Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade 04 headlights for 06 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 08:29 AM
davidc81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade 04 headlights for 06 headlights

i tried searching but i couldn't find exactly what i was looking for.

my buddy has a 2006 Z and he needs money bad. he's agreed to trade me his headlights for my 2004 headlights plus cash. i know that the 06 headlights will swap into my car and all i need to do is cut one of the turn signal wires. will my 04 headlights directly swap into his 06? do we need to make any modifications to the 04 lights for them to work in his 06 car?

if someone could link me to a DIY headlight swap, i would appreciate it. thanks guys!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:58 AM
DemitriHKS

Please don't cut anything! If you have anything other than a BASE Z I know that they drop right in and they are a plug and play. The only issue you may have is I have a minor gap that only I notice on my 2003. Other than that you should not have to cut anything.

Depending how much money you are giving him....that is a shot to the ***** for his end of the deal. He is gonna hate the way the 06 headlights and especially how the visability is ruined. On your end, you gonna love the swap lol
Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DemitriHKS
Please don't cut anything! If you have anything other than a BASE Z I know that they drop right in and they are a plug and play. The only issue you may have is I have a minor gap that only I notice on my 2003. Other than that you should not have to cut anything.

Depending how much money you are giving him....that is a shot to the ***** for his end of the deal. He is gonna hate the way the 06 headlights and especially how the visability is ruined. On your end, you gonna love the swap lol
ROFL, dont listen to this guy.... Cut the blue wire if you dont want the parking light to be on at all times... Gap? what gap? there will be no gap. as for retrofitting 04's back to 06's i believe if the 04's are HID it isnt that complicated if they halogen then some rewiring might be needed but this im not 100% sure about.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexx
ROFL, dont listen to this guy.... Cut the blue wire if you dont want the parking light to be on at all times... Gap? what gap? there will be no gap. as for retrofitting 04's back to 06's i believe if the 04's are HID it isnt that complicated if they halogen then some rewiring might be needed but this im not 100% sure about.

Bingo.

If you don't have HID's in your Z you will have to do the following:

(Copied from another site)

Well after spending a day researching and getting valuable information from other member(s), I decided to tackle this project on my own. I've done all the mods on my car but so far, this was the scariest. Why ?
1) Expensive
2) Electrical so any wrong move, there goes the headlight.

I will do my best to describe the steps I took and the tools that I used to accomplish this task. If you decide the follow these steps, I will NOT BE RESPONSIBLE if anything happens to your lights.

Subject Matter: 2005 Base Z.
Goal: Intall 2006 Bi-Xenon Lights

1. Wire Cutter
2. Wire Connector
3. Electrical Tape

If you look at your wiring harness from the engine side, you will see this. This is you looking directly at the inside the connectors.

----------------------
| 1 2 3 |
| 4 5 6 |
----------------------

1. Turn Signal
2. High Beam
3. Ground for Headlights/High Beam
4. Grounds for Parking Lights / Turn Signal
5. Parking Lights
6. Headlight

You will need to match up these plugs with the 2006 HID wiring harness.
The 2006 headlights have total of 7 pins. You will have 1 pin left over.

1. Slide out the connector harness from the 06 HID lights. It will be on there pretty snug but it will come out right.
2. Cut out the electrical tapes that hold the wirres together. Becareful not to cut any of the wires.
3. Once removed, look at the back of the connectors where the wires are entering into the connector. The digram below numbers the wires from the back side of the connetors. the way to make sure that you have the correct side up is looking at the number 1 position from the back. It will be empty with no wires going into the connector.

-------------------------------
| 1 2 3 4 |
| 5 6 7 8 |
------------------------------

2006 HID WIRES
1. No Wires
2. Green/Black - Connect this wire to Turn Signal (Position 1 on Base Wire Harness)
3. Lime - Connect this wire to High Beam (Position 2 on Base Wire Harness)
4. Black - Connect this to Ground for High Beam/Headlight (Position 3 on Base Wire Harness)
5. Green/Black - Connect this to Turn Signal (Position 1 on Base Wire Harness)
6. Green/White - Connect this to Parking Lights (Position 5 on the Base Wire Harness)
7. Red - Connect this to Headlight (Position 6 on the Base Wire Harness)
8. Black - Connect this to Ground Parking/Turn Signal (Position 4 on Base Wire Harness)

I didnt cut any wires at all. i used a little wire tapper where it allows you to connect 2 wires together.

Connect it matching the diagrams above and you should be good to go. Also note that you will need to change out your fuse and put in 20 amp fuse. the new HIDs uses a lot more power so your original fuse will not work.

You will also notice that you will have a blue wire left over from the 06 HID side. I didnt use this at all so leave it a lone and you will be fine.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
DemitriHKS

Originally Posted by Nexx

Don't listen to me???? You mean the blue wire that's required by law to have on there. I was there while a professional shop helped me install them. If you don't want the parking light on at all times then yeah, maybe you want to cut it. But in most states and for emission ball busting methods you might wanna leave that.

The gap??? The minor gap that I have on mine and that I can post pictures of. Like I said its so minor that only I would notice it but it's not like my originals. I did it and I did want my parking lights to be on.

Don't listen to him lol...waizzz's directions seem to be perfect and he didn't cut anything either go figure

Last edited by DemitriHKS; 05-18-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:14 AM
davidc81

my 04 lights are HID. i just want to make sure they'll work in his car or he wont swap me. if you guys knew how little cash i was giving him, you would cry!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM
DemitriHKS

That's a smoking deal for you then....I can't see why yours wouldn't work on his but that I'm not 100% on.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Xzero

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I did the swap with another member, he had trouble with the 04 HID headlights on his 06. The turn signals would flash super quick, both front & back, I dont know how/if he fixed it though. His name is Rick06Z, last time he was on was May 13.Give him a PM & see what happens.

Originally Posted by davidc81
my 04 lights are HID. i just want to make sure they'll work in his car or he wont swap me. if you guys knew how little cash i was giving him, you would cry!

Tell us what the price is on top of the swap, there's no point in hiding the price. Telling us isn't going to hurt either.

Last edited by Xzero; 05-18-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need more clarification on this...

Can anyone else chime in on this?? Im trying to install some 04 projector lights TEMPORARILY until I get my 07HIDs fixed.

I have the factory on my Z, HID connector has a 8 hole female end. The 04 projector lights have 6 prongs/the connector is too small to fit onto the Factory HID connector obviously.

Basically I know Ill have to hard wire them temporarily, so thats what im asking, the wiring diagram or how you did the wire connections....

Thanks!!

Jay