Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A couple of new mods for my Z

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 09:22 AM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default A couple of new mods for my Z

So I’ve been wanting to see if I can squeeze a few more horses out of my 2005 NA application.

i’m thinking of going w a Z1 throttle body and the Z1 headers wrapped. Then I will retune the car. Currently I have An Osiris tune on it and the car has a catback, intake, plenum spacer and hfcs. Last time I dyno’d at RT Tuning I believe I got low 260s whp from it. I’m going to look for my dyno results to confirm.

i was initially aiming for 300 whp but thats going to require some more work. Cams and pistons likely. I was considering the Kinetix velocity manifold but it seems to have mixed reviews. Also considered the plenum V but not sure about that one either. I live in Nj and emissions are strict here. Last time I went for inspection they spent extra time on my car almost looking for a reason to fail it. Luckily I passed but it seems they get stricter each time.

i’ll post up pictures of the before and after on the headers and also my dyno results.

if anyone has any recommendations I’d be happy to hear them. Thanks for reading.
The following users liked this post:
fbuser (06-19-2024)
Old 08-10-2020, 10:47 AM
Franknbeans

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry , no recommendations but with 60+ views I figured you were owned a comment.

I'm all stock on the motor. Only done down pipes. I track my ride all the time so I figured if I left the motor a lone it would last longer. LOL
ARRRT (02-24-2021)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:25 AM
ntwillie1

Thanks Frank.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:43 AM
Dr Hoon

Received 292 Likes on 232 Posts

I'll second Frank, Stock motor, test pipes and pretty much open exhaust in my track Z. Hoping if I leave it alone it will just keep running. I might do long headers instead of the test pipes at some point if I have a reason to dig in the engine bay. I'd be curious to see how much gain there is from a bigger throttle body.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:56 AM
ntwillie1

When you guys say stock motor you mean you aren’t messing w any internals right? But otherwise still doing intakes and exhausts. Just want to understand your approach. I feel i’m stockish as I know I have messed w a tune but I don’t think its aggressively tuned.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM
Dr Hoon

Received 292 Likes on 232 Posts

I haven't touched the intake either. My understand it that at least on DE cars there's not much to be gained and probably more to be lost by going to an aftermarket intake cone. I also haven't touched the intake manifold but that's because I've been preoccupied with suspension, brakes and weight management. Once I run out of handling improvements I can do easily, I'll probably turn to plenum spacers, manifold, throttle body, etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dr Hoon:
ARRRT (02-24-2021), Franknbeans (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:24 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,097 Likes on 777 Posts

Just to give you a point of reference, I have an 05 also. I hit 270hp at the wheels when I tuned it with uprev with the following relevant mods:

3.5" admin tuning intake
75mm nwp TBZ1 angled plenum spacer
Berk HFCs
Motordyne TDX2 exhaust

So, depending on true gains that you get from headers, that should help you estimate where you may be.
Aeneas137 (10-22-2023)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:17 AM
ntwillie1

Thanks Heel. I will post my results when I am done. My tuner says w my mods I should expect about 270whp. I was hoping for more but we’ll see.

If it just ends up sounding better I’d still be happy. But of course having more HP will make me even happier.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 08-11-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:56 PM
ntwillie1

Well, I ordered the headers and the thermal wrap yesterday. RT Tuning will be installing those for me.

I also ordered the Z1 75mm throttle body. I’ll be doing that myself before the headers. And I got some Z1 radiator hoses to replace my 15 year old stock ones. Those are really just to dress up the engine bay a bit since I think my stock ones are still fine.

After the headers get installed the car will get tuned same day.

I’m on the fence about doing some JWT C8 cams. Don’t think the bang for the buck is there, however, since I’m not planning FI I guess i’ll just have to suck it up.

I’m considering some shine auto parts as well. CF side skirt and ts diffuser. I have authentic Veliside v1 underwings but they aren’t CF like the front lip so kinda throws my theme off.

i’ll update as I make progress.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 09-25-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:51 PM
Lyleri

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm interested to see what you will make. For now I'm stock other than a catback and test pipes, but I'm thinking of getting the z1 plenum spacer and an uprev tune soon.

