Notices
Wheels & Tires 350Z Rollers and Rubbers

Car Handling Wierd After Tire Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 04:50 PM
zachcrosen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Handling Wierd After Tire Install

I had a set of new rear tires installed last week and have noticed that the car now is a LOT more responsive now than it was. If I barely move the steering wheel, the entire car goes in that direction. This is so bad that I probably look like a drunk driver. Prior to installing the new rear tires, I did not experience this immense amount of movement in the rear end of the car.

The facts are this: I have RE040s in the front and Kumho Ecsta ASXs in the rear. The Kumhos are the same size as stock. I also have the Hotchkis TVS Stage 1 suspension package and I believe the rear sways are set on the stiffest setting and the fronts are on the medium setting.

The questions:

1) Does a different tread pattern play any role in the "squirrelyness" of the rear end?

2) Does the fact that I am now running aftermarket suspension components with "good" rear tires instead of the worn out OEM ones allow the rear end to track as it was designed to with the sways and springs?

Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Zach
Old 09-14-2005, 07:27 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

Mixing front & rear tires brands is a "no-no" but I can't say for sure it causes your problem.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:36 PM
julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, different brand tires front and rear will affect your car's response to steering inputs. they have different sidewall stiffnesses so one end will react faster than the other end. and if they have different rubber hardness then one end will have more grip than the other. it's not ideal, but it's not that dangerous if you know which end will let go first at the limit. remember to double check your air pressures too.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:45 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

1) Does a different tread pattern play any role in the "squirrelyness" of the rear end?

Not only the tread pattern, but the brand of tire also. Generally, tires on the front are more noticeable than those on the rear. Some are very sensitive to small dips in the road, and require constant minor steering corrections. Interesting that a tire which is rated high in “handling” may also be prone to “wander.”

2) Does the fact that I am now running aftermarket suspension components with "good" rear tires instead of the worn out OEM ones allow the rear end to track as it was designed to with the sways and springs?

New tires, regardless of suspension modifications, will always behave differently (not better or worse) than worn tires.

BTW I think that you’ll get accustomed to the new tires in a 1,000 miles, and won’t even recognize them as “new.”
Old 09-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Sponge

I had the same problem after having Yoko AVS ES100s in stock size (245)installed in the rear on my touring rims. The RE040s fronts (225) were still at 60-70% tread so I thought, lets keep them.

It was a mistake!!!!

I had problems with "squireliness" and trammeling, not to speak of VDC braking the front tires during corners at 50+ mph and high speed braking.
NOT FUN

I returned and got a matching set of ES100s for the front and ALL the issues went away. The old sports car addage about replacing tires REALLY IS TRUE. When you replace tires on a sports car, you replace them ALL. This statement is made all the more valid with cars that have computers controling braking for traction purposes. Side wall thickness/stiffness, tread pattern, rolling diameter all play a part in the handling. Best not to mix brands and run sizes that confuse the VDC/TCS computer. Even if you don't have the traction control setup shifting the weight ever so slightly to the front/rear WILL affect your handling.

Hope that helps
Old 09-15-2005, 12:38 AM
froggy

Same problem here too https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....hlight=tcs+vdc

New REO50 rear, stock size, but I would like to get the PS2 front in 245-40.

Mixing these kind of tires will still mess the VDC...?(RE050A front are too heavy:8 lbs more total,and I plan to get new rims soon with PS2,actual ones are sold with RE050, but I'll use them during the next 2 months with 3 track days to come.I would reuse the PS2 with the new rims.)

Thanks for reading and helping
Old 09-15-2005, 02:20 AM
zachcrosen

The reason I mixed front and rear tires is because I was planning on buying new wheels and tires in the next few months and this was just a temporary fix until I could get up the cash for wheels and tires. I guess I just need to be extra careful while driving it or drop about another $250 on fronts as well.!
Old 09-15-2005, 07:37 AM
froggy

Same problem here too https://my350z.com/forum/showthr...ghlight=tcs+vdc

New REO50 rear, stock size, but I would like to get the PS2 front in 245-40.

Mixing these kind of tires will still mess the VDC...?(RE050A front are too heavy:8 lbs more total,and I plan to get new rims soon with PS2,actual ones are sold with RE050, but I'll use them during the next 2 months with 3 track days to come.I would reuse the PS2 with the new rims.)

Thanks for reading and helping
froggy is online now Reply With Quote

Can someone with mixed tires or knowledge can answer me?