Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need help with exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Serg95

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with exhaust

I am looking into buying a catback. Looking for something loud. I really like the sound of Tomeis, but I'm not a fan of the price or the single exit. So ideally, I'd want a dual exit with the sound of Tomei and preferably something that looks like the stock tips. I don't want the styles where the muffler has a tip and you can see it from the back. Are there any catbacks like this or am I better off making a custom exhaust?
Old 05-06-2020, 04:04 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

Originally Posted by Serg95
I am looking into buying a catback. Looking for something loud. I really like the sound of Tomeis, but I'm not a fan of the price or the single exit. So ideally, I'd want a dual exit with the sound of Tomei and preferably something that looks like the stock tips. I don't want the styles where the muffler has a tip and you can see it from the back. Are there any catbacks like this or am I better off making a custom exhaust?
Did you even look?
Old 05-06-2020, 05:50 AM
Serg95

Originally Posted by travlee
Did you even look?
Yes. Of course I looked. Ones I liked were TurboXS but those are now discontinued, Motordyne but its too expensive, and top speed, but not a huge fan of how the tips have a muffler. I'm asking because I'm sure there are other exhausts that I don't know of.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:02 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Gut stock muffler
Old 05-06-2020, 06:15 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,289 Likes on 2,340 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=loud...nt=safari#ip=1

"I don't want the styles where the muffler has a tip and you can see it from the back."

and...

"and top speed, but not a huge fan of how the tips have a muffler"

Hunh? All mufflers have tips you can see from the back, what do you want then? Old school turndowns or side exit?

Last edited by MicVelo; 05-06-2020 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:41 AM
Serg95

Yes I guess turndowns. Something where you have the tips, a bit of pipe, and then the muffler/ s. I don't want the mufflers at the very end, at the same angle as the tips.I want the tips to be apart from the muffler/ s.

And I mentioned topspeed because of its price and sound, not looks. It seems to be aorund $450 and on the louder side.

Last edited by Serg95; 05-06-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:02 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Wow thanks for your help!! Really helpful!!

Yes I guess turndowns. Something where you have the tips, a bit of pipe, and then the muffler/ s. I don't want the mufflers at the very end, at the same angle as the tips.I want the tips to be apart from the muffler/ s.

And I mentioned topspeed because of its price and sound, not looks. It seems to be aorund $450 and on the louder side.
OK, forget I tried to help by providing you a my350z specific and targeted search (or did you miss that fact) based on your criteria of it being loud. Oh, and for trying to clarify exactly what you are looking for so that OTHERS might be able to make suggestions.

Forget it, you are being an ingrate so no other suggestions for you. No wonder I don't bother anymore.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:13 AM
travlee
Master

The following users liked this post:
calvin.w (05-09-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 07:15 AM
Serg95

Originally Posted by MicVelo
OK, forget I tried to help by providing you a my350z specific and targeted search (or did you miss that fact) based on your criteria of it being loud. Oh, and for trying to clarify exactly what you are looking for so that OTHERS might be able to make suggestions.

Forget it, you are being an ingrate so no other suggestions for you. No wonder I don't bother anymore.
Your initial reply was just a google link targeted with the loud exhaust in the forum, implying that I didn't even search. Again, the post was made because I'm looking for something more specific. But that's fine.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:30 PM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

No-name Ebay exhaust. Cheap and usually annoyingly loud.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:06 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Your initial reply was just a google link targeted with the loud exhaust in the forum, implying that I didn't even search. Again, the post was made because I'm looking for something more specific. But that's fine.
I implied nothing. I gave you what you were looking for. But never mind, no longer care.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Serg95

Originally Posted by icer5160
No-name Ebay exhaust. Cheap and usually annoyingly loud.
I found this one but I'm a bit hesitant on ebay exhausts. I've heard bad stories from people.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-03-09-N....c100005.m1851

Its only $230 for a catback. Has anyone had ebay exhausts on their Zs? The price is great but I don't want this thing falling off a year from now.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:46 PM
travlee
Master

You get what you pay for.... on my 350 the header back exhaust was $2300
Old 05-06-2020, 11:34 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I've owned 9 cat backs, 3 HFC/TP combos, 4 Ypipes, and now long tube headers.

If you are not spending 800+ for a Y-pipe back for a single its going to sound like ***.
and its going to be 1200+ for a good Dual like Fast intentions or HKS, Borla is quieter than stock.

