Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New tires, now body roll, need to tighten it up

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 03:54 PM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New tires, now body roll, need to tighten it up

I grabbed a new set of UHP A/S tires since I won't be getting my new wheels/tires for quite some time. As I figured since upgrading the tire compound and they stick better the suspension issues (well not issues, just things I don't prefer) cropped up. I want to tighten up the car's movements now. It's seems to, for lack of a better word, wallow. A bit too pillowy. I have the stock HR springs on bilstien b6. I was to sharpen her up to more like my old BMW.

I figure a good place to start is sway bars. I figure this would tighten up the movement a bit. The rear bar seems quite soft in comparison to the front and seems to also cause the front to understeer. Having this adjustable I feel would help a lot.

Another thing I think would help is the rear camber. I just got it aligned and the least camber he could get me was 1.8 left 1.9 rear. I threw some chalk on the tires and took a few on/off ramps with a lot of speed. Still had quite a bit of chalk on the shoulders of the rear tires. The fronts had a fantastic contact patch. If I get adjustable rear arms I could get that camber down to 1.1-1.4 and I think my contact in the rear would improve so the car would be much more lively.

Anyone else have any tips of how to sharpen this machine?

Also, is there any way to add some caster? I would much prefer a heavier steering feel.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:22 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,309 Likes on 1,663 Posts

Match the front camber to the rear makes it more fun.

Sway bars are always a nice thing, Hotchkiss bars on the softest setting work wonders

get used to the car again, you will enjoy it with the tires
Old 03-22-2020, 08:46 AM
Bmsluite

There is a set of used eibach bars on ebay right now. Any difference between those and the hotchkis? I would think bars are bars. Especially high end brand names. I could be wrong
Old 03-22-2020, 09:14 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,304 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
There is a set of used eibach bars on ebay right now. Any difference between those and the hotchkis? I would think bars are bars. Especially high end brand names. I could be wrong
Nothing could be further from the truth. Swaybars, like any suspension component, can vary widely. Thickness, hollow or solid and adjustable vs. non-adjustable are they key factors. Do a little research (there's a thread on here about swaybar brands) and try to match a set of swaybars to your driving style. Myself? I use adjustable swaybars on the Z racecar, but stick with non-adjustable NISMO S-tune bars on my street Z.
Old 03-22-2020, 01:40 PM
Bmsluite

I'll pick up some hotchkis sway bars then. I want that quick turn in and reflexes. Thanks guys