Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A couple of new mods for my Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 10:40 AM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Since I'm patiently waiting on my parts to arrive and I was on vacation the past few days I decided to experiment with changing up my interior a little bit. I have added a leather steering wheel cover and I hydrodipped my shift console.

The leather steering wheel cover I installed and removed about 4 times. I can't seem to get it perfect around the spokes and it drives me crazy. I compare it to the steering wheels on my AMG cars and you can tell I'm not a pro I will be ordering a carbon fiber steering wheel in a month because this leather cover didn't quite pan out the way I had hoped.

As for the shift console, I plan on resanding and dipping in a carbon fiber style film. I actually like the one I used but my son isn't a big fan so I'll change it up for him. Plus it should match w the steering wheel when it arrives. I plan on dipping some of the other interior parts as well. It was a cool project because my 8yr old daughter and 11yr old son both helped. They like to dabble w the cars so its always a nice bonding experience. I had the shift console wrapped in Vivid Epoxy Gloss Carbon Fiber wrap but it wasn't coming out perfect and it bugged me. Here are some pics of our work.

W

1st time dipping

Wrap Job

Steering Wheel Cover

This was my first attempt at it

Last edited by ntwillie1; 09-08-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:33 PM
ntwillie1

Some of my goodies started arriving today. Got the tow hook, but the pitch is wrong on the rod so i'll have to exchange it. Also got the Shine Auto CF side skirts. I think they look gorgeous. These install via screws/nuts/bolts and not double sided tape so i'm just going to get a body shop to do them for me. Anyway, a couple of pics attached I'll post more pics once the skirts get installed..

Old 09-10-2020, 07:09 PM
Lyleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Side skirts look amazing! Well done on the shift console as well, I think it turned out really well
The following users liked this post:
ntwillie1 (09-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:44 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Any recent pics of the car?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:42 PM
ntwillie1

All I have right now is a pic of the new skirts. I will try to get a better pic soon but here’s a preview.

also resanded and painted the shift console tonight to prep for round 2 of hydro dip as the new pattern arrived. Still waiting on the headers, TB and tow hook.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 09-14-2020 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:24 PM
ntwillie1

My second round of hydro dipping failed pretty miserably. Twice. I think its the film I used this time. For now I’ve gone back to a wrap.

On a better note my Z1 headers and hoses arrived today. Still no TB. Will schedule install and tune for some time in October.

Nice packaging.

Headers

Headers
The following users liked this post:
mr. sparco (09-18-2020)
Old 09-18-2020, 06:13 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Keep an eye out for fitment on those, I had issues with them and ended up sending them back and getting Tomei headers instead. Best decision I made TBH the Tomei are so much nicer and the fitment is just amazing, like OEM.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Keep an eye out for fitment on those, I had issues with them and ended up sending them back and getting Tomei headers instead. Best decision I made TBH the Tomei are so much nicer and the fitment is just amazing, like OEM.
I bought these from R/T Tuning and they are doing the install so hopefully no issues w fitment. If so, then i'd return to them and just get the Tomei. I figured they were similar in build quality and performance so I went w Z1 since I was buying more of their stuff. Thanks for letting me know. When these get finally installed, scheduled for early November at this point, I'll post results.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:50 PM
ntwillie1

The Z1 75MM Throttle Body arrived today around lunch time. I ran out and installed it after dinner. Had to make a run to the store to get a 5mm Allen key/bolt extension. That was probably the hardest part of the install, lol. The gaskets also have two different sides, one that is completely smooth and one that has a marbleized looking surface so I called Z1 just to ask which way they should face. Smooth side (no pattern or graphics) always towards the manifold if that helps anyone in the future. Anyway, took me about an hour going slowly and carefully. I didn't want to remove the strut bar and I didn't want to scratch my CF intake tube. Getting the silicone elbow/extension piece over the new throttle body was a bit of a pain. I'm going to order a new one designed to fit a larger throttle body.

After the installation I ran through the Idle relearn process which was pretty straight forward. Even before doing that though, no CELs or rough idling or anything like that so it was a good start. I took the car for a spin aftterwards taking it easy at first and it was not noticeable at all. Figured oh well, I got a little bling piece out of this experiment. Later once I started getting on it a bit it felt like my throttle response was smoother. Butt dyno feels like I got something out of it but its could very well just be in my head. Either way, I am happy w the product and the install.