Singles will be louder by far. If you want the sound of a single with out the single can with dual tips look in to the Exotic speed R1 This is a knock off of a really amazing exhaust and is still 1000 bucks.
Singles with cans, Z1, ISR, Tomei will unquestionably be the loudest.
Long tubes + Z1 Y + Tomei was so Fen loud I couldn't stand it. It was as loud as open headers.
Nismo S-tune was a good sounding exhaust, Decently loud with testpipes but you will loose power compared to one of the straight through.

Currently I have ISR Long tube headers (Ceramic coated) -> ThaiTanium SS Resonated Y-pipe -> Tomei Bruh
I use to be a Tomei hater, might even find some posts I made on here about it, Its probably the best sounding exhaust (In Person) especially for the money. No drone, No rasp, Sounds great. Titanium just transmits sound differently. Ived owned a Z since 2011 and Never once have I been as happt with an exhaust setup.

Everyone will have there opinions and i'm sure some people will say LOL ISR OR EBAY IS GOOD. Enjoy your Decel Hiss, Drone and, Horrible resonance around 3k RPMs.

Last edited by NiLL; 05-06-2020 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:33 AM
Serg95

Originally Posted by NiLL
I've owned 9 cat backs, 3 HFC/TP combos, 4 Ypipes, and now long tube headers.

If you are not spending 800+ for a Y-pipe back for a single its going to sound like ***.
and its going to be 1200+ for a good Dual like Fast intentions or HKS, Borla is quieter than stock.

Singles will be louder by far. If you want the sound of a single with out the single can with dual tips look in to the Exotic speed R1 This is a knock off of a really amazing exhaust and is still 1000 bucks.
Singles with cans, Z1, ISR, Tomei will unquestionably be the loudest.
Long tubes + Z1 Y + Tomei was so Fen loud I couldn't stand it. It was as loud as open headers.
Nismo S-tune was a good sounding exhaust, Decently loud with testpipes but you will loose power compared to one of the straight through.

Currently I have ISR Long tube headers (Ceramic coated) -> ThaiTanium SS Resonated Y-pipe -> Tomei Bruh
I use to be a Tomei hater, might even find some posts I made on here about it, Its probably the best sounding exhaust (In Person) especially for the money. No drone, No rasp, Sounds great. Titanium just transmits sound differently. Ived owned a Z since 2011 and Never once have I been as happt with an exhaust setup.
Youtube Clip Of my setup

Everyone will have there opinions and i'm sure some people will say LOL ISR OR EBAY IS GOOD. Enjoy your Decel Hiss, Drone and, Horrible resonance around 3k RPMs.
Thanks for the info man! And your car sounds great. Making me consider getting a can and getting a diffuser. And I agree. Tomei is one of the best sounding, if not the best.

So if I were to go with a custom exhaust, you're saying I should go Y pipe over duals? Dual sounds like *** in what way? Raspier than Y pipe?
And does an aftermarket Y pipe change the sound that much? Would it be because of the difference in diameter?

I'm also thinking that if I get one of the quieter ones like you said (non singles), I can just do test pipes. But in this case would you recommend resonated or non resonated test pipes if I had something like the Exoticspeed R1? I know Zs can get pretty raspy with non resonated test pipes. Oh and I'm guessing most of these exhausts were 2.5 inches?
Old 05-07-2020, 01:19 AM
DarkZ03

Received 493 Likes on 413 Posts

The only remedy for what you want is the Tomei dual. I don't get why kids these days want the loudest exhaust possible and want it to sound like *** or a civic....maybe I'm just getting old but tuned/refined over loud/obnoxious. Doubt you would get that one tho, it's expensive like most good things for this platform. I'm at $900 for headers, $500 for HFC and $2800 for cat-back.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:12 PM
NiLL

Thanks for the info man! And your car sounds great. Making me consider getting a can and getting a diffuser. And I agree. Tomei is one of the best sounding, if not the best.

So if I were to go with a custom exhaust, you're saying I should go Y pipe over duals? Dual sounds like *** in what way? Raspier than Y pipe?
And does an aftermarket Y pipe change the sound that much? Would it be because of the difference in diameter?

I'm also thinking that if I get one of the quieter ones like you said (non singles), I can just do test pipes. But in this case would you recommend resonated or non resonated test pipes if I had something like the Exoticspeed R1? I know Zs can get pretty raspy with non resonated test pipes. Oh and I'm guessing most of these exhausts were 2.5 inches?
Duels sound good, They just dont make the power. I've never owned an Nvidia Gemini but everyone I have heard sounds beautiful.
Borla was quieter than stock on oem cats, but raspy and hissy, lots of Decel hiss. You can hear my old 2006 (DE REvup not HR) with the Borla on my Youtube channel. IT sounded good other than a few problem spots.
Not an HKS fan at all.
Motordyne has so many horribly developed spots like the Y-Pipe section on the the muffler they are trying to pass as an X-pipe. but it sounds great ill give them that.
Fast Intentions is so massively over priced for how shitty of an engineering job it is. I can write a huge essay on what an X-pipe is and what it does, What they have is not an X-pipe.

