is the 6 pin connector. No other wire runs to the headlight and that's the issue I cant seem to find a solution for.Idk why the shop I took it to couldn't do it. They do anything from exterior lighting to lift kits on trucks to sound systems so I would think wiring wouldn't be an issue. The dude said they pretty much only do plug n play which is what I thought this whole project would amount to. Sorry I cant provide any pictures of what I have right now because the parts are in a friends garage since they were taking up pretty much all of my trunk space. Ill try to get over there tomorrow to get some pictures. What exactly do you need pictures of?
Old 11-19-2019, 03:31 AM
Heel Til I Die

On the 2 pin Oem input plug, you need to splice jumper wires from the 6 pin harness of the car to that.

On your Z, pin #6, it should be a red/black wire, is the power for the low beam and pin #3, a black/white wire, is the ground. If you connect them and it doesn't work, flip the wires around.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 AM
MattyB350z

How would you recommend to go about doing that? By jumper wire are you talking about connecting wire to each pin and connecting one wire to ground and one wire to the low beam power? If so what would be the cleanest way to get it done. And also where does the connector in the bottom left of the third picture in the previous post go?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:16 AM
Heel Til I Die

If it were me, I would use the 6-pin OEM female harness from the back of your OEM base headlights, cut the wires right after the connector but leave enough slack to solder additional wire, and then with the bare end, hook them into the corresponding counterpart socket of the relay harness. This way, it can be removed easily in the future. For your pic that is labeled "OEM input" you will need a 9006 female socket.

The connector in the bottom left with the 2 black and white wires coming out of it looks like the connector for the DRL L-shaped running light. You'll need to tap into an open spot on your fuse panel or some other accessory that is turned on when the Z is either in ACC or ON. This is just a guess based on the pics you posted. It may help to try contacting Spec-D and they can walk you through it.

Sorry if this is confusing. It's a little hard to explain wiring with words.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,297 Likes on 2,345 Posts

My car is 8-pin so don't know anything other than plug n' play but.... this seems like an (expensive-but-)easy way out without any rewiring:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Headlight-A...EAAOSwqxdcAfS1

Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 AM
Heel Til I Die

^^^ That's definitely the easiest way to do it, but it looks like the Spec-D headlights and the relay harness that OP posted does not have an 8-pin or a 6-pin connector. As a result, OP has to manually splice the wires from his 6-pin OEM harness to the corresponding connections on the relay harness in order for it to work. It's not terribly difficult if you know how to read a wiring schematic and have done it a lot in the past, but it can be challenging if this is the first attempt at something like this.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:25 AM
MattyB350z

Ive already removed the 8 pin connector from the new headlights and switched it to a 6 pin. Not sure if I have the wires in the correct holes but i've read that you can just experiment with the placement until it works without damaging anything. I can somewhat read a wiring diagram if I could just find one to follow. If I have a picture then I'd be able to figure it out, its just finding one for my exact setup is proving to be hard.I got the ballasts from a website called theretrofitsource.com and it said this setup should be plug and play. Im about to go get some pics of what I actually have to see if that'll help. I appreciate yall's help.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:22 PM
Heel Til I Die

Ive already removed the 8 pin connector from the new headlights and switched it to a 6 pin. Not sure if I have the wires in the correct holes but i've read that you can just experiment with the placement until it works without damaging anything. I can somewhat read a wiring diagram if I could just find one to follow. If I have a picture then I'd be able to figure it out, its just finding one for my exact setup is proving to be hard.I got the ballasts from a website called theretrofitsource.com and it said this setup should be plug and play. Im about to go get some pics of what I actually have to see if that'll help. I appreciate yall's help.
Wiring schematic is located in the LT section of the FSM linked here.

Or this from my other post:

View is looking at harness from vehicle and NOT looking at the harness on the back of the headlamp!

LH = Left hand or Driver Side.

RH = Right hand or Passenger side.

Wire color:

B = Black ========

W = White ========

R = Red ========

G = Green ========

L = Blue ========

Y = Yellow ========

BR = Brown ========

PU or V (Violet) = Purple ========

GY or GR = Gray ========

1: Turn signal, power + (LH: G/W; RH: PU/W)

2: Headlamp High, power + (LH: R/Y; RH: BR)

3: High/Low Headlamp, ground – (LH: B/W; RH: B/W)

4: Turn signal/parking light/side marker, ground – (LH: B; RH: B)

5: Side Marker/parking light, power + (LH: R/L; RH: R/L)

6: Headlamp low, power + (LH: R/B; RH: R)

1: Turn signal/parking light/side marker, ground – (LH: B; RH: B)

2: Turn signal, power + (LH: G/W; RH: PU/W)

3: Headlamp High, power + (LH: R/Y; RH: BR)

4: Headlamp High, ground – (LH: B/W; RH: B/W)

5: Side marker, power + (LH: R/L; RH: R/L)

6: Parking light, power + (LH: R/L; RH: R/L)

7: Headlamp Low HID, power + (LH: R/B; RH: R)

8: Headlamp Low HID, ground – (LH: B; RH: B)
Old 11-24-2019, 12:25 PM
djnekkon

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

yes you can play with it, but I used the diagram on top on depot light with 2008 OEM system ^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-28-2019, 06:11 AM
MattyB350z

Sorry it't taken me so long to get back to y'all with some pictures. Between work and the pictures not wanting to upload I haven't really had the time. I got a few pictures of what I got so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I cannot figure out what to do with this wire. I feel like it should plug into something because its got red and black wires so I guess it powers something.

These are the two wires off the 8 pin harness that I have left. Not sure if they're the correct ones to leave out though.

This is the best pic I could get showing which wires are going into which pin hole on the 6 pin connector. I don't know if its correct though b/c it seems my wire colors the same as Heel Till I Die suggested.

I also don't know what to do with this.

Just for reference would this be considered an internally wired or externally wired light?

also on the headlights that I currently have installed there is a plug that the connector in the bottom left of the last picture in my second post would fit into but nothing like that is included on the harness for the new headlights, so how should I go about working that out?