Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

A couple of new mods for my Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 08:03 AM
Dr Hoon

Received 292 Likes on 232 Posts

I recently installed the Kinetix intake, 75mm TB and CZP adapter in my '06. I can say that this combo does wonders for top end power, the car is pulling hard all the way to the redline now whereas before it was falling on its face around 6k RPM. I feel like the mid range torque might be a bit lower, but I'm still on stock tune so a good dyno tune will likely bring that back. Since my car is purely track duty and spends most of its life in the 5-7k range, the top end gains are much more important to me than low end torque. I've been delaying getting a proper tune until I can install long headers myself, but I'm glad to see the car runs fine with these modification on a stock tune.
The following users liked this post:
Aeneas137 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:14 AM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 413 Likes on 236 Posts

id really think twice about running a light weight crank pulley. it does next to nothing for the performance of the engine, yet does VASTLY less for its job of damping the vibration from each cylinder explosion... i will never not run an ATI on anything i build again.. but the factory rubber isolated pulley is still a far better and safer option than a billet aluminum one.

Espeeeecially on a DE engine.. these are notorious for crank walk and have a much weaker crank gircle area than the HR engines do.

Easy thing to swap out, may help your engine longevity by a large degree.
Old 06-18-2024, 07:46 AM
ntwillie1

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101
id really think twice about running a light weight crank pulley. it does next to nothing for the performance of the engine, yet does VASTLY less for its job of damping the vibration from each cylinder explosion... i will never not run an ATI on anything i build again.. but the factory rubber isolated pulley is still a far better and safer option than a billet aluminum one.

Espeeeecially on a DE engine.. these are notorious for crank walk and have a much weaker crank gircle area than the HR engines do.

i completely agree. They did nothing for me. I was hard headed and went ahead w them anyway and wish i hadn’t.
Old 06-18-2024, 08:52 AM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by bmccann101

I think the lightweight dampener is an improvement on heavy engines but not a small/medium VQ V6. I installed one on my 4.6 Mustang back in the day and it helped but I wouldn't bother with it on a VQ. The other engines I'm dealing with today are BMW i6 and Porsche h6, and it's not worth the trouble on those either. intake manifolds seem to be the best bang for your buck. And all of these platforms, that produces good power gains, like Hoon said.. The spacer made a nice improvement so I'm sure that kinetix intake is a good choice for a track car. I wouldn't use it for a street car though. The polymer intake would be a better choice for that I think.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:05 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
I think the lightweight dampener is an improvement on heavy engines but not a small/medium VQ V6. I installed one on my 4.6 Mustang back in the day and it helped but I wouldn't bother with it on a VQ. The other engines I'm dealing with today are BMW i6 and Porsche h6, and it's not worth the trouble on those either. intake manifolds seem to be the best bang for your buck. And all of these platforms, that produces good power gains, like Hoon said.. The spacer made a nice improvement so I'm sure that kinetix intake is a good choice for a track car. I wouldn't use it for a street car though. The polymer intake would be a better choice for that I think.
I have It and I wouldn't use ANYTHING else, the Kinetix is superior to any other setup other than an extensively modified factory plenum.
The only reason to not use it would be if you never rev past 3k and if that's the case, I question why you have a sports car.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Aeneas137

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by DarkZ03
I have It and I wouldn't use ANYTHING else, the Kinetix is superior to any other setup other than an extensively modified factory plenum.
The only reason to not use it would be if you never rev past 3k and if that's the case, I question why you have a sports car.
oh, well that's good to know. I figured the polymer intake is better for a street car because you're not going to be revving above 5K driving around town or commuting to work. I mean, I get your point about a sports car but you don't drive around at 6K all day long do you?
Old 06-20-2024, 09:20 PM
DarkZ03

Received 492 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeneas137
oh, well that's good to know. I figured the polymer intake is better for a street car because you're not going to be revving above 5K driving around town or commuting to work. I mean, I get your point about a sports car but you don't drive around at 6K all day long do you?
No I don't, but i dont think there is a day where I drive the the car and don't rev to 7k at least once.
spacers or other manifolds might be better from idle to 4k, but this thing pulls from 4k and up. I'm also notorious for keeping revs above 3500 because I like being in the meaty part of the powerband, so it kinda suits my driving style.