If you made low 260s before then hopefully I can get close to 270 with test pipes instead of high flow cats.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:20 PM
Davilas24

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got the z1 z tube with a jwt popcharger, art pipes with z1 y pipe single exit, and a z1 plenum spacer. Getting a tune 1 week from tomorrow hopefully I can crack the 270+ range on my 04, thats it for engine mods for me as far as power goes, I'd like to keep it as reliable as possible
Old 09-02-2020, 06:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

the number all depend on the dyno also. my hr hit 286 with intakes, tune, art pipes, tdx2 on a mustang dyno

just remember, its only a number and dont get upset if you are below what you think you should be... but you will feel the difference.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:10 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Good luck with that Shine diffuser, I asked them and they said lead time is almost a year out. I wasn't going to wait a year for a diffuser lol.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:15 AM
ntwillie1

wow, that is crazy. I'm gonna call them today. I also have to figure out if it would even fit w my TurboXS catback. I was watching an install video this morning and realized that due to the design of my exhaust it might not fit which would suck for me. The only other rear bumper I like is the Charge Speed. I made the mistake many years ago of buying a charge speed replica rear and the fitment was the absolute worst. So if i got that I'd only go authentic this time around but i'd prefer the diffuser.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 09-04-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:22 AM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
Good luck with that Shine diffuser, I asked them and they said lead time is almost a year out. I wasn't going to wait a year for a diffuser lol.
btw, what did you get instead of the shine diffuser?
Old 09-03-2020, 06:33 PM
DarkZ03

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
btw, what did you get instead of the shine diffuser?
I got the carbon creations version of the same diffuser, it's not as good quality wise and doesn't come with all the necessary brackets or hardware.
Thing is I'm installing it on a bumper that has the Shine Amuse rear lip, so I'm going to have to do some cutting and trimming to get it to fit properly so I'd figure it would be ok since I would probably need to make my own brackets anyway.

Last edited by DarkZ03; 09-03-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:31 AM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
I got the carbon creations version of the same diffuser, it's not as good quality wise and doesn't come with all the necessary brackets or hardware.
Thing is I'm installing it on a bumper that has the Shine Amuse rear lip, so I'm going to have to do some cutting and trimming to get it to fit properly so I'd figure it would be ok since I would probably need to make my own brackets anyway.
So I called them and it was like a 24 week wait. I went ahead and put my name on the list. They said I am number 12. I don’t mind waiting since winter is only a few months out.

I also wanted the carbon fiber side skirt piece and they have one in stock because someone had cancelled their order so I picked it up. Went out same day so I should be getting it in a few days.

Hope I don’t get flamed but I also picked up a front tow hook, Autotechnic, in blue. In Jersey we have to have a front license plate so it will only be on for local car shows. Considered the MCR but $200 for something i use 8 hrs a year was kinda pricey.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:29 PM
DarkZ03

I don't think you would get flamed, I think they are extremely cheesy if you don't track your car but whatever. Nice pickup on the side skirts!
Old 09-04-2020, 07:25 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
So I called them and it was like a 24 week wait. I went ahead and put my name on the list. They said I am number 12. I don’t mind waiting since winter is only a few months out.
I also wanted the carbon fiber side skirt piece and they have one in stock because someone had cancelled their order so I picked it up. Went out same day so I should be getting it in a few days.
Just be sure that the left and right side mounting brackets are not the same for the rear diffuser. Ken sent me two left side brackets and I had to make my own for the right side. It wasn't a big deal but still added hassle. The rear diffuser does "pull down" on the bumper on extended highway runs and you will have to readjust or hard mount it to the rear support beam, otherwise it is mostly held on by the plastic bumper cover. The hardware included is just bent up aluminum flat bar and two pieces of aluminum sheet metal stock. The actual carbon diffuser is very high quality, nearly race car parts, light and very strong.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:11 AM
ntwillie1

Originally Posted by mr. sparco
Just be sure that the left and right side mounting brackets are not the same for the rear diffuser. Ken sent me two left side brackets and I had to make my own for the right side. It wasn't a big deal but still added hassle. The rear diffuser does "pull down" on the bumper on extended highway runs and you will have to readjust or hard mount it to the rear support beam, otherwise it is mostly held on by the plastic bumper cover. The hardware included is just bent up aluminum flat bar and two pieces of aluminum sheet metal stock. The actual carbon diffuser is very high quality, nearly race car parts, light and very strong.
thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply: A couple of new mods for my Z