Having used both types, I by far prefer 2 in to 1 with a Y-pipe. But i'm also building my car for High RPMs (370z Intake plenum, cams coming coon, Big primary Long tubes)
If you are staying NA the piping size is hard to get right because almost no one cares enough about it. Stock headers dump to 2.33" inside diameter where aftermarket dump to 2.5" *Most* HFCs and Test pips are 2.5"
If you are staying single stock headers you ideally want 2.33" to 2.5" Test pipe then 2.5" to 3" Y-pipe, then 3" out the back
Duals you want 2.33" to 2.25" then 2.25" dual pips out the back, with a properly designed H-pipe for low end power or X pipe for high end power.
Wider the pipe the more flow you can have but at slower speed. Higher velocity you have the more savaging you get. There is a balance to it.

Insted of resonated Test pipes, get straight ones and pick up a ThaiTanium resonated Y. This removed all Hiss for me (I also have LTHs that output to 2.5")

Last edited by NiLL; 05-09-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Serg95 (05-12-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:41 PM
travlee
Master

I have had the Gemini and tdx2..... both great

Art pipes and Gemini Is a good combo
Rblong3 (05-13-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:46 PM
Serg95

Originally Posted by NiLL
Duels sound good, They just dont make the power. I've never owned an Nvidia Gemini but everyone I have heard sounds beautiful.
Borla was quieter than stock on oem cats, but raspy and hissy, lots of Decel hiss. You can hear my old 2006 (DE REvup not HR) with the Borla on my Youtube channel. IT sounded good other than a few problem spots.
Not an HKS fan at all.
Motordyne has so many horribly developed spots like the Y-Pipe section on the the muffler they are trying to pass as an X-pipe. but it sounds great ill give them that.
Fast Intentions is so massively over priced for how shitty of an engineering job it is. I can write a huge essay on what an X-pipe is and what it does, What they have is not an X-pipe.

Having used both types, I by far prefer 2 in to 1 with a Y-pipe. But i'm also building my car for High RPMs (370z Intake plenum, cams coming coon, Big primary Long tubes)
If you are staying NA the piping size is hard to get right because almost no one cares enough about it. Stock headers dump to 2.33" inside diameter where aftermarket dump to 2.5" *Most* HFCs and Test pips are 2.5"
If you are staying single stock headers you ideally want 2.33" to 2.5" Test pipe then 2.5" to 3" Y-pipe, then 3" out the back
Duals you want 2.33" to 2.25" then 2.25" dual pips out the back, with a properly designed H-pipe for low end power or X pipe for high end power.
Wider the pipe the more flow you can have but at slower speed. Higher velocity you have the more savaging you get. There is a balance to it.

Insted of resonated Test pipes, get straight ones and pick up a ThaiTanium resonated Y. This removed all Hiss for me (I also have LTHs that output to 2.5")
Thanks for the info!

At this point, I am thinking to go custom. I really like that resonated Y pipe.
What I have in mind is doing test pipes, with a resonated Y pipe like the Thaitanium you mentioned. Then in the stock resonator section, either a muffler or an aftermarket resonator. Then have that split into the two tailpipes. So going with your advice, 2.5in test pipes, 2.5in Y pipe, 3in midpipe, but what about after the midpipe, where the two pipes go to the exhaust tips? 2.5in? I really want to have two tips, inastead of single exit. Also, that Thaitanium Y pipe probably helps with the sound since its titanium. I've read that Ti changes the exhaust note.

Last edited by Serg95; 05-09-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:54 PM
NiLL

Also, that Thaitanium Y pipe probably helps with the sound since its titanium. I've read that Ti changes the exhaust note.
It does, I went with the Stainless steel one though as the TI one does not do much for volume. The Tomei with Long tubes was insane. Now I can drive it under 3000 RPMs or light load and now blow out my neighbors windows, but when i'm on it, you can hear me 2 miles away. This was my goal.

As for piping size, its all about the Merge, that will be so far back behind the merge you can probably get away with 3". 2.25/2.5" Would probably be ideal.

Quick Reply: Need help with exhaust