I will say if someone interested in this mod wants a little more bling then the CZP and the NWP 75 MM Throttle Bodies are better looking units. But overall, I am happy w the mod.

This tool saved me a lot of trouble. Payed about $4 at Advanced Auto.

Left Side Stock, Right side Z1 75MM

Installed, no Intake

Job Done. I have to replace that black silicone elbow. Going to get a blue one to match my radiator and expansion hoses.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:34 PM
Lyleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn’t you feel most of the power after the tune or can the ecu dial everything in by itself?
Old 09-22-2020, 05:41 PM
ntwillie1

The Idle reset is just to avoid any rough idling issues that may arise. I agree that after the tune I should feel the difference more. My car is already tuned, but since i'm installing headers, we'll be retuning it and getting some dyno runs in. Like I said, it was probably in my head. What do they call that, placebo effect or something?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:27 PM
mr. sparco

If you can fit the stock strut bar back in, I would highly recommend it. I had the Cusco one for many years and didn't know what I had done to my car until I put the stock one back on. I could literally feel the difference around corners with the stock bar. If you know your car well and the way it behaves, you will notice the improvement in handling.

The Cusco one made the car handle and feel the same as driving around with no strut bar at all, sloppy. The pivot points on the Cusco one is more of an aesthetic piece since there is so much flex that it negates the actual intended functionality of a strut bar.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 AM
DarkZ03

Alternatively if you want bling and functionality get a Carbing bar.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:17 AM
ntwillie1

Thanks for that info Mr Sparco. I don’t drive the car a lot so I honestly haven’t noticed it much. The car is 15 years old and has 33k miles on it. Years ago when I ordered the Cusco it was because I liked the way it looked. At the time I also thought it was an upgrade but since you posted this I have done a little research and it seems you are correct.

Somehow I haven’t heard of carbing before (spend more time fooling around w my MBs) but thanks for mentioning them Dark. I researched them too and it seems like they make a quality strut bar. After I get this header install sorted out I may pick up the carbing FTSB and sell my Cusco.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:12 PM
mr. sparco

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Thanks for that info Mr Sparco. I don’t drive the car a lot so I honestly haven’t noticed it much. The car is 15 years old and has 33k miles on it. Years ago when I ordered the Cusco it was because I liked the way it looked. At the time I also thought it was an upgrade but since you posted this I have done a little research and it seems you are correct.
I've driven my z a little bit more than you, bought new in 05, now at 40k miles. lol

The Carbing one that Dark recommends is much nicer looking than OEM.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:39 PM
DarkZ03

Reason why I got it, it's a shame they don't sell the MCB version of it for LHD anymore.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:23 AM
ntwillie1

Just wanted to provide a quick update - happy w the TB but it does rub on the hood a bit.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:44 PM
DarkZ03

CZP adapter would fix that. But it's expensive for what it is.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:57 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by Davilas24
I've got the z1 z tube with a jwt popcharger, art pipes with z1 y pipe single exit, and a z1 plenum spacer. Getting a tune 1 week from tomorrow hopefully I can crack the 270+ range on my 04, thats it for engine mods for me as far as power goes, I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible
any update on your numbers after the tune?
Old 09-27-2020, 04:16 PM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
CZP adapter would fix that. But it's expensive for what it is.
I agree w your suggestion.

I’ve decided to take a different approach. I ordered upper and lower plenum for my Z from Shift Tech Performance. The Throttle body will then bolt on directly to the new intake manifold/upper plenum. All of this will be installed before or when I do my headers in a few weeks. I’m also replacing my Power Labs plenum spacer w a motordyne so I’ll be putting that up for sale at some point. Once the breathing and exhaust mods get installed it will go on the dyno and get tuned. In addition to performance this should help clean up my engine bay a bit as well. Shift Tech definitely has some good looking pieces.

The only bad thing about this is that after I get the car back it goes to bed for the Winter and won’t likely come out again til March.

I’m really getting excited about my car now .

Quick Reply: A couple of new mods for my Z